16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Economics of reloading shotshells
Merkel16shtr
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Yes, my original post was mostly geared towards target shooting because that is much higher volume in my experience compared to hunting. In addition to my 16ga target load in Cheddite hulls, I also reload a 1 1/8 oz load in Win CF hulls. My cost for a hunting load is certainly much more favorable compared to a factory load.

And when you get into specialty loads such as my 2 1/2" 7/8oz load for my SxS then reloading certainly is the better option.

But I was looking to see if my analysis of reloading costs was in the ballpark or if I was missing a way to find components at a cheaper price. So thanks to all who responded and I can see that even buying shot at a local club rather than a retail establishment is not going to save me much. Of course I'll always keep my eyes open to shooters getting out of reloading who are willing to sell their shot supplies at a good price.

My take away is that Herter's loads can be competitively priced if you catch them on sale and they work for your particular gun and shooting need. I'll continue to reload hunting shells and have the option to reload if Herter's shells go up in price or become scarce.
Little Creek
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

I agree that reloading is not a way to save money for most of us. The component prices mentioned here are lower than I can find in AK, with the exception of shot...I can currently get quality shot for $43 a bag.

None the less, I load 20, 16, and even 12 gauge with my three MEC loaders. Why? I use almost exclusively 7/8 ounce loads for clay shooting, dog training with birds, and grouse hunting. I also loaded some 2-1/2" 1 ounce loads for wild pheasant used in SD last year.

RST and other short shell loads are unavailable in AK, and haz mat shipping is way too expensive.

I use factory non-toxic loads.

Sixteen gauge shells are very expensive here. But for that I like the versatility offered by reloading.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:47 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
I use factory non-toxic loads.

Non-toxic loads are some of the most exciting new developments for 16ga reloading to come along in years, and the possibilities keep growing. Non-toxic is the future of shotgunning, and the 16ga handles non-toxic loads extremely well, moreso than the 3" 20 ga in my estimation.
Bismuth and especially ITX perform reminiscently of lead, and are becoming affordable to the point that I won't go back to miserable steel shot.
Reloading non-toxic shot for 16ga has become a rewarding new challenge for us.
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Danged gremlins! Twisted Evil These old fingers and keyboards don't always compute. The load recipe that I mentioned in the 2nd post of this thread--the one I have used for over 40 years for high-velocity work--should say 1.125 oz. of shot (1 and 1/8th oz.) rather than 1.25 oz. (1 and 1/4 oz.). My bad. Apologies!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:03 am  Reply with quote

If you factor in the cost of your time, economics flies out the window. I reload so I can feed my 1890's damascus Husky, and for specialty hunting loads, like 2.5" 1 1/8oz roll crimped hunting loads, itx, etc. Most of my target shooting is done with factory loads.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

For many of us, reloading is not about economics. It's about freedom and independence. I'm certain many here would agree with me on this.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Another reason that I reload most of my 16ga loads, especially for target shooting is the fact that 16ga shells are very hard to find locally here in SE Kansas. The only loads that area stores carry are high brass 6's which have not much use for quail hunting in this area where the only pheasants are on preserves and we can't use lead for duck hunting anymore.
I recently bought a few flats of the Herter's loads when Cabela's had them on sale and I like them but now Cabela's doesn't even list the 16ga loads there!

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
kennedy756
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:03 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
For many of us, reloading is not about economics. It's about freedom and independence. I'm certain many here would agree with me on this.

I agree, I like my freedom to load what and when I want. I hate getting invited to shoot some pasture trap and remember I need to go to the store for ammo.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:11 am  Reply with quote

I was able to get into a mass buy of shot recently and got Magnum shot for $33.00 a bag delivered.

Got W-209 Primers on a great sale at Graf's along with free shipping an a $15.00 HazMet fee if you bought 16 pounds of powder. Red Dot and Longshot (my go to 16 gauge powder) were on sale, so the powder worked out to $16.00 a pound all in.

Since I wanted to shoot 9s in my 16s and can't find anything but 8s, I can not load 3/4 to 1 1/8 oz loads at a better price than Estates on sale. Recently Remington Game Loads, that I was buying for $65.00 a flat have gone up and fortunately I have enough of the Remington 16 gauge hulls to last me for a number of years to come.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
dukxdog
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:29 am  Reply with quote

I bought components when I found good prices. I'll be loading shells for less than $3/box.

I bought 209 primers for $80/5,000
I bought shot for $25/bag

Last edited by dukxdog on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Dukxdog-

The amount of powder that you would have stockpiled for the amount of loads you claim is well over the limits defined as small amounts by federal regulation. I trust that if you're going to post such information on the internet that you are following those Federal regulations to the letter. To do otherwise is to risk uninvited visits by the authorities.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:54 am  Reply with quote

AmericanMeat -- Please lead me to those federal regulations and limits of which you speak. Thanks.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Maybe this will assist

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

dukxdog
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
AmericanMeat -- Please lead me to those federal regulations and limits of which you speak. Thanks.

Yes I'd like to see that also. I have not ever found a regulation as mentioned. There can be local codes for storage but nothing Federal for quantities that I've seen.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:13 am  Reply with quote

A relaxing interesting productive hobby with marginal cost savings that allows me to build loads for my 24, 16 & 10ga guns not commonly found.