16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  20/28 powder
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Started using a little 20/28 for the last few weeks with the 16 citori. I can't recall where I found the recipe for 1oz but recommended 22gr. I started with 19 and worked up to 21.5 been using it on games on trap with satisfactory success. I switched muller chokes from full to IM. Working well at all yardage even from the shoot off areas approx. 15 to 25 yards behind the 27 pads. I was amazed at the piece shoots how well the shot preformed on the second shot of a piece. I figured there would be wider holes in the pattern at the long yardage but not the case. Now I have not patterned the 20/28. I usually don't pattern test. Gives me to much to think about when shooting. If I don't break targets I switch powders,or wads. Just the way I do it. Not very scientific but works for me.
Anyone else tried 20/28. Seems to meter well.
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

I reload 20/28 in my 20ga and 28ga loads. Works great and yes, it meters very well.

Have not tried it in the 16.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
susjwp
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:06 am  Reply with quote

Ive used 20/28 in 2 1/2 RSTs, using Gulandi and more recently DR-16, wads and 3/4-7/8 8 shot for clays. I settled on 20-21 gns. Soft on the shoulder and breaks clays fine.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:03 am  Reply with quote

I'm using the DRwad on 7/8 and 3/4. Clay buster AA on 1 oz with a filler between wad and powder. If i continue on good results I'll probably pickup more. Problem I have a lot of claydot and good results with that.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:40 am  Reply with quote

It appears one could/should use 20/28 by the same charge weight as Unique. It will occupy quite a bit less volume -- look at the MEC bushing charts. Looking at the published loads available, it appears to be sort of a more dense version of Unique, also formulated to flow better in reloaders. I believe that was exactly Alliant's purpose in bringing out 20/28, and even it's name tells the story. We skeet shooters had trouble getting Unique target loads into Win AA 20 ga hulls using progressive reloaders that gave us less control over wad spring-back. With Unique and even the denser but similar Universal, MEC themselves recommended the shorter Remington RXP20 wad with the 20 ga AA hull (conversely, they recommended the WAA20 wad for the Remington STS Premier hull, which had slightly greater capacity). The RXP20 was costly and had no aftermarket clone -- almost twice the price of a WAA20 Claybusters clone. Volume shooters had turned away from Unique and toward the denser Universal, but there was room in the market for an even more dense similar-acting powder due to the problems we had getting low-cost loads to fit the relatively new Win 28-HS hull which, while being sort-of straight walled (tolerating faster burn powders than HS-6 or 800-X) had low capacity. Unique and Universal would work -- you needed only 13 grains or so of an inexpensive powder (Unique) rather than 17 to 18 grains of the dense but costly HS-6 -- but in progressive loaders, you couldn't count on enough wad crush for a good fit with Unique or Universal. So Alliant ginned up 20/28, which has been a boon to volume-reloading skeet shooters -- economical as Unique, fits loads well with inexpensive clone wads, and minimizes the inventory of different powder types by sufficing for both the 20 and 28, which are shot in the highest volume of all the gages in skeet. There is a reason it was first in the "shortage" -- it simply flys off the retailer's shelves.

Anyway, 20/28 is no accident, and no mystery. It performs very, very similarly by weight to Unique. If you need it for fit reasons in other loads, Unique charge weight data is a good place to start (and maybe end). If you don't need the high density of 20/28, use Unique or Universal. There is nothing magic in the performance of 20/28 -- it is just a "fit" option.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:57 am  Reply with quote

MAX ..... +1

Beowulf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:30 am  Reply with quote

. . . mentioned Claydot. I have been looking for a recipe using Claydot in 16ga. What have you used? I use Claydot all the time for my 12 ga trapaloads in both 1oz and 1 1/8 oz loads. It works well and is clean burning.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Beowulf, I use 16.5 with clays.AA Been using on trap for 3 years now. Need a filler with claybuster wad. 1oz load. Burns clean.
Beowulf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

I've seen recipes for clays but not any for Claydot. I assume they are similar powders, but would like to see actual published data for Claydot in 16ga. I've always used PB for 16 and have about 3 lbs left, but when that is gone that's it. Since I use so much Claydot, it would be nice to be able to use it for 16 ga also.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Beowulf, They say you can use claydot same data for clays. However I've bumped it up a notch. I use mainly Chd. hulls. I tried some Rio clear. They seemed to get twice the use than the others. Only draw back is you have to use their primers. I used the primer conditioner on five just to see if it would work. Worked fine on the five.
I have had no signs of pressure problems on any hull that I use.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:50 am  Reply with quote

All great, assuming you can get any.
None on the shelves here in Maine.
shouseal
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

I load 1 oz of shot with 20.0 grains of 20/28 and an SG16 wad, for a chronographed velocity of about 1250 fps. Works very well.

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:21 am  Reply with quote

shouseal wrote:
I load 1 oz of shot with 20.0 grains of 20/28 and an SG16 wad, for a chronographed velocity of about 1250 fps. Works very well.

Thanks for sharing, I've been looking for a recipe like this.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:23 am  Reply with quote

I see it in the spread sheets BPI data

Last edited by fn16ga on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
3birddogs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Shouseal, what hull are you using for this. I have been thinking of trying 19 gr 20/28 in a 2 1/2' cheddite hull with sg16 wad and 7/8 oz. u