16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Is reloading the 16 ga economical - now?
wa chukar hunter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:10 am  Reply with quote

Howdy - Well, I went from two to three 16 ga guns - when I was shooting alot (chukar, quail, huns and sporting clays) I reloaded quite a bit - especially target loads (I have a MEC 600 Jr that is still serviceable)

But, with the price of shot I am not sure it would be worthwhile and I would have to work up new loads for my guns as I have forgotten all my load data and I used to use a Fiocchi wad that I am not sure is available anymore as well as a Winchester wad.

Thoughts?

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:38 am  Reply with quote

a lot depends on what you do collectively . I use my 16's for everything from squirrels to 5/8oz trap to turkey load I developed etc . If you are ok with the factory 1oz/11/8oz loads to cover you , better get the Herters deals . If you want/need other loads , you have to reload . Once word gets out you are a 16er , stuff may FLOW to you . Some things from your prev life are the same , some have made wonderful advances . DR16's should have come along 50 yrs ago . The G28's I have are exactly the same as the Gwads Ballistic Products sells . We have accumulated more data for loading now than EVER before . 5/8 right up to 13/8 and I might even go for 11/2 . That is the decision you need to make !!

df
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:14 am  Reply with quote

I enjoy reloading and shooting my own creations. So I never do the math, but it is easy to calculate. I buy some factory loads for the empties, especially Herters. And I found some $9.99 Fiocchi Golden Pheasant nickel #5 shot so I bought a lot of them a few years ago.
With Herters shells being very reasonable, I doubt that you can reload cheaper. But if you shoot a lot of 1 1/8 ounce heavy loads, I suspect that they are cheaper to reload.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

The Herters are avail in #6 and #8. I want #7 and #7.5 for dove. So reload it is. However, I do buy the flats of Herters #8 and use them first for the hulls.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

The economics for reloading non toxic shells are EXTREMLY favorable at this moment (if you don't include steel which is not only non toxic but almost non lethal, we detest the stuff). But some very attractively priced bismuth shells recently appeared, so the advantage for reloading non toxic might be discounted in the future.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:30 am  Reply with quote

Depends on the load and quantity you intend to shoot and how you value your time.

MEC offers this calculator that might help your decision...

https://www.mecshootingsports.com/t-CostBenefitsSavingsCalculator.aspx

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:59 am  Reply with quote

thanx for putting that in there Putzie - my approx. cost per box is about 3.35 a box for loads you can't BUY !!

JNW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,
How do you get down to $3.35 a box? Are these components you bought years ago? Are you calculating a price for hulls? I can't get anywhere near that number and I buy everything in large quantities.
Curious,
Jeff
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:12 am  Reply with quote

You're welcome, use in good health.

I find using reclaimed shot (for short range <30y target loads), purchasing bulk wads & #8lb powder helps the unit costing.

rkittine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:14 am  Reply with quote

My reason to reload 16 gauge is that I am a skeet shooter and 1 1/8 ounce no. 9 16 gauge loads are no longer available. Now that I have been able to get Longshot, Shot and Primers at good discounts, I think I can reload these for less than buying 1 ounce no 8s and for sure much less if loading 1 ounce of shot. I guess, from a cost standpoint, it will depend on how well you buy components and if you consider your time an expense, which I do not count as I like to load. In theory you will also get more consistent ammo, if you in fact take the time to load consistently.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:30 pm  Reply with quote

If you want the very best ammo, reloading is most economical compared to buying what passes as premium ammo (some of which is and some of which isn't). The cheap by the case Herter's are close to what target loads cost to load but the components used for reloads are typically better, especially if harder shot is desired.

jfky
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Not only is it still a way to keep cost down you can never find ammo in all the possible combinations that you can custom load. I load from 5/8 to 1 1/16 ounce loads in shot from 6 up to size 9, 1050 to 1250 fps in two different shell lengths. Better yet it is supply on demand with no extra shells out of stock or shells unused for years on end left in the ammo safe.
wa chukar hunter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Fired 2 cases of the Herters loads from Cabelas - work great - but I have been rebuilding my reloader - some parts went missing over the years - new drop tubes, primer assembly - drop tube, shot powder bottles and pre crimp - so far my significant other is enjoying de priming and priming hulls - we have powder and shot is available but no wads yet to be found in Waco so I ordered BP 1 oz wads

jswanson
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:47 am  Reply with quote

For me reloading is a fun hobby. But the real issue for the 16 is if you want t high quality ammo loaded with the best quality components at a reasonable cost reloading is the only answer.

jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:46 am  Reply with quote

The choice to reload or not is personal and you have only yourself to make happy.
I reload for quality and ejecta options unattainable from 16 Ga. ammo manufacturers and because of those options, cost does not matter.