16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herters 16 ga shells
wa chukar hunter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought a case of Herters 1 oz 16 ga shells at Cabelas - I paid $56.99 a case and thought it would be a decent shell for the money.

Looks like a Cheddite case with quality components - rated at 1165 - incidently I think there is a load using Universal Clays to do the same thing may be interesting.

Figured I would use them for training birds and shooting clays once in a while - if I like them I will get some in 6s for huns this September in Montana. And woodcock in Texas.

Experiences?

Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

We bought a flat of no. 8 and their performance on trap was mediocre. Other shooters on the line remarked on several dusters which I didn't see. Yes it was a cold windy winter afternoon with nontoxic targets, but I did much better with my 2 1/2 in. reloads in the subsequent rounds that day, with no dusters noticed.

Afterward I disassembled a shell and found that the pellets were not no. 8 but more like no. 8 1/2.

Not withstanding all that, there were zero duds and they should work fine on skeet this summer. They reloaded very nicely when cut down to 2 1/2". I would not hesitate to pick up another flat at the right price.
fourtrax
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:21 am  Reply with quote

I have more problems keeping the pattern on target. But, I do not think that is a shell issue. :roll:

wellshooter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:50 am  Reply with quote

I've been shooting Herter's # 8's for a couple of years, probably close to 20 flats. They always go bang, and the hulls reload nicely, but I'm not sure they are that great down range. But then some days I seem to be on target and some days I'm not.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
df
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot 15 or so boxes of the 1 ounce of 8s loads. They perform just fine for me on doves and sporting clays. I can't say that I would have shot any better with a more expensive load.
The crimps do split on me though after 3 or 4 reloads.

I think they are the best value going in 16 ga non heavy load shells.
pbeaver
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

They are made in Italy & have Italian shot sizes, which run a bit smaller.

Phil
Ringneck16
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

From the ones I've measured, the 5=6 and 6= 6.5. In the 12 gauge Herters the 4=5.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

When people pattern them that would make the patterns look much better than they really are when one assumes shot count without actually counting out a charge. BP's nickel plated lead is the same way and the size discrepancies do vary from size to size as well.
I burned up three cases of #8's in a tight choked Fox this past season, mostly on doves and scaled quail along with some preseason clays (about 5 boxes on clay). They worked okay but I certainly noticed better performance from my reloads past 30 yards. On the flip side of the coin they opened my patterns and gave me longer shot strings which improved my scoring average on closer shots. I also ended up with a heap of hulls-a good thing for sure.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
From the ones I've measured, the 5=6 and 6= 6.5. In the 12 gauge Herters the 4=5.

The 6 shot is on sale at this moment, anyone have any report on how it works on trap and sporting clays, as it is actually #6.5?
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

If allowed at your facility, it does wonderful!!
Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
pbeaver
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

I can't find my notes, but I think I measured the #6 at about .106" and counted around 220 pellets in the one Herters I checked.

Phil
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

NOW, FREE SHIPPING if you buy two flat Smile

16 Gauge 2-3/4" 1 oz. # 6 1,165

Regular Price:
$59.99

Sale Price:
$54.99

In Stock

Or just 2 cents a cartridge more for #8 shot

http://www.cabelas.com/product/herter-s-reg-select-field-dove-and-quail-shotshells/1601971.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dherters%252Bshotshells%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=herters+shotshells

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

Herter's 16 ga 1oz #6 Lead

These seem to be a great new 16ga load that strangely are price at an amazing $54 per flat at Cabelas. They are the Cabelas brand "Herters", and are a cheddite hull. Hulls are vibrant purple with a slight transparency that allows you to see the shot and wad, and are slightly ridged. Heads are brass washed steel, sporting 4 stars and "16"s on the stamp. Basewad is the familiar translucent white cheddite. Crimp is deep and even 6 point fold. Hulls and box are labeled "Dove and Quail" and "1165 fps". Box says "Made in Italy".

I was very impressed when using them, shot a box at Eurasian Collared Dove, about 1.5 times the size of mourning dove, and this shell did quite well. In #6 I'm used to using 1-1/8oz payloads, usually Remington game loads or reloads in Rem hulls.

Dissassembled a Herters 16ga 1oz #6. All shot very round and symmetrical, looks to all be the same size with no obvious size differences.
Shot sizes:
.107 ,.107 .106 .106 .112 .113 .106 .111 .107 .109 .102 .107 .108 .106 .106 .108 .110 .108 .109 .109

Average pellet size .108. #6 lead is .110", #7 is 0.100". So we're talking #6.2 or so if it was to have a precise name; it's #6. Each pellet weighed 1.875 gr average while 1.94 gr is the "approved weight" for 5% antimony #6 and 1.98gr/pellet for chilled lead.
Pellet count: The shell had 429.3 gr in it vs. 437.5, that's 4 pellets short-- a pretty darn good weight and accuracy. Should be 220 chilled lead and 224 of 5% antimony pellets. I counted one shell and there were 229 pellets.

Granted it's just one shell, but from that single data point I'll say this: very nice hull, excellent crimp, accurate weight compared to many commercial loads, shot just smaller than #6 and well within the SAAMI specs, and better than most lead I've looked at.

Took some pics, but just don't want to mess with uploading them somewhere else right now... forum software and sites that don't host and upload pics are such a pain, can't stand the double logging into somewhere else to post up pics here. Anyways, the shells are slightly transparent and look great!

Haven't reloaded any yet but the once fired all looked nice.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:49 am  Reply with quote

Nice report, Dave!

I have a friend who is an astute wingshooter and he said these Herter's 1 oz. 6's did a good job for him on South Dakota pheasants.
waggo71
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:51 am  Reply with quote

I have used the 1oz #6 loads for some time with no ill effects, I bought a couple cases of the hi-brass 1 1/8 oz #5's during a good winter sale but haven't cracked any open yet. Not many pheasant around here but I imagine that they will cause the immediate expiration of a squirrel.