16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Most reliable primer for light strikes?
MilRob
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:21 am  Reply with quote

I have a 2 barrel Fox set and one of the barrels is slightly off center of the action. This results in the firing pin not hitting dead center on the primer. Everything is correct mechanically with the gun. I am trying to avoid having 2 new firing pins put in with the pins angled to try and get a more consistent fire.

Are there any primers that are more reliable with light/off center strikes than others? Gunsmith suggested trying several different loads and primers to try and find one that will fire consistently.

Thanks for any help
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:28 am  Reply with quote

I have found the Winchester 209 to be very tolerant of off center or light strikes.

Mike

mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:24 am  Reply with quote

Rob, my Belgian OU 16 has a little of that same issue. For some reason it does fine with Remington hulls, either factory new RGL's or my reloads with W209 primers. I'm not sure if the brass is thicker in the right spot on the Rem hulls or what, but it's worth checking in to. I just reserve my Remington ammo and hulls for that shotgun. It's been the cure for me. Mark Beasland said the next step would be to get the pin bushed and that's expensive.
byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:49 am  Reply with quote

every Federal cap I have cracked has worked. Had a Huglu that was off that way causing mis fires now and then. I could put that shell in another gun and it would fire just fine. Using Federal primers in that Huglu it always fired. it turned out the Firing pin was a frogs hair short and it wobbled in its seat. I made a new one and it was really fixed.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
JNW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Federal 209As are super reliable when smacked in the middle, but they are not reliable with off center hits. If you look at them they are slightly domed, making the outer part of the primer farther away from the breach face. I haven't had problems with any of the major primers - Federal, Winchester, Remington or Cheddite. Have not used enough Fiocchi, Noble Sport, or Rios to determine their reliability.
I know someone else with the exact same problem with an after market 2 barreled Fox. He ended up having new angled firing pins made and I think that gun was still picky about primers. Hope a different primer fixes this.
Regards,
Jeff
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:20 am  Reply with quote

For what its worth, the hardest primers (or possibly the thickest) I have used are CCI 209 or 209M. I had partial pin dents in the primers with several different guns over the years. Not much of a problem in most, but a definite issue with one gun in particular.
As others have stated, my luck with Win primers has been excellent and Federals are very easy to to punch but are indeed domed and might cause problems with your off center pins.

kiwicharlin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

I have that issue sometimes in my gun with brand spanking Clever Mirage cartridges. I don't know what the factory primers are - all silver coloured so Cheddites maybe?.

I reload the same empties with Win 209 and they always go bang.