16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Good powder for 16
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:38 am  Reply with quote

I use a lot of Longshot It is available and reasonably priced.

Look here to see the cutter I make if you shoot a lot of shorts this will save you a lot of time. $25.00 delivered
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IcO9eyJnCg

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Winchester Super Field is one of my favored powders. Some cases just don't last no matter what you try.

SW39Tom
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:25 am  Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the notes I was looking for a more detail on the loads, I see looking through the pinned low pressure group post, ( a bit of reading) that a whole bunch of powder options are there but not much detail on the loads, still reading.

I was seeing that DR16 wads are pref for the 3/4 loads, so I will have to fins some and bring them in.

In the mean time I am still working on getting the Mec 600 Jr setup, to show how much of a newbie I am to shot shell reloading, the charge bar being fixed for loading was not a thought, So since it was hard to find anything 16 ga related at my local stops, I was out in PA at the range and saw Cabela's had the adjustable dial in charging bar for the MEC, so I picked up the part, so this morning looks like I will be making my first loads.

Will be joining the 16 ga society group once I can figure out how the website join is down.

thanks again
SW39Tom
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:28 am  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
I use a lot of Longshot It is available and reasonably priced.

Look here to see the cutter I make if you shoot a lot of shorts this will save you a lot of time. $25.00 delivered
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IcO9eyJnCg

Thanks for the note, I will be getting a hold of you once I get settled in here with my first loads, I already have the BPI unit which not really happy with, but it was part of a complete kit, which I am happy with all the rest of the items, so I guess you can say it;s a wash.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:50 am  Reply with quote

You also can buy new 2 1/2" hulls .

If want specific data , tell us what you are looking for , 1oz ,7/8oz , 3/4oz ??? Hull , primer , powder, wad . ???? I sure some one can help you , you can join the yahoo groups there is lots if data on both sites.

That are also alot of test loads that have been developed and shared on this site , do some searches and be more specific about what you are looking for .
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:52 am  Reply with quote

I must be doing something terribly wrong because I have shot and reloaded a batch of Fiocchi hulls several times with 3 different guns, multiple powders, multiple wad types, some cut down to 2 1/2", some buckled due to gross reloading buffoonery and subsequently straightened with pliers, with not one single solitary split hull. I try everything I can think of with those hulls and they just sit in the bucket and stare back at me.

I like Unique but it has become nigh impossible to obtain so I use anything I can get my hands on. Unique is a dirty filthy burning powder with a thick oily blue smoke but it handles anything as well or better than other powders.

Brewster
SW39Tom
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
You also can buy new 2 1/2" hulls .

If want specific data , tell us what you are looking for , 1oz ,7/8oz , 3/4oz ??? Hull , primer , powder, wad . ???? I sure some one can help you , you can join the yahoo groups there is lots if data on both sites.

That are also alot of test loads that have been developed and shared on this site , do some searches and be more specific about what you are looking for .

Thanks for the reply, been clicking around the forum looking for info and have found some here and there, we have Unique and WSF.

So First and foremost I will start with for Ched hulls w/209 primers, cut for 2-1/2 running 7/8 oz of #8 and or #7.5 lead shot with BPI SG16 wads what is the range of low to high for Unique and WSF,
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

Unique is not a good powder for 7/8oz or 3/4oz in the 16ga , it makes great 1 oz loads . I tried it with 7/8oz in a 2 1/2" a few years ago and it worked fine except it burn very dirty .

Here are some 1oz load you could reduce the shot to 7/8oz and try them.
WW 16 Poly 1 oz. Unique 19.0 Win 209 BPI SG 16 1156 7,300 Hodgdon
WW 16 Poly 1 oz. Unique 20.0 Win 209 BPI SG 16 1209 8,200 Hodgdon
WW 16 Poly 1 oz. Unique 21.0 Win 209 BPI SG 16 1254 9,180 Hodgdon

Don't have any experance with WSF in 16ga
SW39Tom
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Unique is not a good powder for 7/8oz or 3/4oz in the 16ga , it makes great 1 oz loads . I tried it with 7/8oz in a 2 1/2" a few years ago and it worked fine except it burn very dirty .

Here are some 1oz load you could reduce the shot to 7/8oz and try them.
WW 16 Poly 1 oz. Unique 19.0 Win 209 BPI SG 16 1156 7,300 Hodgdon
WW 16 Poly 1 oz. Unique 20.0 Win 209 BPI SG 16 1209 8,200 Hodgdon
WW 16 Poly 1 oz. Unique 21.0 Win 209 BPI SG 16 1254 9,180 Hodgdon

Don't have any experance with WSF in 16ga

Thank you FN16ga just what I was looking for - owe you one.

Wink
jswanson
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

FYI, as regards the Fiocchi hulls. There is a significant difference between reloading once fired factory loaded hulls vs new (never fired) factory primed hulls. I'm not a 100 sure as to the why but the factory loaded ammo is quite susceptible to case splitting.

Once fired factory primed hulls have proven (to me any way) to be quite reliable.

My first choice are federal but I haven't had any problems with the Fio.

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:36 am  Reply with quote

jswanson,

Sorry I am a bit confused by your terminology.

Are you saying that newly purchased hulls work well for you or that factory ammo reloaded works well or maybe both?

I just wanted to make sure I understood your comment.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:56 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
...I like Unique but it has become nigh impossible to obtain so I use anything I can get my hands on. Unique is a dirty filthy burning powder with a thick oily blue smoke but it handles anything as well or better than other powders.

Brewster

Unique may not be the cleanest burning powder ever, but the latest version from Alliant is definitely cleaner burning than the original production from Hercules. Unique is like other double base flake powders w/ mid-range burning speeds. It is very flexible and can be used for all gauges except .410 and for most handgun calibers from .32 up as well. However, average peak load pressures in shot shell loads must reach about 9.5K PSI minimum or Unique won't burn efficiently. My best 12, 16, and 28 gauge loads are in the 10K to 11K PSI range. I suggest anyone look at the average peak pressures of their Unique loads. Most likely, their problems w/ fouling lies there.