16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hevi-Shot Load information
wscato
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

Just wondering if there was anymore load info out there for Hevi-Shot in the 16 ga. besides BPI's manual???

For anyone that is using BPI's load data just wondering what shot size you are using and if you were using the MylarThins?

I was thinking about loading up one of the Longshot recipes as soon as I get a 16 Gauge MEC.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:23 am  Reply with quote

If you're shooting decoying ducks where the average shot is 30 yards, why not shoot TM or Bismuth in your 16 gauge?? Hevi-shot has its application but it certainly isn't for a nice s/s with fixed chokes. You may pick the correct wads with your Hevi receipes but since Hevi is so much harder than even steel shot, I've had friends score their 12 gauge barrels along with punching out their screw in chokes. If you want to increase your shooting efficiency of your 16, it's somethings better to realize that in alot of instances that a 12 gauge might be the better solution. If I need to whack duck at 40 yards in bad weather, I pull out the TM, Bismuth or Hevi for those applications. Use your 16 for the closer applications. Hevi works great for a 10 or 12 gauge but I would be hesitant to use it in my nice 16 gauge.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:06 am  Reply with quote

What gun are you planning to put TM through?

Jeff
wscato
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:45 am  Reply with quote

It's a new Stoeger Condor. Shot it for the first time the other day and it's great. Just looking for some hunting load. Don't plan to use the 16 for the big ducks. Just wanted to use it for the early wood duck season here.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

If you're shooting wood ducks where they're not too tough of a bird and probably shooting in flooded timber or in a wooded situation, why not shoot TM factory loads. Hevi shot is some hard stuff and if you see how the shot can punch hole through their very tough wads, I wouldn't want to shoot it through my nice gun. Shooting woodies with either Bismuth or TM #6 is all you need...

My $.02....
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Another opinion.....I have used Hevi shot (reloads) for three seasons now in my 16 ga. without incident. There has been no wad perforation, no ruined choke tubes and no barrel scoring/rubbing. Would I use it in one of my Belgian Sweet 16's, no, but I shoot mine in a new model 1100 16 ga.
As for smacking down ducks, #6 Hevi will and has knocked down some very fat mallards out to about 45 yards for me, I don't advocate it for very long range shooting but it can handle it very nicely. Don't use any Hevi larger than #5 or you won't get the pattern results you want, #6 seems to be ideal for the 16 ga.......my .02 and field use experience.
wscato
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

16gawaterfowler:

What hull/wad combination are you using?
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

I've been loading #5 bismuth for woodies and it's super.

Jeff
wscato
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:05 am  Reply with quote

Jeff,

What Hull / Wad have you been using? I was on Hodgon's site and saw a pretty good load using Bismuth, Longshot, win209 primers using the sp16 wad and remington hull.