16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester Super X Hulls too long!
gunsnrods
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all. I have a flat and 1/2 of the new 16 gauge Super X shells. These hulls are between 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch longer than other shells, after first firing. My 1938 Model 12 Skeet will not eject these cleanly, I need to dig them out of the receiver with a pocket knife, they bounce back into the receiver. Looking for an idea to trim hull, taking small amount off the petals. Thanks for any advice.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Use Remington ammo in the Model 12 or use 2 1/2 inch ammo.

If you have to trim the hulls, then get Brydogs trimmer, he is on this site.

Do you have other 16 gauge guns for the Win ammo??

If not, TRADE with someone.

Anyone is SW Mich have any Rem ammo to trade for Win ammo?

Mike

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

See my post just a few minutes ago on 2 9/16 to 2 3/4 inch Model 12 conversions. The 2 3/4 inch Model 12's can be a bit marginal for longer hulls. Euro hulls of 70mm are actually 2.756" long or so, and can stretch a little during firing, too. US hulls of the so-called 2 3/4 inch length are usually only about 2 5/8 to 2 11/16 inch long, even the old paper hulls. Some folks report problems with Federal 2 3/4 inchers, too. Remington Gameloads I have, that are listed at 2 3/4 inch are actually 67 mm -- about 2 5/8 inch! -- Good hull for Model 12's or just about any gun, even those with 2 1/2, 65mm or 2 9/16 inch chambers. B&P still makes some 67mm shells, I think, and older Fiocchi blue factory field loads sold as 2 3/4 in the USA were 67mm. Now they are 70 mm.

Other length examples -- Winchester AA 28 gauge 2 3/4 inch HS hulls were originally only 65 mm (only 2 9/16 inch!). A few years later they were lengthened about one millimeter or so because handloaders (skeet shooters like me) had such difficulty re-loading them (capacity probs) that they simply switched to the Remington STS 28 which is dimensioned and loads very similarly to the old compression-formed AA 28. (Oddly the STS 28 is very life limited unlike STS 12's and 20's -- go figure! But I digress.) Win AAHS 20's are a little less than 67mm, and Rem STS 20's are usually a couple thou over 67mm! You will also occasionally find a 2 3/4 inch chambered Model 12 20 gauge that has trouble with 70mm Euro-hulls. The small frame Model 12 (16, 20 and 28 ) was originally designed in a shorter hull era, and is really at the limit with true 2 3/4 inch length hulls. Don't ask me how they made the 2 7/8 inch 28 work -- I haven't looked into it. If you snap the actions open smartly, usually the 70mm hull will come out OK from a 2 3/4 inch gun. But you cannot, nor should not baby the Model 12, or any other pump for that matter, when you operate it.

My Model 12 16 gauge 2 9/16 to 2 3/4 inch conversion (see other post) will do the slo-mo ejection of 70mm hulls, however, just as my 1956 2 3/4 inch Model 12 16 will do also. The hulls clear the port by mere thousandths of an inch -- maybe 10. The bevel inside, between the rim recess and the outside front port edge, is the key.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

I forgot to mention the newer (last 15 years or so?) Winchester Super-X and X-Pert 16 ga. shells, being Cheddites, are 70 mm long (Euro-hulls), which produces the problem you experience with your Model 12.
gunsnrods
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Solved the problem. The "Shortcut Shotshell Cutter" does the job. I adjusted it to the point where the trimmed empty ejects, I took off a sliver of approx 1/16 of an inch, shell ejects properly. My crimp is perfect with my cardboard overshot card in the Cheddite style Winchester hull. Highly reccomend this device, take a look at the Utube video to see it in action.