16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading Federal hulls
Robert E. Lee
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

I recently dug the 16ga. out of the back of the safe. I used to load RGL hulls but the one I shot this spring were hard and britle after the initial firing. I tried federals and the plastic was nice after the first firing. Tonight I started to reload a couple of boxes using cb0100-16 wads and 1oz. of shot. The crimp was greatly recessed. The petals of the shotcup were about 1/4 inch below the fold of the crimp. The shot was even with the top of the petals. I seated the wad just touching the powder, no compression. I added dipper of crisp rice to take up room and ften got a good crimp. My questions are should the cereal under or on top of the shot, if under some shot will scrub on the barrels? Is there a better way to take up about 1/4 inch of space? Someone at the trap club suggested leaving the wad sit high off the powder. I didn't like that suggestion for multiple reasons, over-pressure being just one.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:59 am  Reply with quote

Hello Robert E. Lee
Welcome on your first posting

The location of the filler (above or below the shot) is non-critical.
Best to get a better fitted wad

I would also check the wad pressure you are using, With today's powders,
zero wad pressure at seating and then the crimp applied will provide wad pressure.

Good loading

Mike

Robert E. Lee
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I'll need to check with our local supplier but I think their wads for 16ga. are the CB, WAA16, and the DR. I believe the DR is a reproduction of the 1oz. Win. And yes the only compression on this load is from the crimp, unsure if it's the wad legs compressing or the rice crushing. Probably more the latter than the former. I'm going to go shoot a couple rounds of trap, strictly for load testing. Bob
old colonel
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:45 am  Reply with quote

The DR16 is not a winchester clone, but is an entirely different wad with particular data designed for 7/8 and 3/4 oz loads

Robert E. Lee
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. The local distributor listed the DR16 as a clone of the WAA16 on their website. I will check to see if the bottom of the shot cup will be higher above the powder charge. Bob Lee.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

as old old colonel said the DR16 wad is a totally different wad than the WAA16 . The CB-0100 is clone of the WAA16
oregunner
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

Claybuster also makes a 7/8 oz wad. I use it with one ounce of shot in Federals and Chedditte hulls. It gives a good crimp.

Robert E. Lee
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

I quess I need to proofread my posts. I meant to say I would check the dr16 wad height to see if that would fix my problem. The supplier that I shotshell reloading supplies doesn't list the 7/8 oz. wad. I'll look for a mail order source. Thank you. Bob
Robert E. Lee
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

I'll try again. The supplier I purchase shotshell reloading supplies from doesn't list the claybuster 7/8 oz. wad. Bob
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,46.html

Scroll down. Good outfit!
JNW
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Robert,
For a 1 ounce load in a Federal hull the Cheddite wad works well. This is the SG16 from Ballistic Products and the TUWG2116 at Precision Reloading. The DR16 is perfect for a 7/8 oz load in a Federal hull. You can put 1 oz into a Federal hull with a DR16, but you will be collapsing its legs quite a bit. The Claybuster wads were originally designed for tapered hulls like the RGL and the long-out-of-production AACF. CB has widened the base a bit for better function in a straight wall hull, but some still find powder migration to be a problem in straight wall hulls like Feds or Cheds. If you do use a CB wad in a straight wall hull, the wad will work best with a volume of shot one "size" up from its designation, i.e. the 1oz wad works best with an 1 1/8 oz of shot. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jeff
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Plus 1 on what JNW has offered this is the best choice for one ounce of shot in a Federal hull.

While you can get 1 oz. of shot to fit with the DR-16, it will not be the best choice and it will be a challenge at best.

Robert E. Lee
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:39 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I have dealt with both Precision Reloading and Ballistic Products in the past. I always try to buy local, if they have what I want. Perhaps I'll pick some dr16's and try 7/8 oz. loads, also. Bob