16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  flared crimps?
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

SG16 1 oz
DR16 7/8 oz
I use the DR16 in the rem hull for 3/4 oz loads. I have not been able to get 3/4 to work in the Herters hull dished crimps.
So save your SG16's for 1 oz loads get some DR16's for 7/8 oz. I load 18gr Green dot with the DR16 and 7/8 oz. I really like the performance of the load and the crimps are good.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

The DR-16 works well with Cheddite/Hereter/Winchester hulls and 3/4 oz. loads.

I just loaded 250 the other night on my 9000G.

The crimps are flat. The secrets to getting flat crimps with the DR-16 and 3/4 oz. loads are..........only use enough wad pressure to seat the wad firmly on the powder do not crush the wad legs at all.......the crimp depth should be no more than .060".......055" is best.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

Mine always come out dished in i seat the wad to just touching. I tried screwing with the crimp stage but not worth the time and trouble for me. I just load the 7/8 oz and call it good. Plus I have a color code thing going all black rems are 3/4 oz 8 1/2 all purples are 7/8 oz of 8 and red CF hulls are 1 oz 7 1/2 makes everything easy.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Loads are with 18.0 grains of American Select, 3/4 oz. lead shot and a DR-16 wad.

These are very slightly dished, reloaded on a 9000G.......and I didn't mess around. Maybe it took 30 to 35 minutes in actual reloading time.

I used the exact same crimp settings (both dies) with the exception of 1/4 turn more crimp depth, to reload 7/8 oz. loads using CB1078-16 wads in RGL's.

The settings are very close to the same for all this stuff. The problem is RGL's are very forgiving because the plastic is tough, so you can be off a little and the crimps still look good. If you setup the reloader for Cheddites and get it right, everything else loads perfectly, with very little adjustment between loads.

My 2 cents from the cheap seats.

JNW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

I also load 3/4 oz in Cheddite hulls. 17 grains of American Select and a DR16. As DC37 said, no wad pressure and I lowered the crimp just a touch. They work fabulous. Also loaded some Federal 3/4 oz with the same components and they were slightly dished, but performed well in cold weather. I am really impressed with how well these light loads work.
I've learned that if you are unhappy with your crimps then you should play with the crimp starter first and if that doesn't fix things then play with the crimp station, but just make one adjustment at a time and load at least 5-10 shells per adjustment to see what they look like. Finally, the true test is to shoot them and see how they work.
Jeff
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:11 am  Reply with quote

My settings must be off slightly. I can use the same settings on my 9000g for CF's, Herters and Rem with no adjustments but the 3/4 in the Cheddite is just to dished for my taste. I know it can be done if i'm ever forced to load 3/4 in a Cheddite but I don't see that happening. I would love to see the shot swarm on a 3/4 oz at 20 yards because they just smoke clay targets. I could be all wet but it seems the shot string is shorter and the shot all arrives at close to the same time. Now I know the 8 1/2 shot might be a little denser than the 1 oz of 7 1/2 but the pellet count should be close to the same. I guess it is probably just the core being a little denser with the smaller shot.
Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:20 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer-noticed your comment about 3/4 oz and 20 yds. Wondering what you and others here think max yds is for the load. Are you using tighter chokes with 3/4 than you would for larger ones?Also the 1 oz of 7 1/2's has 28 more pellets than the 3/4oz 8 1/2's so you are right on that.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:37 am  Reply with quote

3/4 oz loads break clay at any range a 1 oz shot charge will. The pattern board is the only way to tell the maximum acceptable pattern at range but it is only a 2 dimensional view. If i,m shooting a 40 yard target I would opt for the 1 oz of 7 1/2
but can tell you the 3/4 oz load will do it too. It's a mental confidence thing for me not scientific.