16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  End of the WCF
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone know exactly what year the compression formed hull was discontinued by winny?

I have some high brass (real brass) 8 crimped loads from 1996 that I've not used yet. Just wondered if it was in no way a maybe. Might be awhile before I use them.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

2000 was the last year.......at least for 16 Gauge CF hulls.

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you DC.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:21 pm  Reply with quote

Winchester cited lack of sells Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:48 pm  Reply with quote

I recall buying a couple cases of 16 ga shell, I thought well before 2000 that came in the Silver Boxes and are not Cheddite mfg, but aren't CF. Seems there was a transitional batch. In the course of searching out what I got, I came across the International Ammunition Association website. search IAA. I'm still looking through the pile of info- anything ammunition. anyone else familiar with this organization?
jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:25 am  Reply with quote

I acquired a lifetime supply of these coveted shells in 20 and 12 gauge and then switched to 16 Gauge. I have to thank the poor quality and selection of 16 gauge hulls and ammo for introducing me to RMC all brass hulls. Very Happy
gunut
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:01 am  Reply with quote

here I thought this was about Pro Wrestling.....

kgb
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:11 am  Reply with quote

The first CF 16s I recall shooting were around 1980 and marked Upland, and in the late 1990s I bought s cases of CF--one SuperX and one Xpert from a gun dealer who I think got them from an estate, plus one case of Xpert from a local gunshop that likewise must have been closing out an estate. I figure that because they discounted them when I asked. Have gotten most of the way through the 7.5's and half way though the SX 6's, the 8's are in reserve, at least I believe they're CF as well.

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:18 am  Reply with quote

I have had a great run of buying 1990's and 80's Winchester ammo at gun shows for $5 a box. Hell, I can't reload them for that!

I've notice that the white boxes are pretty easy, every one of them says they are compression formed right on it. The early grey ones, not so easy. No mention of CF and while they say 'made in USA', have real brass bottoms, and 8 star crimps it's a bit of a guessing game until you shoot one. I've got about a case of those made in 1996 that meet all the above rules, however, they have the slightest of ribbing on the plastic.

Just wondering if there was a date range I could start to rule out as WCF and it sounds like I have that now thanks to DogChaser.

Basically buy anything I can get for $5 a box regardless of hulls.

gunut,

Always enjoy a bit of humor!!!

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:15 am  Reply with quote

I keep on the lookout for Remington and Peters shells, especially the semi-opaque versions. No intention to reload them, but enjoy carrying and shooting when I can.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

KGB - those Shur Shots are my all time fave pheas load . My 1st bought gun was a m12 , 26'' full and it just knocked the snot out of everything with those babies !! Still have about 2/3 boxes of them - hoard them !

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I was just thinking 1-1/8 oz of #7.5 or #8 seemed a bit of load over kill for doves/quail and too small of shot for rabbit/pheasant/squirrel action.

What do you use it for?

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

For several years some Sure Shot #4s were my Iowa pheasant season-opening shells, with likewise my first purchased M12 16ga firing them. By that time, the gun's original Mod bbl had been chopped to 26" making it straight cylinder. I'd have thought 4s through no choke would have been pretty poor but at the ranges we shot at opening day birds they were no handicap. A full 1 1/8oz of fine shot is not optimal either, but I've used those 7.5s on about everything except doves. From quail, grouse and pheasant here to grouse and Hungarian partridge in North Dakota I've carried those alongside 1oz reloads using #7s. When the bigger birds are figured to be the only likely encounter I have reloads with #5s along, and #6s are part of the deal at times as well. Those CF factory rounds have not patterned as tightly as reloads using harder shot whether Remington STS or Lawrence Magnum, and I do not recall ever obliterating a bird with any of these shells. Maybe I'm enough of an unintentional "fringer", the way I shoot. Only once did I intentionally try to shoot a bird, a pheasant, with what I figured would be the edge of a pattern because it came up so close. I missed with that barrel.

4setters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

A couple of comments: KGB mentions above that the CF loads don't seem to pattern as tight as his reloads. That probably is the case--at least my experience with them suggests it is--and it is probably due to the fact that all or virtually all of the CF 16 gauge loads (high brass, low brass, Uplands, Xpert, Dove and Quail, Super Speed, Mark V, etc.) had fiber wads with a shot wrap rather than plastic wads. (In fact, when WAA16 wads came out, I said, "Whats this--I ain't never seen a new Winchester 16 shell with a plastic wad . . . . ). Fiber wadded shells tend to shoot "not as tight" as plastic wads.

Since virtually all my experience with Winchester 16 ga. loads involve CF hulls, I ask the question, "Were WAA16 wads ever used in any 16 ga. factory Winchester loads?" If so, which ones? Personally, I've never seen any, but it may just be due to my experience with older CF hulls and virtually none with newer Win. loads.

American Meet mentions some transitional loads. I have a flat of Winchester Upland loads in white boxes that probably were made in the late 1990s with ribbed poly-formed cases, "magnetic" bases, etc., so they look like the newer Winchester Cheddite-type loads. However they have the typical earlier fiber wads and shot wrap and 8-star (beautiful!) crimps of earlier Dove and Quail CF loads.

Charlie16, in your gun show ramblings, don't over look 16 gauge Winchester Steel loads. Win. was the first to bring out a 16 gauge steel load (in the late 80s), and the first to discontinue them. All I've used and seen are in high-brass CF hulls with 6-star crimps. Still have most of a flat left over from heavy-duty duck hunting days.

My comments, i.e., 2 cents worth.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Mine are mix and match. The Xpert have AA wads, the SuperX have stacked fiber wads and a wrap. At least that's what they advertise on the sides of the boxes.