16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New Kent Bismuth 16ga Ammo
bc993
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

smashdn wrote:
1 oz of #5 moving at 1200 seems a paltry load for geese.

I would love to think I am good enough to hit all that I aim for in the head and neck and my calling and decoy setting skills of such polish that all will come inside 30 yards but that is simply not the case.

If I were to go pick a lead shell to use for ducks it would be 1 1/4 oz of #4's. It can be loaded in a 12ga or 16ga easily. Acknowledging that bismuth is less dense I would settle for 1 1/8 oz in 4's for my duck load.

I couldn't agree more. A 1 1/16 or 1 1/8 in Bismuth would be perfect for decoying ducks or Dakota pheasants. What I don't understand is if you go to RIO's website and look at their bismuth details it states the 20 max dram 1 oz is 1250 fps then how could a 16 max dram have only 1200 fps? Why would they dumb it down... so I'm hoping it is just a typo on the site.

Same thing with the Kent site why does the 16 get the same fps of 1200 for an oz load as the 20 offering? I want my 16 to carry like a 20 and hit like a 12!

I asked RIO about this on their facebook site but haven't heard anything.
here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/146620025359296/photos/a.180160835338548.36492.146620025359296/1029341110420512/?type=3&theater

If you think they should create a "Real 16 Hi Power Bismuth Load" please join me in liking my post or posting your own comment so we are heard. You have to click
View more replies regarding the Bismuth Post to see my additional questions.

What I want is a 16 gauge Bismuth as close to what Federal gives me in the Premium Pheasants Forever load which imho is the best 16 factory load offered:
1 1/8 oz - 3 7/8 Dram - #5 - 1425 fps.
tom kilgore
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

I just got a response from Kent regarding my inquiry about the PSI for their new load. They say it is 10,300 PSI. I think that is near my upper limit for my 16 Elsie but may give it a go pending how others may respond. My marlin era Elsie is in great shape however, I will have it glass bedded this off season. Thanks to all that contribute to my favorite hunting site, Tom Kilgore
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:17 am  Reply with quote

I bought a couple boxes of Bismuth Cartridge Co. (I think that's the name) 1 1/8 oz. 4's (2 3/4 DE) when Gander Mountain was closing them out some years ago. Those loads have performed very well on pheasants and ducks. They were marked down to $25 per box of 25. Seems like a bargain now and I wish I would have bought more.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I bought a couple boxes of Bismuth Cartridge Co. (I think that's the name) 1 1/8 oz. 4's (2 3/4 DE) when Gander Mountain was closing them out some years ago. Those loads have performed very well on pheasants and ducks. They were marked down to $25 per box of 25. Seems like a bargain now and I wish I would have bought more.

Dave are these buffered loads ? I am thinking about loading some 1 1/8oz #4s for next season . I know you said you had good success with on ducks and pheasant . Just try to determine if I should try buffered loads or not .

Thanks. Mark
bc993
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:36 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

Dave are these buffered loads ? I am thinking about loading some 1 1/8oz #4s for next season . I know you said you had good success with on ducks and pheasant . Just try to determine if I should try buffered loads or not .

Thanks. Mark

Mark:
I used the 12 gauge version of these shotshells years ago and they were definitely buffered. Kept finding the little white buffer material in my pockets. The next year I bought them Winchester was making them for Bismuth Cartridge Company which I think were a little better than the originals. But I really liked them both. Just used the last few this past season. These were 2 3/4 inch and performed much better than 3" steel.
Hope RIO comes through with a 1 1/8 version in 16 gauge.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

I was at a gun store last week and saw six boxes of the old Kent TM (10 rds/box) in #6 if I remember correctly. Those are great loads, but they were marked at $37.50 per box +/-, so I passed, figuring I'd wait to see if Cabela's starts carrying these new Kent loads. Let's hope. Very Happy

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."