16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Score! WW CF's
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

I hit the jackpot this week. I won an online auction for just shy of 6 boxes of "reloads". All with Winchester compression formed hulls. These were being sold as reloads with obvious liability waivers.
Well they arrived yesterday. My plan was to very carefully pick them open and remove the components. Close inspection revealed several things. First, the shells matched the proper boxes according to factory markings on the shells. Second, the shells appeared to be factory perfect with no sizing or firing/ breech face/ bolt face marks whatsoever. This prompted further investigation with a bright light.
The cartridges all have the original felt wads, no modern one piece plastic. I lucked out and bought brand new Win Upland, Dove & Quail, and Super X ammo for a great price! They're so beautiful that it almost seems a shame to fire them...almost but not quite. Looking at these takes me back to my college days.

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

AWESOME!!
Well done, and thank you for sharing
Mike

4setters
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats, WChukar

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, CF hulls are still out there if one is willing to look for them. A person probably ain't going to find enough to shoot clays year round, but if you're like me and use them for bird hunting, they are still out there for the finding. Five boxes of Dove and Quail 8-star crimps will keep a bird hunter going for a while, with no powder migration problems (with Rem or Win/clone wads) from hunting vest carry, etc. When birds get up, they go bang. Chukars, look out!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:56 pm  Reply with quote

These often go for$25 plus a box Embarassed
Old16ga
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:08 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I hit the jackpot this week. I won an online auction for just shy of 6 boxes of "reloads". All with Winchester compression formed hulls. These were being sold as reloads with obvious liability waivers.
Well they arrived yesterday. My plan was to very carefully pick them open and remove the components. Close inspection revealed several things. First, the shells matched the proper boxes according to factory markings on the shells. Second, the shells appeared to be factory perfect with no sizing or firing/ breech face/ bolt face marks whatsoever. This prompted further investigation with a bright light.
The cartridges all have the original felt wads, no modern one piece plastic. I lucked out and bought brand new Win Upland, Dove & Quail, and Super X ammo for a great price! They're so beautiful that it almost seems a shame to fire them...almost but not quite. Looking at these takes me back to my college days.

Awesome! Those were the days! I still have a Rubbermaid tub full of once and twice-fired Upland & Super-X hulls that my Dad and I collected over our years of hunting. I need to get loading!

My other shotgun is a 28!

The 28 Gauge Society
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:40 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

I can't claim to have done that well but over the weekend I hit a local gun show and did OK. For 7 bucks I picked up a slightly-short box of old Super-X papers - in the reflective box - for my 20 ga. Red paper shells. #5 shot. Real brass high brass.
And a box of late 70s vintage Winchester Duck and Pheasant loads for my 12 ga, #4 lead shot. For like 8 bucks.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:19 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, I am pretty pleased. I acquired the the whole batch for under $30 plus shipping. Still looking for more though. I hope to get to 1000 CF's someday but that am only half way there. Last summer I missed out on 450 rounds for sale in Missouri. They went extremely cheap. It was my fault for not periodically going online and searching.
I realize that 1000 CF's might make me sound like a hoarder but to put things in perspective, I fired more than that through the 16 this past season. I do hunt very often, usually 5+ days per week during open seasons.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

As long as you mask off the brass with masking tape and spray paint them all purple, they should work fine.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."