16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Pheasant Hunting
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:45 am  Reply with quote

Fellow 16 Gauge Brethern,
My old hunting buddy and I would like to plan a pheasant hunt this fall for 3 or 4 days in Kansas, Nebraska, or Iowa (considering these states only because they seem to be the closest from Florida). If any of you guys live or hunt in any good pheasant places I would appreciate any "inside track" information you could give me. We have two dogs and we are trying to go as cheaply as possible. Thanks in advance for your info.
p.s. if anyone wants to come to Florida to fish in the salt, I would be glad to help you out.
XVI

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

North Central Kansas has had improving populations of birds the last couple of years and with the mild winter we have just come out of there should be plenty of carryover for breeding this spring. That could all change with a wet cold spring or big thunder storms with lots of hail but so far so good.

The best areas with the most public access is along the northern tier of counties of Jewell, Republic, Smith and Washington. Waconda wildlife refuge west of Beloit is always a good producer and there is an expanding walk in public land program, sponsered by the state, that provides access to private lands.

I would recommend waiting until after Thanksgiving as the first several weeks of the season these areas get a lot of pressure.

In addition to Pheasant you may find good numbers of Bob White quail in this area. There are Greater Prarie Chickens in this part of the state. They are not as abundant as they are in the Flint Hills region but since you are comming from the south you would pass through some good Chicken areas around Strong City and Cassody as you head north.

Good luck.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

I hunted in Norton, Kansas which is Northwest. It was on a Controlled Shooting Area. A put and take outfitter with numerous wild birds in addition to the stocked birds.
If you are interested in something like this, let me know and I'll dig out the info. Trust me when I say there were a bunch of wild birds to be had if tht is a worry you have.
Nice thing is, on the CSA area there is no limit to the shooting and you can start in September. As I remember they had about 5-6000 acres to hunt or that was the total farm and we hunted a couple thousand acres. We also hit a bunch of quail coveys but were a week to early for the season.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:31 am  Reply with quote

Iowa has good bird numbers, but the best hunting is on private land. The state has relatively little public land, and unlike KS/NE/Dakotas, it does not have a "walk in" program under which the state leases private land for public access. It can still be pretty easy to get access to private land, if you can find out who owns what, and then catch the landowner at home. But without local contacts or expending the time and effort to do a good bit of door knocking, Iowa probably is not the best bet.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all of the great info. Even though it is 7 or 8 months away,
I will keep you guys posted as to how things develop.
XVI

525field
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

I lived in south florida for over 35 yr movied to Kansa for the bird hunting
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

XVI gauge: there are several threads on page 2 of the forum by 'bustingclays' about hunting in KS and an entry for 'Last Chance Wings & Labs' for an outfitter. We're also talking about hunting in KS on the 'Ruger Red Label' thread. KDWP will have the Walk-In Hunting Area guide and maps out late summer. Call 620-672-5911 or check www.kdwp.state.ks.us Be prepared to drive to western KS though. The Cimarron National Grasslands can have great quail IF they get some spring rain: 620-697-4621. Sherman Co. Visitors Bureau (Goodland) has some infro also 785-899-3515. Pratt, KS 620-672-5501 or www.prattkan.com
Hays: www.haysusa.net Dodge City: www.dodgecity.org Great Bend: cvb@greatbend.com
Unless you've got access to family property-it's either pay a guide or hunt Walk-In (but some of the Walk In has been quite good if you search)
Good hunting!
talefeathers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

After hunting there the last 3 years, I wouldn't recommend Nebraska. Definitely a private land state, despite the "walk-in" land they talk about.

Mark
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:01 am  Reply with quote

Most of this thread is from 4-05. XVI g.-are you still out there? Did you ever make it to KS?
Brad6260
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:28 am  Reply with quote

XVI Gauge,
There are a few of us who put off a 16'ers get together hunt in Kansas because it came about too late last season but there may be renewed interest in doing something in Central Kansas the opening week of Pheasant season 06.
I know Revdoc had an interest and several others.

If you want more info PM me.

Regards,
Brad
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Guys!
Wow! It is good to be back. My computer was down for a while and I just kept putting off getting a new one. I still tried to keep up on what was going on on the board by using library computers, but I was never able to spend enough time on them to post. Anyway, I'm back.
No, I never did make it to Kansas or anyother mid western state. My hunting buddy decided he did not want to go that far, so we went up to a preserve in North Georgia. It was ok, but not the same as wild birds.
Maybe next year.
Had a great Florida season w/ lots of preserve quail and wild doves and snipe. Snipe hunting is great fun. I will talk about it soon.
XVI

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

It was a pretty good season almost everywhere in the Midwest. If we get a good nesting season, next year could be even better. Parts of South Dakota did lose some birds in a pretty bad blizzard, but they had such a good population that they'll probably be OK too if they have good spring weather.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Larry: What parts of South Dakota got hit the worst; when did the blizzard take place? Thanks---

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

Just talked to a buddy back in KC and it looks like the pheasant opener in Kansas will be moved up a week to the FIRST Sat in Nov. (11-4) along with Mo and Neb. Quail in western Ks is not likely to be open until mid-Nov. but should be open central/eastern Ks. It's been my experience that hunting is really tough until a. the corn & milo is harvested to concentrate the birds and b. a big snow/cold event to knock down the weeds and prairie grass. Early Nov. in Ks can be anything from 30 degrees and sleet to 75 and S. wind at 40 mph (05' opening weekend) Should be lots of birds left-over so pray for good spring weather (no cold/rainy stretch when the chicks hatch) and it could be a great 06'.
525field
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

Last year it was way to warm to chase birds we could not get out of our trucks and the birds were in the air.
We didnt really start to get our limit untill the cold front in Dec.
down in garden city is were we had our best hunts the birds were all over the place.
If they move it up a week it will be just a waste of time but you just have to be out there,sit around the motel that night and lie to each other