16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Economics of reloading shotshells
Merkel16shtr
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

I've loaded shotshells for many years but as my supply of shot that was purchased at a reasonable price has dwindled, I've started to contemplate whether or what I should be reloading. I have MEC loaders set up for all gauges from 28ga - 10ga. My calculations below are for a normal field load for (of course) a 16ga.

Current price analysis
Magnum shot: $48 per bag at Recobs (delivered)
Wads: $7.25 per 250
Primers: $28 per 1000
Powder: $19.50 per pound (Universal Clays @ PowderValley, delivered)

My typical 16ga load for Cheddite hulls is 1oz shot, 21gr Univ Clays, SG16 wad, 209 primer

Using the above pricing, the cost per box works out to:
shot - $3.00
powder - $1.46
wad - $0.72
primer - $0.70
Cost per box - $5.88

I consider this a quality load especially the higher antimony shot. However, for comparison I've bought a couple of flats of the Herter's 16ga from Cabelas for $55 per 10 boxes. And in my Merkel I've found the Herter's work very well.

Now when it comes to the other guages I load, the 28ga and 10ga make economic sense given the very high cost and scarcity of factory loads. However, for general target use on our skeet range, 12ga makes almost no sense at the component prices I've quoted above. And my 7/8oz 20ga load is very questionable.

So my question to you out there, especially the higher volume target shooters, is how do you justify reloading? At least from a purely economic perspective.

I realize AA and STS in 12ga is more than the price for Herter's that I listed above, but still I wonder. I don't shoot trap where the more expensive shells matter as much. The Federal target loads at Walmart work plenty fine for the more limited ranges on the skeet field.

Am I missing some way to lower my reloading costs?
4setters
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Merc, First a disclaimer--I shoot very few clays. However, I would agree with you that reloading is not a money saving option for most clay games, unless you have a brother-in-law that can give you lead shot at a discount. From your cost breakdown, shot is the major cost (>50%) of the load you posted, and it will probably be the greatest cost of any load you put together for a 16 gauge.

As an avid bird hunter, I shoot almost all reloads. There is a major cost savings to be had with "high" velocity loads, such as one might use for pheasants, but very little, if any, cost savings for "standard" velocity shells. The only difference between the two reloads is usually 1/8th of an oz of shot and a few more grains of powder, so they cost about the same. Premium high-velocity factory loads are up in the $15-20 range, but my costs are usually about $6-7 at box. Plus, my reloads are 99.9% reliable in a hunting situation--more than I can say of some of the factory high-velocity shells on the market today. I have been using the same high-velocity load of 27.5 gr 540 (now, HS6), SP16 wads, 1.25 oz of shot (#5, mostly), W209s in Win CF hulls for almost 45 years in 16s. First, for mallard ducks before non-tox laws came into force in the late 1980s and always for pheasants and my limited western hunting for chukars and pats. Extremely deadly load (in my next-to-last Iowa hunt about 6 years ago, I shot at 21 cocks over dogs, and 18 of them came home with us)!

So, the lure of reloading 16s has mostly to do with 1) cost saving for a few load types (see above); 2) loading shells not available on the market such as 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads with DR16 wads for clays; 3) loading #7 steel loads (unavailable in 16 gauge) for bird hunting or clays where lead isn't legal 4) loading other non-toxic loads such as ITX or bismuth; and probably others that don't come to my feeble mind at present.

Several years ago, I started to sweat it as my stash of ~$15/25 lb. shot was running low. Local sources of shot--when you can find it--run about $60 now with taxes. However, I started to look around, and have since acquired a couple hundred pounds of various shot sizes from estate auctions, friends who have quit hunting/reloading, etc. At good prices. While this may not be an option for a clay shooter that goes through a pallet of shot a year, it is a very real option for hunters. Like finding a stash of Win CF hulls!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Lets see, I do it because I enjoy it .

The herters won't funtion most of my A5s reliably and won't work in my short chambered guns .

I need 2 1/2 " shells for short chambered guns

Low pressure loads for my Damascus guns

Higher qualiy loads .

I load alot of 7/8 oz and 3/4 oz , which your can't buy for those prices .

The ability to load any 16ga load at any time .

Nontox loads , niceshot , bismuth and itx
kennedy756
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

I think your $5.88 is a great cost, it compares to what you pay at wally world for 12 ga, I load about the same, but I buy my shot for $37 at local gun club. If I did not reload 16ga, I could not afford for me and my grandson to shoot all we want. the other day, me, my grandson, daughter, son in law shot about 200 reloads shooting trap in their field, it was great fun and a family bonding moment.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

For the 12 and 20 I can't justify it and don't reload unless I run out of factory loads. I got to the point where I almost went to a Release trigger from getting pounded so much from shooting. Instead I went with a PFS stock and after a couple of years worked through it and was able to put the EELL wood back on. To keep it on I only shoot 7/8 oz. at 1200 fps max unless I'm hunting. I have 12 flats of 7/8 in 12 ga. sitting in the garage right now I just got from Rogers at $56 a flat delivered.

But in 16 ga. to shoot 7/8 oz. at 1200 fps means using RST at $130 a flat delivered, that is $13 a box. The other night I used the reloading calculator on Trap Shooters and If I bought everything new for the 16 it came out to about $5.60 a box. I buy in bulk at one of the local clubs, some things I get from Recobs and I am in the zone that they use SpeeDee delivery so shipping is about half the regular shippers and so are hazmat fees. But I have a fair amount of shot already and more than half an 8 lb. keg of Green Dot so at first it is more than worth it. Even when I have to start buying lead and powder it will still be well worth it for me compared to $13 a box.

My MEC 9000 came today, paid just over $600 for it which was a hard pill to swallow at first. But it won't take long to recover the cost. Not long ago you couldn't find 12 ga. 7/8 oz. loads except International trap loads at 1350 fps. Now there are at least 4 companies offering them at 1200 fps. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for someone to make 7/8 oz. 16 ga. at a reasonable cost.
JNW
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

If I could tolerate the recoil of 1 oz loads in my lighter 16 gauge guns I would not reload and just shoot Herter's.
Jeff
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

The high volume shooters that I know do reload. The pricing of the components is somewhat cheaper because they differentiate between practice and competition loads. For practice loads they use reclaimed lead shot that they get for about half the price of new shot. the loads used for competition use new components but the cost is still favorable when compared to factory new Gold Medal/STS etc.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with JNW on this---factory shells thump me even w/a Gracoil on my 525---I can load a 1oz for sporting or a 3/4 oz for skeet thet won't loosen my teeth.As far as 12/20 --yes I buy the cheaper loaded factory shells --BUT ---in the 16 I will take the time to load a more mild load.
jswanson
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:05 am  Reply with quote

Except for Cabela's Herters I can't buy GOOD 16 Ga anywhere near that price. This is especially true for hunting loads. For target loads reclaimed shot can lower your cost but your definitely need to run a magnet thru it. I do shoot a lot of Herters but really prefer my 7/8 oz reloads for any clay sport. Take it easy on the gun and me. Plus I like doing it and with a good supply of components I have a supply that should least quite some time.

Another problem with Herters is that in NY you can't have them derived you need to go get em.

Reloading makes sense for me.

Joe

Griffon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:13 am  Reply with quote

Now take your Herters 16ga shells at $5.55 a box sell the once fired hulls for .05 each you're down to $4.30 a box. I shoot my 16 exclusively at clays once a week and I can't reload that cheap. I used to sell reloading supplies at our club and recently found a bill for lead shot from my distrbutor from years ago $8.00 a bag. Glory Days.... We are currently paying $35.00 a bag from our target distributor.
I'm shooting the Herters through my SxS so anything fits. I can see the issues people have with Herters shells, limited 1 oz loads and failure to eject due to the small shell rim. Guess it's the old classic "Whatever Works For You".

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:23 am  Reply with quote

some decrease is what I've encountered over time once word gets out you are a 16er . 20 ga SI's have been pouring in - no cost . Our shot has run around 37 a bag for a while now . Guys have purposely been looking for cases in their travels - no cost (ALWAYS , kudos to Mikey C). Most of my non hunting has revolved around trap/skeet - 14 grns of 700X , Red Dot or Clay dot and 360 grns of shot . Always cut down cases . Specialized loading for the super mag ! Can't buy those loads anywhere , and they even cycle my 48's ..... I'm always out of touch with the factory loads as I got a pile a while back from a guy I know who lost interest in 16's . sold me a pile of RGL factories for 2.50 a box . If Nick calls 40 times in the next millennia , I won't run out of shells . But for targets - NEED to reload !!

old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:08 am  Reply with quote

While economics for 16 ga reloading is a factor, the real reason to reload 16 ga is choice of loads. I have loaded 16 for some 31 years in order to have the best load for hunting (nickel silver shot) and light loads (3/4, 7/8, 1oz) for hunting and target shooting.

jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:19 am  Reply with quote

My take on reloading the 16 is similar that of the Old Colonel's.
I load 16 Ga. for hunting load diversity, quality and hull life. My reloads have ejecta ranging from 3/4 oz. to 1 1/8 oz., loads that are impossible to get when buying new shells. Re hull life: My hunting loads are loaded in RMC brass hulls.

My primary hunting shotguns are light weight game guns and not suited for extensive target shooting. If I was a target shooter I would get a target shotgun and more than likely my ammo would be store bought.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Last edited by tramroad28 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
wellshooter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:13 am  Reply with quote

In addition to being able to load payloads that aren't commercially available it gives me a certain satisfaction to know 1) That I have created something and 2) I get that warm fuzzy feeling that the greenies get by recycling, recycling and recycling. Very Happy

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight