16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Project?
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

I'm looking at an older Ithaca Flues as a starter gun for my boy. Since even these short-chambered (and supposedly fragile?) double guns seem to command fairly high prices, I'm considering a project gun (i.e. a fairly rough example). Any words of wisdom from this sage and august group? I know the earlier 20s and some 16s are prone to cracking, and many are fairly short and have way too-much drop. I also know that many have been made unsafe by having their short cambers extended unwisely. Are these units hard to tear down or re-assemble? How hard are parts to come by? How hard to restock?

JonP
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

Sage?? and august??? you sure you're on the right website? Smile
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd,
Get the boy a Nitro Special. Find one from the 1930s, that already had 2 3/4" chambers, a 20 or a 16. Most have been used pretty hard, but, nice guns still turn up. Reliable as hammers. Many of the design elements of the Nitro eventually went into the NID, another very good design. You wouldn't go wrong getting the boy one of those, either.
Don't know if you remember the post Dewey Vicknair had on American guns over on doublegun, but, these two designs, while not the most asthetically pleasing, were about bulletproof in his opinion, and that is saying something-he no longer even bothers with most American guns as a gunsmith, as so many of them are really just crap. He is by far not the only gunsmith in that camp, either.
If I were a betting man, I'd think Liam is going to be a big boy in the future. The gun that fits him in his teens might not do so when he is in his 20s. Keep that in mind. A youth pump might be a better place to start, and save the double for when he is a confirmed nutcase, like, us.

Hey, JonP, I'm as sage and August as the next guy, or, at least I look like it.

Best,
Ted Smile

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Aw heck Ted....I'm just killing time waiting for my shop to reopen. Pumps are fine but I'm trying to get him on the right path early. I also like the safety component of a double, simple, easy to confirm loaded or unloaded, no distractions (like pumping), and he does need to get used to two triggers...as God intended. He is growing fast and will likely outgrow anything I set up for him now. Oh well, can one really have to many nice, light doubles laying around?

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

Does your boy get any say in the matter? My Dad ALWAYS wanted something for me that I didn't.

Why not let him determine what is the "right path" for him?

You do want him to continue enjoying shooting/ hunting don't you?

Have you asked him what he wants to shoot with?

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Howdy Dale. How's Cheyenne tonight?

He's an only child...he gets more say than I get. I give him lots of options and I don't force anything on him (well.....I do make him take care of the dog regularly). He's got that darn left eye-dominance thing going and the pumps are too-much of a distraction. I need to get him settled-in and hitting regularly. Fit and weight are critical at the moment.

Ted: I handled a 20 Nitro Special at the Cabala's in Lonetree the other day (first one in 20 I've ever seen) and it weighed almost 7 lbs. I'm trying to stay around 6 lbs. to start. And.....if he does happen to "outgrow" it, I could always drag it along as a backup to my little 16. Just have to add a cinch-on recoil pad to make it long enough.

Beagleman
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3, have you thought about a Sterlingworth? If I remember correctly, mine is right at 5.8 pounds.
Is sage and august close to old and set in my ways? If so, I'm in! Ken

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:17 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd,
The Nitros are not all the same. My 16 might be 6 1/2 lbs. You will likely have to do some shopping for a decent example. You do have time.
Other than the Nitro or a NID, I'd avoid the American doubles for a boy, too many have been rode hard and put away wet, and weren't that good to begin with.
Any chance of lightning striking twice, and getting him into an English built boxlock, similar to your own? Maybe one with an ugly stock extension that could be removed and replaced when he gets older?
If not one of those, how about one of the Japanese boxlocks in 20 gauge, very well built, not collectable, no excuse not to modifiy the chokes and the stock to fit the boy until he gets to where he quits growing, and can find something else.
Speaking from one who has "been there, done that" on the eye dominance issues, think long and hard about an O/U. Yes, get the kid started on double triggers, but, don't be surprised if focus at the shot is all consuming for him, and a single trigger and a single sighting plain allows him to do just that. The eye dominance issue is a handicap for shooting, make no mistake about it.
I'd rather my kid be a superb shot, with a gun outside my normal interests, than a half assed shot with a gun I totally approve of.
It is for him, after all.

Best,
Ted

canvasback
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:34 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
Howdy Dale. How's Cheyenne tonight?

He's an only child...he gets more say than I get. I give him lots of options and I don't force anything on him (well.....I do make him take care of the dog regularly). He's got that darn left eye-dominance thing going and the pumps are too-much of a distraction. I need to get him settled-in and hitting regularly. Fit and weight are critical at the moment.

LLoyd, could have been me writing this. My boy is a small 11 year old. I have a 6 pound 6 ounce Army and Navy Boxlock with 28" barrels and open chokes. 13" LOP It's still too big for him but not for long. And with nice light, very low pressure loads, will be just the ticket. If I could change anything about it for him, I wish the barrels were 26" not 28".....but I'm happy with the weight. Still want it soaking up as much recoil as possible while being maneuverable for him.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Beagleman: The early Sterlingworths, especially the ones with the No. 4 weight barrels are very nice. They are not, however, giving those away either. I even looked at the little CZ Bobwhites. For roughly $650, one can obtain suitable weight and dimensions. I just hate buying sight-unseen and I've yet to get to handle one. So far, the Turkish guns I have handled left me a little cold.

Ted: Didn't know that about the Nitro Specials, I'll keep looking. I do know that over/unders can foot the bill here as well (maybe not so easily in the weight department), but I've always found that side by sides simply worked better for me as game guns. Like you mentioned, I've (we've) got some time yet. I'll start him on a side by side first and see how that goes.

Canvasvack: He's growing very fast now (can't keep him in pants or boots!), so my efforts may be obviated fairly soon. Upper body strength isn't there just yet, but it won't be long now. No matter how strong he gets, however, a 6lb gun in the uplands is always a treat.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

I thought it over Llyod, i am as August and sage as you can get. I was born in August, and I live in Wyoming, which has millions of acres of sagebrush.

I hope your young man enjoys the shotgun YOU select for him.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

OK, here is what I did 30 years ago for my son.
Standard Weight 20 gauge 1100 with the extra stock shortened to the nut on the receiver, and a 1/4 inch plywood butt plate. As he got taller, I increased the thickness of the butt plate. Finally he was old and stout enough and I switched the stock to a 12 gauge 1100. Finally he was tall enough for the factory stock.
Had two barrels, one skeet and one modified, switched out as needed for the game hunted. Today might use a set of synthetic stocks to save wear and tear on the wood.

First year, ONLY one shell in the gun but a pocketful of ammo allowed
Second year, ONLY two shells in the gun but a pocket ...
Third year, three shells in the gun, ....

Seemed to work well

August and Sage Mike

p.s. why not a double or an O/U?, was in the military and not wealthy enough for those things

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

Do give the Ithaca SKB 100 a long hard look. They are lighter yet more modern and solid than the older doubles, and shoot great. They lock up like a bank vault. A decent one might be $1200 but it will be extremely reliable and trouble free.

Brewster
kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:04 am  Reply with quote

I agree, simpler is better, I started out my 13 yr old grandson with my nice win model 12, he is still kind of clumsy and it made us both nervous every time he shot it. Then I found a cheap 16 ga h&r single barrel, it was smaller and lighter and fit him perfect, and no worries if he drops it.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:37 am  Reply with quote

Light gun and a small frame kid equals recoil and not much fun for a young kid. I started my daughter years ago with a Rem. 1100 28ga. Virtually no recoil, she enjoyed it, and at 26 is still shooting it.