16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca 37--one more example of Browning's genious
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:37 am  Reply with quote

I recently was involved in a discussion involving how the Model 37 Ithaca shell stop system works. The gun both feeds and ejects from only one port on the bottom. There was a claim that carrying the gun with a shell on the lifters will cause jams. both of mine haven't been jamming, and I began to wonder why. So, I got mine out and studied the parts and how they function to feed a shell as well as stop the next and prevent a jam.

Its ingenious how the problem of using one port to both feed and eject is solved. Browning designed the gun with not one, but two shell stops, one on each side of the reciever. They are of slightly different lengths and the one on the left (with port down) has a vertical dog which is engaged by the bolt as it comes forward to feed the shell.

When the bolt is racked back, it pushes the right stop to the right and frees the shell in the magazine tube just after the lifter/ejector arms come down to accept it. At the shell pushes into the receiver, the left stop is freed to move slightly right, ride along the surface of the shell, and trap the rim of the next shell in line. This prevents a double feed. As the bolt is racked forward, the lifter arms swing up, the dog on the top of the left stop is engaged by the bolt which pushes the stop slightly down and out of the way. As this happens the slightly shorter right stop is cleared to swing left and take over for the now disengaged left stop.

If all the working parts are in good repair and not worn, the whole system prevents any possible double feed from happening regardless whether the shell is immediately fed into the chamber or not. The system works perfectly every time. This is as it should be.

If you have a model 37 pump that is double feeding under any condition, something is either broken or worn past the point of proper function. Go have it fixed. Most likely, one or both of the shell stops are damaged. I'm pretty sure parts are available.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Ol' John was sharp Cool Cool
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Parts are available, as are instructions-read them.
Best,
Ted
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:48 am  Reply with quote

There is no other person living or deceased that I know of that has had "genius" attributed to him more than John Moses Browning.
m856021
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

I had the double feed problem on one of my 37s a while back, the stops looked fine and the gun looked pretty much unused

The local gunsmith messed with it for a bit and tracked it down to a weak spring in one of the stops He replaced it with a stiffer spring and all is well now .

it must have some from the factory like that and never worked right so it was put away and never used .so keep an eye on the springs also if you have any troubles

it was a bad . not so much worn part causing the problem in this case
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Few folks deserve it more than Jonh B did. His time in shop spanned from days repairing and improving muzzle loading guns to after the advent of full auto squad weapons in the first world war. His insight and intellect improved them all. Some of his designs have yet to be topped. Plus, most if not all the weapon designs of today can be traced back to one or more of his ideas. His legacy is incredable.

m85. Its fascinatiing watching the 37 mechanism work. Glad to here your's is perking along. The 37 really is a hard act to follow. I'm looking forward to seeing the 28 gauge version due out soon. What a perfect companion gauge for the 16 it might be. Too bad Browning doesn't issue a 16/28 Citori 2 barrel set. Wouldn't that be something.
22-250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:01 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Few folks deserve it more than Jonh B did. His time in shop spanned from days repairing and improving muzzle loading guns to after the advent of full auto squad weapons in the first world war. His insight and intellect improved them all. Some of his designs have yet to be topped. Plus, most if not all the weapon designs of today can be traced back to one or more of his ideas. His legacy is incredable.

m85. Its fascinatiing watching the 37 mechanism work. Glad to here your's is perking along. The 37 really is a hard act to follow. I'm looking forward to seeing the 28 gauge version due out soon. What a perfect companion gauge for the 16 it might be. Too bad Browning doesn't issue a 16/28 Citori 2 barrel set. Wouldn't that be something.

I've got kind of a neat story:
About 40-45 years ago the Utah State Hunter Ed coordinator, Lee Robertson, was meeting with the Browning people in Morgan, UT, to help support the Utah Gun Safety program as it was called at that time, as it was still in its infancy. He got into a conversation with one of John Browning's grand children and this fellow told him that "I've some old guns at home that I would like you to look at and maybe you could tell me what they are worth."
Lee went to the man's home and down in the basement and the man started pulling these guns out of spaces between the above floor and joices of the basement ceiling. There were about 10 or 12 of these. They were wrapped in canvas and Lee could tell that moisture may have taken a toll on whatever was in them as the canvas was somewhat covered in mold.
As he unraveled the canvas his fears were somewhat correct as the rust was quite evident. Lee took a quick look at all the guns then told the man that these were not in very good shape. The man then told him that some of these were his grandfather’s guns. Lee took a closer look at the particular shotgun he was holding. It appeared to be an Auto 5 and the closer he looked he found a serial number, #1. Lee said he couldn’t believe it, he was holding John Moses Browning’s original A-5. He took a closer look at the remaining guns and determined that some, I think 6, of these were proto-types that John Browning built.
Lee then told the grandson: Do you know what you have here? The grandson then said something to the effect of “not really”. Lee told him that some of these guns were priceless. So Lee sat down with him and gave him a history lesson on his grandfather’s contribution to the development of firearms. Lee said the grandson had hardly a clue that his grandfathers inventive skills had contributed so greatly to firearm development on a grand scale. Lee talked the grandson into sending the proto type firearms back to the factory in Belgium to have them restored. The grandson did just that and today they are in the Browning Museum in Ogden, UT.
Kind of interesting I thought. Another thing Lee had learned from the Browning family was that John Browning was not a real long conversationalist. He was a quite person and did not often have much to say. The family had heard that John Browning would be having a meal at the table and would just get up without finishing and go to his shop and spend hours upon hours working on something he had in his mind. They said that he would grab a piece of railroad track and start drilling, grinding, filing, polishing and tempering until he got his desired effects.
Anyhow that’s how the story was told to me by Lee Robertson and I thought you may enjoy this tidbit. Smile
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:57 am  Reply with quote

22-250, excellent story. thank you for sharing. I've known a few folks of genious in my time. All of them had one common trait--they would rather follow up on the latest idea the were fascinated with than anything else including eating and/or sleeping. It could drive their family and friends nuts, but that is how many geniouses are built I guess.

My cousin Gene was a genious with passive microwave technology. He would get an idea in his head, and work on it for days or even weeks to the dismissal of almost anything else. He was a terrible businessman, because he'd forget to attend to the details of daily business needs, but his developements helped shape the industry.
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:51 am  Reply with quote

Nokola Tesla and some Italian guy from waay back come to mind - 2 more folks who's initial ideas spurned others to investigate further...

The Italian guy apprently invented a zipper and did some painting, Tesla did some stuff with electricity and played with a radio controlled submarine in the mid 1890's...

VERY cool story about John M. too
22-250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:08 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
22-250, excellent story. thank you for sharing. I've known a few folks of genious in my time. All of them had one common trait--they would rather follow up on the latest idea the were fascinated with than anything else including eating and/or sleeping. It could drive their family and friends nuts, but that is how many geniouses are built I guess.

My cousin Gene was a genious with passive microwave technology. He would get an idea in his head, and work on it for days or even weeks to the dismissal of almost anything else. He was a terrible businessman, because he'd forget to attend to the details of daily business needs, but his developements helped shape the industry.

16GG: I’ve had an acquaintance with a couple of those types of people. 36 + years ago I was working for Western Electric (Ma Bell) as an installer in San Francisco. The phone company was adding new type of features to an existing central switching system and was having problems with getting it to work properly. Bell Labs sent their guru from Illinois in to help out. This man had two people with him at all times telling him when to eat, sleep and quit for the day. That’s all their job entailed was to take care of him. Talk was that they had to make sure he had his pants on before he went to work. I can’t vouch for that, but I know about the eating and quitting part. Turns out he was the main person who developed the entire system, about the equivalent of some one person developing a motherboard and the integrated circuits today. He was sure into it to his work probably somewhat like John Browning was.
Browning must have had the inside of gun workings running around inside his head all the time. An interesting side note on the Win .22 model 61 (IMHO the best .22 pump gun ever) and the model 62 Win .22. Turns out the model 61 was introduced years after the model 62. The model 61 was hammerless and Winchester felt that the public would not accept the change to a hammerless long gun.
I can’t help but notice also that even the Win Model 12 action has John Browning written all over it, although it is credited to TC Johnson? I believe.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Most of what the Winchester folks knew about gun design came from going over all the various designs J.B. sold to the company. Only a percentage of the designs he sold them were ever made. Quite a few were snapped up to keep them off the market for various reasons. Some were considered too advanced for the times, and a definate threat to Winchester's marketing philosophy wrapped around the lever action repeater and 19th century thinking.

It was said Winchester actually surpressed the Browning designed slide action pump guns in favor of their lever action shotgun until it became obvious others were working on slide gun designs like Spencer for Marlin. The slide action rifle was already established by Colt. Winchester reluctantly came out with the 1893 which was a smash. the 1897 was an improved model.

By then Browning was working on the A5 auto feeder and considered pumps passe. We all know how Winchester refused his deal which led him to Belgium and FN. No need to rehash it. Winchester screwed up royally on this one. They never did come up with a competative auto loader, even after WWII. Remington beat them to it with the model 1100.

Most likely, the model 12 borrowed quite a bit of the ideas Browning had incorporated into his previous designs. Browning was by then hard at work developing automatic weapons for the coming war and probably decided not to get side tracked in any pattern infringement suits with Winchester. Their own people came up with the rounded action back as a weight saving technique to help it compete with the lighter hinge guns of the day and to make it sleaker looking. But, I'd bet my best Citori 16 most of the internal workings were gleaned from following J.B.'s ideas found in other gun designs. He'd already been there and done that.

It has been said the Reminton 1917 pump was a design Browning had partly developed just prior to 1900. However, he never showed the design to Winchester. He knew they'd view it as too advanced for the market. His original design is also said to have had a square backed profile similar to the A5.

Most folks don't know it, but Browning was an excellent trap shooter who knew the value of a longer sighting plane on a shotgun. His repeating shotguns were square backed for a reason. He shot them better that way. He believed others would too. Some folks still dote on the A5 for pass shooting at ducks because they seem to score better with it on the longer shots. Who can argue with success. Remington did not argue the point when they licenced the rights to make the Reminton 1911 autoloader, an exact duplicate of the A5 in all the important ways.

Browning sold the model 17 design to Remington whose folks rounded off the reciever back for he same reasons as Winchester. Remington, after developing the model 31 out of the model 17, later passed the older design on to Ithaca, who recognizing the possibilities due to the better steels available, expanded the gauges to 16 and 12, and marketed it as the 37 pump. It's still with us today. All the others are long gone except for a used model. That alone says something of the excellence of Model 37 design.

The Model 12 with its side ejection port is a better target gun for trap. No arguement there. However, the Ithaca model 37 is a better field gun on a number of counts in my opinion. It is slicker, quicker and easier to pump for repeat shots, more compact, better balanced, and quicker to the mark for upland bird hunting and low gun skeet. The Remington model 31, which is nothing but a side ejecting 37 is also a much better skeet gun than the Model 12, because it has the ease of side ejection or feeding like a 12, but retains the slicker, quicker pump action of the 37 for doubles shooting.

However, I've probably already started enough battles about this point with the guys who worship at the altwer of the BIG W. So, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find a quiet table to duckunder after buying a pint of the establishment's best stout. I'll let others younger than I go about the business of donnybrooking over the matter. It's more fun to watch the show at my age. Laughing
87016ga
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

can't help hitting the hornets nest, can you 16gg? Rolling Eyes
i'm sure you didn't forget the 870 and all it's rich history on purpose, so i will refrain from "giving you both barrels" Cool

ANY 16GA in your previous post would be a great addition to our collections, regardless of make or action type Very Happy IMO
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

The Model 12 is said to have been designed by a long-time member of Winchester's design staff, Thomas Crossley Johnson.....though there is little doubt that Browning was responsible for the design of some of the finest guns America has ever produced; not only the A-5 but the Winchester Model 78, the heavy Winchester lever rifles such as the 1886; the Model 1892 lever rifle, and the 1893 and 1897 Winchester pump shotguns, as well as the Model 1911 Colt Auto and the inimitable .22 Colt Woodsman. And that is aside from numerous military designs that helped us to win two World Wars.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:50 am  Reply with quote

87016ga wrote:
can't help hitting the hornets nest, can you 16gg? Rolling Eyes
i'm sure you didn't forget the 870 and all it's rich history on purpose, so i will refrain from "giving you both barrels" Cool

ANY 16GA in your previous post would be a great addition to our collections, regardless of make or action type Very Happy IMO

I would not dare slight either the 870 or the 1100. Few designs will ever approach the production and sales records these two fine guns have set. They are just super IMHO. They practically drove Winchester out of the repeating shotgun market on thier own merits. I own no less than 4 model 1100 autos.

However, I think Remington dropped the ball badly on their call to manufacture the 16 on a 12 gauge frame. I still believe they could easily adapt the smaller 20 ga frame to 16. If they had done it, I probably would not have even considered any other post- WWII 16 ga pump and the Ithaca 37 would be just as dead as the Model 12.

Further, My post is not meant to slight the model 12. It is still the benchmark design of pre-WWII pump guns. It was made in all five gauges if you consider the model 42 a scaled down 12. Its workmanship was excellent by and large.

However, IMO, the model 37 just plain rivals and surpasses the 12 in certain ways for smaller gauge guns than a 12 ga. Now that the new Ithaca company is coming out with a 28 ga. gun, I believe the design is reaching its full potential as an upland repeating bird gun. Its taken long enough. Perhaps the claim that the model 12 surpressed the 37 until it went out of production has to be seriously concidered. It took the model 870 to kill the model 12 off. But on the other hand, it still has yet to kill the 37.

One of my aims was to point out that Winchester upper management was too inflexible and stuck with designs that were passe after WW I. They just did not fully recognise or appreciate the value of the one man who had kept them afloat for decades with his updated designs. If they had kept John Browning on their side with a fairer offer for his services, I think Winchester would be the greatest gun company of all times instead of out of business.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:58 am  Reply with quote

16gg, you forgot to mention that the load from the bottom, eject from the bottom of the 37 helps keep debris from the action when in the field.

Wolfchief, you forgot two of my personal favorites, John's first success, the model 1885 single shot, and the no magazine tube needed model 1895 Winchester levergun.

My 1885 is chambered in caliber 22-250 Rem. As accurate as any bolt gun made, which came as a surprise to me since external hammers usually have a long lock time. The 28" barrel also helps milk all the power from that 65KPSI round.

The 1895 is the 100th anniversary model--all gussied up in silver with gold engraving. Caliber 30 ought 6. I took it deer hunting a couple times but it's still a virgin.

I think of John's genius every time I pick up one of these masterpieces of mechanical engineering. A Rube Goldberg he wasn't!!!