16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddite 2 3/4 hulls, z16 wads, 1 oz loads... Crimp issues
Msuiceman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Getting way too much free-hull to make a good crimp. Dished is an understatement... I'll check my bar to ensure its throwing 1oz of shot, maybe its short throwing.... I bought some nitro cards from bpi, but they don't really readily fit in the shot cup, so I guess I need different filler wads.

My powder is 21gr of universal.

I'm pretty new to shot shell reloading, so I apologize if its a silly question.

Anyone use this combination of components without this issue? There are loads I see with with combo, but I just fail to see how they would work.
Atepac
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

I believe the z16 is for hevier loads 1 1/8 and even 1 1/4 without the use of fillers. So if your not using a filler wad I would think that must to be your issue.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

Yes check your shot drop weight and powder weight first , charge bars and bushings usually throw light . Seems like that load should fit .
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

After looking at it you may need a filler with that wad , if so 28ga card wads will fit in the shot cup under the shot . You should have about 5/16th " from the top of the shot to the end of the hull , no more than 3/8" to get a good crimp .

The SG16 wad would be a better choice no filler needed.

Cheddite 1 oz. Universal 21.7 Ched 209 BPI SG 16 1220 8,500 Hodgdon Web
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

The 1 oz. Z16 load fits perfectly in a 2 1/2" Cheddite hull, so a 2 3/4" Cheddite hull will need something to take up the empty volume. You may want to try the OB16 1/4" spacer from BPI. Or you could get Byrdog's trimmer and cut your hulls down to 2 1/2".
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:51 am  Reply with quote

Is too much wad seating preasure a culpret? Putting a cherio or 2 in before before dropping the shot might help.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:56 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
The 1 oz. Z16 load fits perfectly in a 2 1/2" Cheddite hull, so a 2 3/4" Cheddite hull will need something to take up the empty volume. You may want to try the OB16 1/4" spacer from BPI. Or you could get Byrdog's trimmer and cut your hulls down to 2 1/2".

Yes I put one together last night fit perfect in the short hull . The OB16 will be to big to fit in the shot cup , 28ga card wads fit really nice . 1/8" should do it .

Or cheerios will also work .

Last edited by fn16ga on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
DanLee
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:18 am  Reply with quote

Or you could just drop a thin 28-gauge overshot card on top of the shot at the pre-crimp station.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:23 am  Reply with quote

I use the same Universal, 1 ounce load as you, only with the SG-16 16 wad. I get great crimps with no fillers, cards or anything.

The 21 grains Universal load in that Cheddite hull is listed as a1200 fps load, but running them across my Oehler chronograph I only got 1170 fps. I had to go up to 22 grains to get 1200 fps.

Msuiceman
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Roger. I'm going to order some sg16 wads... I also just picked up 500 rounds of fiocchi and Winchester...

how does one tell what hull the Winchester super x dove loads use? They are probably early 90s vintage or so?
PIOBill
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:12 am  Reply with quote

I had the same problems with Federal hulls. I had used a spreader in a box of Herter's hulls so it was not that much of a problem on the crimp. I just ordered the 28 ga, fiber wads to use with the BP 1oz wads I have.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:55 am  Reply with quote

One or two Cheerios under or over the shot , done!
I prefer under.

BUT get the correct wad and no issues with fillers,

Mike

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Sometimes I use cheerios, but they crush down too easily if there is much space to be taken up, like in this case.

There are however a zillion things you can stuff in there-- it needs to be light so it doesn't add to the payload charge, firm enough to resist the crimp and provide a good crimp, and flimsy enough to not impede the shot patterns. It also should not be hygroscopic (attract and hold water) like flour (or cheerios heh) if you're not shooting it quickly.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a set of hole punche chisels for $10, the large one will punch out nice size for 12, 16, 20ga wad fillers. Here's the things I use:
felt, 1/8" thick, buy at Michaels or Hobby store
foam meat trays, the stuff chicken is packed on.
cardboard
flax-seed <<< I like this best! 1/2 t poured on top of the shot or so, easy.
toastees (Don't use real Cheerios, they're 3x as expensive! Wink )

The other stuff is best placed below the shot (felt, foam, cardboard). There's no reason to pay for OS or nitro cards to stuff into wads to fill up space.

Once you start noticing and collecting "wad filler materials", it can become a whole new adjunct to your hobby, and isn't near the sickness that endless collecting of used hulls is... That's what I tell my therapist.
craig larter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:40 am  Reply with quote

If you are using a mec loader check your pre crimp. According to mec the pre crimp should have an opening about the diameter of a primer. I had an awful time with 3/4OZ 12GA loads terrible dishing. I corrected the pre crimp as mec recommended and the dishing went away and I get perfect crimps.
Msuiceman
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

well skeettx, I tried the cheerio thing and it worked like a charm. 1 cheerio, 1 oz shot and the z16 wad crimped just fine....

I have a lot of sg16 wads coming, but I just couldn't wait! what can I say? I'm impatient when I get a new toy.