16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 ga CZ Sharptail?
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

I was bored and perusing the Jerry's Sport Center website where I have a dealer's account and looking at their SXS's, there was a listing for a 16 ga CZ Sharptail with 28" barrels and fixed IC/Mod chokes. All their sites listed zero quantities, so possibly it is in anticipation of CZ importing the gun. I went to the CZ website and there is no listing for any 16 ga Sharptail. I wondered why CZ in replacing the Ringneck with the Sharptail chose not to produce a 16 ga model, but now maybe they are fixing that. I'm not a big fan of the pistol grip stock on the Sharptail. much preferring the POW of the Ringnck, but It would be nice to see an entry level 16 ga SXS back in production.

Ptm
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

A nice man from CZ gave the particulars on another website, sounds like a 12 gauge frame so we were all bummed out.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Ptm wrote:
A nice man from CZ gave the particulars on another website, sounds like a 12 gauge frame so we were all bummed out.

The Ringneck 16 ga was on a scaled frame although you wouldn't know it by placing one on a scale. They went about 7 1/2 pounds or a little more depending on the stock wood. I really prefer my 16 ga SXS's to be around 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 pounds for bird hunting, so my 16 ga Ringneck doesn't get a lot of work nowadays. The Sharptail uses coil springs in the action similar to my two Zabala made 16 ga's and both go slightly under 6 3/4 pounds. I was hoping the 16 ga Sharptail would be on a scaled frame and weigh about the same as the Zabalas. Oh well, I'd sure like to see one anyway.

mtbirder
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

I have the Bobwhite 16. Double triggers, straight stock, splinter forearm, just over 6.5 lbs, 26' barrels. Too bad CZ quit this one.
I hunt quite a bit with it, it has treated me fine. I have a friend who is pleased with his also.
In my not so humble opinion, a nice little poor man's double....
T-Bone
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:28 am  Reply with quote

The CZ Ringneck has a true 16 Ga. frame, however the barrels are 12 Ga. barrel stock and contribute to the weight. I own a DeHaan S2 in 16 Ga...Similar gun.

I was hoping the Sharptail would be 16 Ga. in frame and barrels, but I think the Turks just did a repeat.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:31 am  Reply with quote

My 16 ga CZ Bobwhite I keep around just to remind myself why I don't like double triggers weighs in at a hefty 7 pounds 4 ounces on my electronic scale that has been weight checked by comparing it to an official NRA competition scale. I have a plastic canteen full of lead shot that weighed exactly 9 pounds on the scale used at the NRA silhouette nationals to verify my scale's accuracy. Reports of 16 ga Bobwhites weighing in the 6 1/2 pound range always make me question the accuracy of the scales used, or more likely the person is using the weights listed on the CZ web page all of which are notorious for being low balled. The CZ's are nicely balanced and handle well though despite being a bit on the hefty side for lugging all day chasing birds.

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:21 am  Reply with quote

I could not shoot my 16 ga, 26" barrels CZ Bobwhite to save my life. I thought the thing pointed like a rock . It weighed in at 7# 6 oz on my electronic scale but felt more like 8#. I quickly sold it and fortunately got my money back plus some. Overall I thought for the money the quality of the work was good and I never had any mechanical issues but just could not shoot it and it was way to heavy.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like the heavy models would make good target guns.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
mtbirder
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

I was going off the CZ website for the weight of my Bobwhite.
If it is 7lbs+, I guess I never really noticed. I'm 55 years old, tendonitis in my left elbow (I'm a southpaw - or more correctly, correct handed:D) and I have no problem hunting the Bobwhite. Either I'm really a youngster or one tough SOB.
The only gun I have that I consider heavy to hunt with is a Lanber 12 gauge O/U - the gun that caused me to pick up a Citori Feather 16.
But, being purely a hunter - not so much a gun enthusiast (don't get me wrong, I have a fair amount of firearms) I don't notice so much a gun's attributes as much as I do the results I get with it.
All that being said, I do prefer the lighter guns more than I cared to notice some years ago. Although I do seem to have the knack of carrying fairly heavy 24" barreled rifles when chasing the larger ground dwelling critters.
Fresh snow and cold in MT this AM - dogs and birds provided some fun this morning Very Happy ...............
rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

The CZ-USA website still does not show a Sharptail in 16 gauge.

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
vandie9684
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

I own one of these and love it. The weight is not an issue to me and patterns great, I have only used it on dove but had great success with it
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:57 am  Reply with quote

I have a Ringneck 16 and I agree that it is on the heavy side to carry all day hunting ringnecks! I have other guns that I carry for that like my LC Smith or my model 12 or Rem. M11.
Where the Ringneck shines though is on the sporting clay course where the weight helps with a smooth swing and reduced recoil when shooting 200 targets in a day. It also works fine in the duck blind and handles steel shot better than the other guns.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235