16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  The Perfect Game Load
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

I agree it has much to do with range and choke. Unfortunately even with good setters range and angle is not always predictable. We don't alays get the shot we want, but can pick you shot you'll take.

I shoot mostly open choke .05 & .15 for what it is worth. Another gun I use for preserve shooting is cylinder, cylinder.

All said the perfect load is completely subjective, though I would argue it is lighter than many actually use

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

From Blackstewart:

I hunt a LOT of pheasant in the country of Mexico. When I am in the blocking position at the end of the field, the pheasants are being driven to me, with most of the shot presentations are overhead. For this situation, I use a 28ga Winchester Super Sport loaded with 3/4 oz of 7 1/2. This load will kill overhead pheasants all day long.

However, when I am pushing those freshly cut milo fields I change to 12ga Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads with 1 5/8 oz of nickel plated 5 or 6's. With this load we don't loose many pheasants!

Yup. I agree based on personal experience. An incoming rooster at close range is a lot easier to cleanly kill than a departing one w/ a tail wind out past 30 yards.

Incomers have their heads and necks completely exposed. A well placed pattern of 7.5 shot in the noggin will dump them every time. But even with their heads shot to junk, they might flop around or even get up and sprint into the shrubs. Their reptilian nervous systems can take an amazing amount of damage and still function. So be ready for it and watch where they go or risk losing them.

Potting an outgoing a rooster in the fanny w/ a light load of fine shot is a sure recipe for "no birds today stew". A heavy load of #5 shot can be marginal if none of the major wing and leg bones are snapped. A 1-1/2 ounce load of #4 shot put right on an outgoing bird will do it all day and out past 40 yards in my experience.

So I guess the moral to the story is to use the load what works for you on the birds your hunting under the conditions you're hunting in and forget what the so called experts say. They can't possibly know squat about it 'cause they ain't there w/ you. Wink
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:48 am  Reply with quote

I didn't know that Mexico had pheasant, please tell us where in Mexico.
Blackstewart
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like you and I have very similar loads for what works for us. I shoot most all my upland in the USA with a 28ga. 7-7 1/2 for Mearns quail, 7 1/2-9 for dove.

However, I'm in the process of acquiring a 16ga SxS (probably a Merkel, Garbi or AYA) to hunt Gambel and Scale quail with. I'll probably shot 7 1/2 & 6's for those desert track stars.

Mexico is a different story. I use to take both 28 & 12ga shotguns down, but the Mexican gov't has gotten too crazy about shotgun ammo limits. So now I only take down 2 12ga's. My ammo is: Pheasant, Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 1 3/8 nickel plated 5 or 6's, and for Dove, which last season was about 75% Eurasian Dove, 1 - 1 1/8 #6's Those Eurasian Doves will absorb a lot of shot. I will shoot 7 1/2'-8 on morning dove, if we get into them.

old colonel wrote:
I have found 1 oz loads work on preserve birds ( pheasant, chukar, & quail) but only found them consistent on wild quail. For grouse, pheasant, and prairie chicken 1 1/8 early season and 1 1/4 for late season roosters.

I usually shoot mostly 7/8 on targets

I keep all loads in the 1100-1150 FPS range regardless of weight

For shot size I use 7.5 for targets. #7's for quail, prairie chickens, and early season pheasant. Late season I follow with #5's.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

7 1/2 or 6 shot for scales?! Those shot sizes down chukars and huns with authority at some pretty lengthy distances. I have literally bagged 1000+ scaled quail over the years and an ounce of 8 1/2's will cut 'em clean at 40 yards all day. 8's have serious reach in a tight choked gun.

Blackstewart
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:39 am  Reply with quote

While you are certainly welcome to you option, I can only share based on my experiences.

I don't like runners, and gambel/scale quail down here in the S.E. AZ desert will run and hide. You & dog can spend a lot of time gathering up those wounded birds. Not to mention that a dog filled with cactus can ruin the days hunt.

I'll shoot 7 1/2 or 6's all day long if it helps me avoid runners and cactus.

WyoChukar wrote:
7 1/2 or 6 shot for scales?! Those shot sizes down chukars and huns with authority at some pretty lengthy distances. I have literally bagged 1000+ scaled quail over the years and an ounce of 8 1/2's will cut 'em clean at 40 yards all day. 8's have serious reach in a tight choked gun.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

My personal experience indicates more crippling from using too coarse of a shot size. Too many broken wing birds that otherwise would have also received a pellet or two in a vital area with smaller shot.
The goal with load and shot choice is to run out of both punch and pattern at the same time otherwise it becomes a case of sparse coverage or inadequate penetration and knock down sooner than should be.
I don't like cripples or picking nasty cacti from my dog either. There is also something to be said for shooting a bird twice when needed and for picking which shots not to take.

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
My personal experience indicates more crippling from using too coarse of a shot size. Too many broken wing birds that otherwise would have also received a pellet or two in a vital area with smaller shot.
The goal with load and shot choice is to run out of both punch and pattern at the same time otherwise it becomes a case of sparse coverage or inadequate penetration and knock down sooner than should be.
...There is also something to be said for <...>picking which shots not to take.

Somewhere else back there wyo also said you have to match choke and load to situation/range; I agree on that and thought I'd add my experience too.

I'm with Blackstewart here on pellet size... I also find that with Gambel's quail I do better with #6 or #7 than #8. When I hunted quail in TX, #8 seemed just fine. But here in AZ, the Gambels that I chase just run 75 yards out, and I'm lucky to get one to flush in range. When they do, they're almost always a low-penetration presentation from the back side, protected by tail and feathers and back muscle, head and neck on the far side of the bird. Every shot is different, but after enough shots I've built the picture that #8 is a gambels wounder... it knocks them down with something broken, then I have to chase them around and wring their neck. #6 gives me much better performance in getting clean kills. Of course I don't shoot it IC, but concentrate the pattern at 45 yards with Mod or IM.

Once the penetration is achieved, pattern density can be manipulated to get 1-2 vital hits in a quail, 5 hits on it's surface area, with choke and load. Poor wide-open chokes with #6 have indeed resulted in not enough hits.

I don't have a dog, so likely see further ranges than either of you when I do get one to fly, but I can tell you for sure-- when walking gambels up in AZ, #8 isn't sufficient for me on penetration range. Even for dove, of which I shoot a LOT and have known ranges for virtually all my shots (dairy that I've measured ranges in all my shooting directions), #8 is not as good as #7.5 if I'm shooting at 40 yards or more, although I do shoot it often with just a tighter range discipline.

Anyways, I've found the gambels to be significantly tougher than their size and quail-iness would indicate.

Just to throw some science into the discussion, here's the penetration ranges for lead pellets, 1000'msl, 70F, 1250fps MV, and a arbitrarily picked 1.0" ballistic gel penetration-- you've got to pick some number to compare, I'm not saying 1.0" is correct OR that these are the "REAL" useful ranges for these pellets, we're just looking at the differences between them. KPY ballistics software, 1-1/8oz.
#8 43 yards, 454 pellets
#7.5 49 yards, 386 pellets
#7 56 yards, 331 pellets
#6 69 yards, 249 pellets

With 707 sq-in in a 30" circle, for #6 that's 0.35 pellets/sq-in for the #6 1-1/8oz load. With a 15 sq-in target (quail, 4.5" diam circle), you get 5.5 pellet hits on the bird's area, of which 1-2 should hit a vital. Constricting your pattern tighter than 30", say to 24" (not many pellets in the outer 3" ring, centered), you now get 8.6 pellet hits in a quail sized target. With heavier center weighted patterns, pellet hits go up. Just numbers, yes, but clearly you can achieve more than enough #6 pattern density for a quail, and greatly improve penetration with #6 vs. #8.

All of us have our own results based on how we hunt and the shots we get/take, I'm sure my variables aren't the same as Wyo's and I'm not saying he's "wrong" at all; just throwing some thoughts out there. It's been a dry spell for forums, haven't found anything to read or discuss for days! Wink
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, and I'm still waiting to hear about this pheasant hunting in Mexico! I think a lot of folks reading this thread are interested in this, Blackstewart, can you tell a bit more on this?

Only pheasant I know of in AZ are game preserve birds, maybe there's one small area near Yuma according to AZGF; what type of pheasant are you discussing in Mex, wild or set, etc? Love to hear more about this!
Blackstewart
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Pheasants in Mexico. They are the same Ringneck birds we have here in the US. I've been hunting down there just over 18 years. Just southeast of Mexicali and southwest of Yuma

IMHO, posting photos here is too difficult, but if you PM me you email address I will send you some photos and contact information.

We shoot a LOT of morning, whitewing and Eurasian doves also.

Dave In AZ wrote:
Oh, and I'm still waiting to hear about this pheasant hunting in Mexico! I think a lot of folks reading this thread are interested in this, Blackstewart, can you tell a bit more on this?

Only pheasant I know of in AZ are game preserve birds, maybe there's one small area near Yuma according to AZGF; what type of pheasant are you discussing in Mex, wild or set, etc? Love to hear more about this!
old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

My father shoot pheasants in Mexico once in the 70's. I can't say if pen raised or not, but I assume they were as they don't breed in Kansas very far south of Kansas.

Last edited by old colonel on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Have been hunting AZ dove and quail for 40 years and I like 7 1/2" on doves and #7 for Gambel Quail. Anything smaller and I get too many cripples. My GSP's find and retrieve them for me but I would prefer they spend their time looking for more birds to point.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:16 am  Reply with quote

Dave, the science stuff certainly is interesting. While fun to play around with, I quit using theoretical pellet coverage not long after taking up studies of such things. A 4.5" circle seems a bit generous considering the actual size of the quail's brain and breast region without the feathers. Real patterns vary.
The bottom line is to fire some patterns with whatever you want to try on paper and look for holes where a bird would slip through. Or worse yet look for spots where a bird might get a nothing more than a broken wing if we are talking about runners like chukars, pheasants, and quail. Take into account different shot angles and the fact that there is some loss to stringing no matter how good the load is.
I do stand by my recommendations though, 80-100 days in the field each season do tend to cement my observations of what is and isn't working out in general and with each gun. This thread asks what we think and I merely share what I have discovered in hope that it will benefit others.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:58 am  Reply with quote

I believe that shot placement trumps payload and pellet size.

There are those that lead the body or take shots that place pellets in the body of a bird.

There are those that lead the head of the bird.

The guys that lead the head are not going to need the heavier payloads or large shot sizes. If you are of the mindset to hit birds in the head than there are shots you don't take, such as a dead going away shot, when you cannot see the head on the larger birds, such as pheasant.

i have never seen large lead pellet sizes kill birds pheasant size and down consistently. While 5's and 4's knock a lot of birds down many times those sizes do not kill them as well as 6's, unless you use heavy (like 1 1/2 oz.) payloads. I see no reason for these huge payloads. I don't claim to have the same experience as Wyo, but I stopped using the heavy loads after the second year hunting in Iowa. That was back in 1993.

That's my 2 cents, YMMV. Cool