16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Crimp issue... Help !
Garvfam1
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Recipe : win poly (once fired). BP SG-16, 19gr Unique, win209, 1oz mixed 7.5, 8, 9.

When I start crimp the win poly it has difficulty getting a good start. Then the final crimps gets a fold on one of the 6. If I hold the crimp starter and guide it down level it seems to work better. Ive inspected it and see nothing visually wrong ???

Matthew 25:31-46
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:39 am  Reply with quote

Your trouble is common to most 6 point crimp starters. Indexing the starter to the hull or the hull to the starter usually solves the problem. For some reloader designs, it is best to lock the starter in one position and index the hulls. Trial and error will tell you what is best for your reloader.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Do what 16gg says and if that doesn't work then see my earlier post "handy trick For crimp starter" http://16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17840

Brewster
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:29 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy is right -- you can't quite trust a 6-point crimp starter to guide itself correctly every time. On my old MEC metal Spindex crimpers I tighten up the ring to lock the corrugated crimp starter (you might have to take out that spacer or washer someone else recommended), and then mark the outside with a Sharpie. The oldest MEC 6-point metal crimp starters (before Spindex) had an alignement mark stamped into them! Anyway, once your crimp starter has been marked and fixed, then simply align a previous crimp fold with the mark and do the crimp start operation.

I also mark the new black plastic MEC crimp starters by placing a thin strip of blue masking tape on the outside, lined up with one of the spines of the starter. Of course you can't lock these in position, so you simply place the shell in position, and with one finger quickly rotate the starter into position, referring to the mark. You don't have to be exact -- within about 15 degrees is enough.

Sometimes even the black plastic 8-point starters have a location problem. If the hull has been fired a few times and the edge of the hull mouth is a little rough the 8-pointer will locate on a rough spot and land in a bad place. With those, I simply note the position of a shell that started properly, and then try to place the next shell in the same place, and try to keep the black crimp starter from having to rotate a lot. It's not much trouble, and it helps. The few extra seconds taken to load a box of shells that way is much less than the time than it takes to repair one bad crimp start.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:02 am  Reply with quote

all good advice and I can't add much other than I know my older 600 set up for 10ga has the static crimp starter with the indicator on the side and works fine, the sizemaster set up for 16ga w/spindex does not work all the time and I was thinking of doing as mentioned and making it static.

One thing in the OP caught my eye and need to ask/understand, sorry for the thread derailment, in the recipe it reads; "1oz mixed 7.5, 8, 9."...do you create 3 different shells with the same recipe 1oz of each 7.5, 8 & 9 sizes? Or you mix the shot together and load 1oz of mixed shot sizes in all shells?