16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  inspecting old ammo before firing - a "how to" gui
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:40 am  Reply with quote

I've been gifted a coulpe hundred rounds of 20 & 16 gauge ammo - all vnitage stuff - paper hulls, rolled crimps, etc.

Some of it looks brand new while others look like they should go into the bin. corroded brass, bulging, pooched crimps, etc.

What do I need to look for if I intend to fire some of these rounds?

TIA
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:42 am  Reply with quote

Probably a new gun! Laughing

Actually, the worst that might happen is an occasional stuck wad. However, someone here posted that some old ammo actually gets more forceful in time. I've never seen this happen. Most of the old stuff I've fired had a fair share of duds and squib loads. However, its still a PITA to have to keep poking out stuck wads with a cleaning rod.

Why not pull the shot from the bad stuff for reloading, toss the hull in a can of kerosene to deactivate the primer, and dispose of it. The stuff that looks to be in decent condition can probably be sold or traded off to a vintage ammo collector. These guys love this old stuff for trading amongst themselves. Surprizingly enough, some of it can be considerably more valuable unfired. Why take the chance in either case. Shoot fresh, well stored, modern ammo and play it safe.
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

the keroses trick is one I hadn't heard - thanks for that tip.

as for the new gun, I see Cabelas has updated the site Cool

collector value - some of this stuff is in original boxes etc. too - I guess my nitentio is to clean up and maybe use what I could - given the number of rounds I fire annually, it should last another 10 years or so...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:47 am  Reply with quote

IF all the rounds with paper cases are domestic loads, chances are they are in excess of 35 years old and perhaps much older. you probably have no real idea how they were stored--excessive heat or cold, moisture, mildew, etc.. New Remington promo loads are fairly inexpensive. However, its your gun and your business as long as you don't stand close to another guy while firing off this old stuff. Me, I'd pass it off to a collecter and play it safe.