16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Browning Sweet 16
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Going to throw this grenade out to the forum:

If Browning is truly looking to crank out new Sweet 16 AND planning on their own line of ammunition,

I wish they would introduce the 16ga to a 3" chamber AND the shells to match.

Now before everyone has a fit, this is my reasoning:

A 3" shell would allow for a decent steel shot loading, it certainly would make it a waterfowl choice (can you think of a better teal shotgun?) and a lot of ground I hunt on anymore is Non-toxic only and it is getting much more difficult to find good non-toxic in 16ga or even components to load your own.

So, I use the 12ga's as I am hoarding the 16ga non-toxic loads and components.

a 3" 16ga with accompanying ammunition would make this gun a lot more versatility in the field
morngstar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:44 am  Reply with quote

My initial non-scientific side by side testing produced the following;

The heaviest factory loads, Federal 1 1/4oz #6 and #4 performed better in my 16ga 3" chambered 12ga Superposed and 16ga 725 12ga than in my Browning A5 and Ithaca 16ga. The larger tubes produced better patterns and deeper penetration. The smaller loads were close to equal. These comparisons were non-scientific with too many variables to be considered valid research.

If Browning produces a 3" 16ga, I am sure it will be overbored/backbored to maximize effectiveness. I think most here would agree that a 1oz load is most efficient in a 16ga tube.

1935 Superposed 3 inch chambered, 16ga conversion
Browning 725 16ga
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:24 am  Reply with quote

again, I am talking steel loads. Factory steel loads in 16ga are pitiful and useless.
A 3" would increase versatility of the 16ga not only for waterfowl use but on the upland as well by allowing 1- 1 1/8oz of Steel at sufficient velocity.

1 1/16oz of steel at 1450-1500fps from a 16ga barrel would be fantastic.

In lead, no, I see less use for 3" in lead. Although would make for 1 1/4 and even 1 3/8 oz loads for turkey.
rhtx55
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

I was hoping for a "Sweet Sixteen" to be introduced, designed with the upland hunter in mind.
Chamber size could definitely become an option if Browning could establish the market actually existed to justify the initial cost of production.
In your opinion, how would those that agree would go about letting Browning know of our wish to purchase one.
I am curious how they approached the past limited quantity production runs of the Citori in 16. Bill Hanus is no longer with us, perhaps someone in the know could shed some light on this subject.
Zor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote:
again, I am talking steel loads. Factory steel loads in 16ga are pitiful and useless.
A 3" would increase versatility of the 16ga not only for waterfowl use but on the upland as well by allowing 1- 1 1/8oz of Steel at sufficient velocity.

1 1/16oz of steel at 1450-1500fps from a 16ga barrel would be fantastic.

In lead, no, I see less use for 3" in lead. Although would make for 1 1/4 and even 1 3/8 oz loads for turkey.

I wouldn't go as far as saying factory steel loads are useless. While waiting on some components to roll my own I picked up some Federal 15/16 oz steel in #4 and dropped teal and pintail with em without hesitation. Even had a nice double drake/hen pintail, they fell within feet of eachother. I think if you load your own steel you could do better than factory, but I'm going with ITX for future loads. 7/8 oz at 1500 fps should be plenty for Az ducks over decoys.
4setters
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Hootch's first post. Waterfowl hunting and the guns to use enough steel shot to effectively take waterfowl has driven the pump and automatic 12 gauge market for the last 2-3 decades. And then there is turkeys---think Benelli SBE. A look at the market will show that a whole lot of hunting guns are produced only in 12 gauge and only in 3 or 3.5 inch chambers.

Back in the day of lead waterfowl loads, the Auto 5 Browning 16 was a very lethal weapon, and as a rabid Arkansas duck hunter in the 70's, and 80's, I can assure you, it was the gun of choice for many an Arkansas duck hunter. Of course it was also a very effective upland gun, along with Model 12s, I 37's, 870s, m31s, etc.

I would disagree with Hootch's 2nd post that steel loads in 16 gauge are worthless (see attached pic, all ducks killed with M37 and Citori 16). When steel became mandatory and I purchased my 1988 Citori (not too many years apart) it became my gun of choice in hunting flooded "green timber." Steel loads from Remington, Federal and Winchester (CF hulls by the way) were very effective on mallards if shots were kept under 30 yards. When I hunted fields, I used (mostly) a Benelli M1 with 2.75 reloads with 1 and 1/8th oz. of shot. No need for 3 or 3.5 inch cannons, although I occasionally shot 3 inch factory loads cause that's all one could buy.

Because of the prevalence of guns on the market for waterfowling, I would agree that a 3 inch A5 16 makes sense to me. If Browning or their supplier comes out with 3 inch steel to go with it).

Pretty much reduced to upland hunting now (don't have to get up at 4 in the morning to do that) and will probably buy an A5 16 if they come on the market. It probably won't be my favorite upland gun however.

[URL=http://s325.photobucket.com/user/mrgobblers/media/djduckquail_zps1f83d0fd.jpg.html] [/URL]

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
scraggley
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:40 am  Reply with quote

The thought of someone slipping a 3" steel load into a 2 3/4" chambered old double makes me cringe.

Art

Citori_16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

I'd prefer they not.

Serious duck and goose hunters use 12's loaded up like 10's. The Magnum 20 gauge another example of this logic.

I understand and have experienced many a day where no matter what I tried, birds skirted the decoys or flushed at ranges farther than I was comfortable shooting with a 16 gauge and steel shot.

Chalk one up for the birds, that's why it's called hunting, not grocery shopping.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Got to handle the 2016 dealer catalog today. 16 ga a5 is given the center stage treatment. Definitely selling with ds chokes, back bore, middle bead, sub 6 pound weight and recoil pad likely selling around $1450 price range.

Dealer claimed he was told by rep to expect a spring delivery date (May).

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Black Belt
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! Spring delivery would be awesome; have the summer to get to shoot before hunting season!
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...round-knob...

sorry Embarassed
El Hombre
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:13 am  Reply with quote

Charlie16ga wrote:
Got to handle the 2016 dealer catalog today. 16 ga a5 is given the center stage treatment. Definitely selling with ds chokes, back bore, middle bead, sub 6 pound weight and recoil pad likely selling around $1450 price range.

Dealer claimed he was told by rep to expect a spring delivery date (May).

Do they list the Citori 16 gauges in the 2016 catalog? If so, do they show an upgrade to the DS chokes?
Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

so, where do we go to order one? I want to be in on first shipment
JNW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,
Stop obsessing about round knobs. Heaven knows where this might lead!
Regards,
Jeff
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry el hombre did not look.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31