16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New Kent Bismuth 16ga Ammo
colsen1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

I was checking the Kent site looking for information on their old tungsten-matrix 16 gauge loads and noticed that they have new bismuth shells coming to market. Loadings include 2 16ga loads, in #5 and #6 shot.

1oz #5 or #6 at 1200FPS is the load

http://kentgamebore.com/products/bismuth-premium-shotshells.html#product-1716

Looks like 2016 could be a good year for the 16 gauge!
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

I noticed the same thing and that's some good news for us 16 gauge hunters.
smashdn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:02 am  Reply with quote

If they can fit 1 oz in a 2 3/4 20ga why can't we get 1 1/16 oz or at least a little peppier load in 16?

Would like to see #4 and #2's as well. #2 should be a decent decoying goose load.
Little Creek
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:27 am  Reply with quote

There's more pellets in an ounce of Bismuth than in the same weight lead. Bismuth patterns I have shot are nice, but I've only done #6.

I have killed three sandhill cranes with 1 ounce of #6 bismuth in a 16 gauge!

Never tried geese.
Little Creek
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:28 am  Reply with quote

What's the price on Kent Gamebore bismuth?
smashdn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Little Creek wrote:
There's more pellets in an ounce of Bismuth than in the same weight lead.

That still doesn't explain how they can cram an oz in a 20 ga hull and move it at the same pace as the 16.

When you do that what is the point? The only "advantage" you now have is a heavier gun to shoot it from.
RLR390
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

smashdn- When they put out the Kent Impact in 16ga, they had 1 1/4 oz loads. Since they are still making Impact in other gauges, I wonder if the Bismuth loads are intended for upland hunting. The 1 1/4oz in 5 shot hauled the mail on geese. Wish I still had a bunch of it.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

If the manufacturers aren't putting out the loads you want, why not load your own? Bismuth, ITX and Hevi-shot bulk shot are all readily available.

In spite of having a considerable stock of 16ga Bismuth and Kent TM on hand, I'm glad to see Kent bringing out a sensible 16ga Bismuth loading. It only expands the tiny 16ga non-lead market. When the Kent load hits the market and Rio Bismuth comes back in stock, I'll be adding some of both to my stockpile.

Thanks for posting about this colsen.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
zoli 16ga.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

1 oz. of #5's is plenty for geese. I'd worry more about pattern, choke choice, and POA....before I'd worry about a few more pellets. Plus, 1 1/4 oz. would only cost you more when you miss Wink

desertquail
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

If they can still load 12 & 20 GA Tungsten Matrix, why not in the step child 16GA? The Tungsten Matrix loads are lethal and proven. A lower velocity 1 OZ Bismuth load is not nearly as desirable.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

smashdn wrote:
If they can fit 1 oz in a 2 3/4 20ga why can't we get 1 1/16 oz or at least a little peppier load in 16?

Would like to see #4 and #2's as well. #2 should be a decent decoying goose load.
Inside of thirty yards, a load of sixes to the head of a goose is deadly. If you have two pipes instead of one, two careful shots equals two dead geese. Before the lead ban, we shot them with anything we could find; old slick shells with the writing worn off. Some were killed cleanly with 8's because we didn't know better. Pattern density is the key to small shot. Goose feathers turn them too do they eat better. Reno

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:01 am  Reply with quote

I have 2 small stashes of Bizz . One made by a member here(real good ) and one of the original Cabelas . The GOOD stuff probably will hold up to higher speed . The old stuff is lighter and looks like the moon - easy to fracture !!?? I also have some factory 11/4 16's - they seem like they are loaded to 14k PSI and come out of the Davis HARD !! Am gonna try some of BPI's ITX13 loads at target speed and see how I like them . Would be ok if Master Tinkerer could make more Bizz at a lower price .

gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

I'd like to see a little more potent loading too, but with relatively limited demand for 16 it's great to see them take a chance on meeting the profit margins they need with this loading.

Using a load identical to their Bismuth 20 ga. probably saves some production setup cost, and keeping costs down for our shorter 16 ga. production runs may be the difference between offering these and offering nothing in 16.

Jay
RWG
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

As noted earlier, bismuth is slightly lighter than lead. Thus more pellets of equal diameter fit in the same space for a weighted load. I have never felt under gunned with an ounce of lead or bismuth #5s or 6s @ 1200 fps whether in a 20, 16 or 12 for decoying ducks or pointed pheasants. To me, that is the perfect upland loading. YMMV.
smashdn
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

1 oz of #5 moving at 1200 seems a paltry load for geese.

I would love to think I am good enough to hit all that I aim for in the head and neck and my calling and decoy setting skills of such polish that all will come inside 30 yards but that is simply not the case.

If I were to go pick a lead shell to use for ducks it would be 1 1/4 oz of #4's. It can be loaded in a 12ga or 16ga easily. Acknowledging that bismuth is less dense I would settle for 1 1/8 oz in 4's for my duck load.