16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Shot size - dumb question
nutcracker
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Hi guys - I'm new to the idea of reloading - controlling what I shoot appeals to me. So - here's the dumb question that has likely been answered before:

All other things being equal - hull, primer, powder type and charge, wad and fold - does shot size matter for a given weight of lead.

i.e. if I load up 1 oz of no 8 vs. 1 oz of no 9 - is there a material difference to PSI and muzzle velocity.

I understand there are more pellets with quite different ballistics - but I assume everything is more or less the same in the chamber and barrel ??
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

One ounce is one ounce
Same as which weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of iron.

But a shot bar with a one ounce rating will through more weight of #9 than #5 because of more space between the pellets.

So you need to decide what is the optimal shot size for the quarry.

For what will you be using the ammo?

Mike

df
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

If you are using a volumetric type of measure like most if not all shot shell loaders use, there is a difference. As an example, if you take equal "volumes" of #4 and #8 shot and they are both the same lead mix, the #8 shot will weigh more. That is because the void spaces between shot pellets is smaller with smaller shot. Does this matter? In my experience, no. I have loaded shot shells since 1966, and used a volumetric type of loader all that time. And I loaded all sizes of shot with no problems.
Of course if you "weigh" on a scale, an ounce is an ounce, regardless of shot size.
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Also if you're loading non-tox, you should weigh the shot on a scale, it's way lighter than lead
sneem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

The variance between loads using different shot sizes is probably less than the inherent differences one would get just in the deviation from one drop to the next. You won't be able to tell any noticeable difference using different shot sizes.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Stack height can be quit different between #5s and #9s in the same load especially in a load that is tight to begin with .
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Concur with DF

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:56 am  Reply with quote

all good advice, I'll add; while considering gearing up for shotshell reloading look into adjustable charge bars, they help make it pretty easy to adapt to all the little differences in shot and powder drops.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:15 am  Reply with quote

according to Roster on a nastigram : even if you go by exact same weight , (which is a HUGE mistake according to him ) , the type shot and size creates different tension on the wad walls and can create a big diff in pressure . I've been working on some 28 non-tox , and have been watching listings closely . Either a few companies are similar or , are copying Hodgdons . If you go by Tom's statement , , then taking an identical load of say 9's and 2's , the ballistics can be way out there even though same load and weights . I and a few others do not subscribe to this completely . Ballistics can be a funky thing though .

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:19 pm  Reply with quote

The actual difference in pressure between the same actual payload weights using the exact same components for lead #9 shot and lead #2 shot, is approximately 500 psi higher for the #9. This is for loads of at least 1 1/8 oz. 500 psi is inconsequential.

When you start using the thick wads for steel and other non toxic shot the difference in pressure for shot size doesn't vary much more than that for lead shot.

It is NOT a consideration or a concern for the reloader.

Not sure what Mr. Roster was referring to, but he likes to bring odd one off situations into the conversation. Just saying.......YMMV.