16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Using card wad to increase height of shot column
Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Loading 15.8 gr International in Herters 16 ga hull Chedite 209 primer. Need to increase height of shot column for better crimp.
Would it be better to use card wad over powder under dr 16 wad or use 28 ga over shot wads in bottom of shot cup before adding shot?
Chart list 7/8 oz load at 1150fps and 6200psi
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

when encountering an overall height that was too low for a tight crimp I have found that a circular piece of plastic foam (cut from supermarket meat trays) the diameter of the inside of the shot cup under the shot works best to build the shot height without unduly affecting the ballistics of the load.
Griffon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

I was loading 700X in 16ga ched hull sg16 wad. Used a 28ga nitro card in the bottom of the wad and it worked well. Loading the nitro cards was a pain in the backside. Can't imagine what a time consumer cutting foam would be unless you were loading one box of shells.

Tom Shaffer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

I feed Pro Plan Sport, 1 kibble in the shot cup works wonders.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

Pinto bean,cheerio,etc.---the idea is to add bulk/mass not weight.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

Actually you want the card wads under the shot inside the shot cup of the wad. Food disintegrates and not always consistently.

Never have had to use a filler with the DR16 and 7/8 oz. of shot. if anything they are always a bit on the long side.

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:07 am  Reply with quote

I think adding fillers under the shot is least disruptive. If worried about barrel scrub than over the shot. Under the wad messing with the powder cup/seal never seemed like a good option to me and I've never needed to add it there.

Agreed, that DR16 is pretty long and takes up a lot of space. Is the wad/cup hanging up on the way in and maybe crushing the legs a bit?

bbrown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:32 am  Reply with quote

I load that exact load in both 2-3/4" and 2-1/2" hulls. For the 2-3/4" I install the Dr-16 with zero wad pressure until it just clicks past the wad finger guide (on my mec sizemaster). I let the final crimp seat the wad and I get excellent crimps. I have done this on the Herters hulls which you can hold up to a light and they are fully seated and there are no gaps. For the 2-1/2" I fully seat the wad to somewhat compress it before you add the shot and the crimps turn out just as nice.

Hope that helps.

Ben

1 Tim 1:15
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Ducks Rx wrote:
Loading 15.8 gr International in Herters 16 ga hull Chedite 209 primer. Need to increase height of shot column for better crimp.
Would it be better to use card wad over powder under dr 16 wad or use 28 ga over shot wads in bottom of shot cup before adding shot?
Chart list 7/8 oz load at 1150fps and 6200psi

I've been using 28ga/50 cal, .135" thick nitro card wads I bought from Circle Fly wads( an excellent source in PA) in the bottom of my R16 wad shot cups for quite while w/ perfect success. Each card wad is just about 1/8 inch thick and displaces 1/8 ounce of shot in most 16 ga shot cups. The card wads cannot interfer with patterns or load pressures if placed under the shot rather than under the wad or on top of the shot.

Placing the nitro card under the shot lets the crimp folds naturally nestle into the top of the shot column like they should. Crimps will form up naturally, and the top of the shot column will evenly and consistently bear on the crimp folds when the load is fired. So the crimps open consistently as well. Works to perfection.
Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

I do the same as 16gauguy except I use 32 ga nitro cars wads. Been using them for years .

Regards, Gordon

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

I do the same as 16gauguy except I use Cheerios. Been using them for years . Smile

Enjoy, Mike
Buck MN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Cheerios work well for me also.
bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:59 am  Reply with quote

I use Honey Nut Cheerios . They're tastier to snack n while I'm loading . I remain ever hopeful that someday I'll be able to detect an infusion of honey-nut goodness in a bird or squirrel I've taken

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

I understand that General Mills has added another Cheerios flavor to their line up: Hoppe's #9 for those who insist on stuffing their shotshells w/ breakfast food. Enjoy!! Laughing
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Agree it's hard to beat good sharp hole punch and styro grocery trays; resulting disks in bottom of wad under shot drop.