16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Model 12 refurb -totally COMPLETE
dilly
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

Stevo94 wrote:
Hey Dilly,
Excellent work on the checkering, I know that is difficult to do. And the wood is fantastic. I am also in Ontario and was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me what it cost to get the gun choked at Briley and the Simmons rib installed. I have a M12 16 made in 1929 and have just had it re-blued. It is full choke, so I'd like to get it either choked or opened up. Obviously chokes would be the preferred option, but with the exchange rate the way it is....I'm in the same boat as you, I have way more into this gun than it is worth, but I want to make it a shooter and keep it forever, so might as well make it how I want it!!

Thanks!

Cool! DO you shoot short shells through your 1929? Who did your re-blue?

I went through Lawrey shooting sports http://lawryshootingsports.com/page/store to get the choke work done. I think current pricing is on their website. They are professional and easy to deal with.
Getting the gun to Simmons was a different story and I had to take it into the states myself. Their pricing is on their website as well. They too were SUPER to deal with.

Stevo94
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Hey dilly,
I've never seen short shells! My gun has a 2.75" chamber so I load skeet loads for it and just bought a flat of hunting ammo from Lawry's! I deal with them all the time.
I guess I'll just look up Lawry's pricing and see what they say. I checked the Briley site a few months ago and with exchange rate, shipping and taxes I figured approx $500. Then there's the duty and border crossing hassle to add to that.....also looking to get the new A5 Sweet Sixteen. We'll see where that takes me!
Stevo94
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry, my re-blue was done by Grech Outdoors out of Mount Forest.
dilly
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Stevo94 wrote:
Hey dilly,
I've never seen short shells! My gun has a 2.75" chamber so I load skeet loads for it and just bought a flat of hunting ammo from Lawry's! I deal with them all the time.
I guess I'll just look up Lawry's pricing and see what they say. I checked the Briley site a few months ago and with exchange rate, shipping and taxes I figured approx $500. Then there's the duty and border crossing hassle to add to that.....also looking to get the new A5 Sweet Sixteen. We'll see where that takes me!

Sounds about right. I did it when the dollar exchange was better and it came in around $400 with 3 chokes. Lawrey takes care of all the boarder hassles.

zoli 16ga.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Stevo, you may find that rolling/shooting spred'r disk loads will give as good patterns out of that fine full choke, as going the briley way.

I opened my M12 to IC (professionally) and found that the patterns were almost equal to using spred'rs in the full choke.....but now I do not have a full choke. A factory Full choke on an M12 is claimed to be the finest ever created. My full choke pattern sheets proved that, nontheless I still opened her up : (

The gun is still killer on geese though, with hand rolled non spreader 1oz.of #5's

Stevo94
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:29 am  Reply with quote

zoli 16ga. wrote:
Stevo, you may find that rolling/shooting spred'r disk loads will give as good patterns out of that fine full choke, as going the briley way.

I opened my M12 to IC (professionally) and found that the patterns were almost equal to using spred'rs in the full choke.....but now I do not have a full choke. A factory Full choke on an M12 is claimed to be the finest ever created. My full choke pattern sheets proved that, nontheless I still opened her up : (

The gun is still killer on geese though, with hand rolled non spreader 1oz.of #5's

Zoli,
Thanks for the info, sounds intriguing! Can you describe a spreader load? I've heard of them, just never made any. If you could tell me what I need, I will try this for sure.

Thanks!
zoli 16ga.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Pm'd you.

Don.