16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  My versatile German (pic heavy)
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Very, very nice.

I bought a nice 16x16 over 8x57R drilling this past summer. Here's a couple things I've figured out along the way -

1. With the rifle, you have to figure out what the gun was regulated with - the iron sights are not adjustable (without a file, which is permanent). If you're shooting a load different from the regulation load you wind up having to use Kentucky windage, which has all its own issues.

2. You don't have to use round-nosed bullets in the 30-30, unlike in the generic lever actions with tube magazines. This means you can get better ballistics and range. But then you come back to Kentucky windage....

3. You're going to spend a lot of time (and money) trying to figure out which slug loads your gun likes. My drilling was all over the place and I'm still trying to make some sense out of it.

4. Something similar happens when shooting birdshot. My drilling has 24 inch barrels, pretty standard. Mine are both asserted to be "modified" chokes. As we found out while pheasant hunting, short barreled shotguns (under 26 inches) tend to have patterns which are ... inconsistent. The first pheasant I took with it, a big holdover rooster, I hit with both barrels (one a Western Super Speed paper #5, the other a Herter's #6). Shot broke both wing bones and both legs, one or two in the head and not a single pellet in the body. I know. I skinned that bird out and ate it without a worry about biting into shot. The second, I put two Remington Express #6 into the bird at about 25 yards with my colleague (a shotgun gunsmith) watching. I was right on the bird, hit it solidly he said, and it hit the ground running. Dog got it.

As my colleague explained to me, the shorter barrels are inconsistent for reasons no one can predict and the only way to really know what your gun is going to do is to pattern it with a lot of loads and find out what it likes.

So, you've got the awful chore of taking your new gun out and shooting it a lot with a lot of different ammo. Scientifically. It's a tough job, but I'll bet you're up to it. Laughing

ninepointer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

I may have gotten lucky Dave, as the non-adjustable sights have proven to do well with the .30-30 170 gr. Winchesters that were given to me with the gun.

Slugs are another matter though. Foster-style slugs and Rottweils were not only at an automatic disadvantage due to the dedicated nature of the barrel regulation, but grouped erratically.

I've concluded that my best use of this gun (because I do intend it be used) will be with buckshot, rather than a slug, in the top pipe. As we still hunt deer with hounds here, this gun should will be useful in some of our thicker runs.
dilly
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
tradexcanada often has combination O/Us with .222 rem or .25-35 WCF for rifle calibre.

My combi is a BRNO 304 with 7 x 57R over 12 ga. They were also made in 16ga. and .25-35 in all combinations. I also have a Valmet 12 ga over .222, but other than scoping and sighting (VERY accurate!) I haven't taken it to the woods

I just went through tradeex for a 16ga over 222 Rem Mag Heym with a claw mount scope. Looked like it needed some TLC. Turned out to have a bad scope and a tendancy to go off when you took it off safe. They took it back with no issues, but now I am a bit "gun shy" of their offerings.

Are your combos from Tradeex Carlos?

Carlos
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Dilly; The BRNO has been mine for over 30 years. I had double 12 barrels fitted by MILARM, when they were still in the little hole-in-the-wall shop.

I have purchased about a dozen guns from Tradeexcanada. The Valmet was about 8 years ago, and was in good shape, except for a slightly loose forend (disclosed), which can be fixed by an expert with a ball peen hammer but I have not seen the need. I also have a Husqvarna M17 in 16 x 12.4 x 44R, and an M37 (top lever) in 16 x .360 (9.3 x 57R). The only return was a Remington mod.3 roller in .32rf that my 'smith said he couldn't convert to cf.

My prize from Trade Ex was a Merkel Mod 8, which when it was delivered showed a best quality mark. My first 25 shots at trap scored 23/25 and won 3d in a "Victorian/Edwardian" shoot.
dilly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Carlos.

On the topic of versatile German guns, I am looking at a Blaser B95 16ga over 5.6x50mag. Anyone have any thoughts, knowledge, or opinions?

Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:13 am  Reply with quote

Sounds neat, Dilly. However, I don't think it adds much to usefulness at the cost of trying to stock another odd cartridge case. For me, I'd try for a round usefull for medium game.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/5-6x50mag.htm
dilly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Fair point Carlos. What I am up against is a silly law in Ontario. In the urban South we are restricted to rifle calibres under .275. It makes no sense any more, but it stands. Ideally, a 6.5 would be my choice, but they seem rare in Canada. I would like to use it as a coyote gun mainly, with the ability to use it for birds over my wirehairs. I also agree the 5.6x50 mag is an odd cartridge, although likely effective for coyotes.

Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

Dilly; The Blaser dealer for Canada is 25 minutes away from me!

http://www.blaser.de/index.php?id=757&L=1&komapkey=CA

The website says all calibres and combinations are available, and claims that their products are for life!