16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Help reading Load Data Handbook
jon math
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:52 am  Reply with quote

I’m getting into reloading shot shells and could use some help from the experts. Please do not post specific load data that is not really what I’m looking for.

I picked up a current handbook of loading data, very nice, with hundreds, if not thousands of loads for all gauges. I also picked up a 16 gauge specific data book from Ballistic Products, also a nice manual. As a newbie to reloading I was amazed how changing a single component can drastically change the pressure or velocity of the shell.

My question is how do you know what a target load is and what is a hunting load, or a lighter recoiling, or tighter patterning etc load?

The manuals seldom specify a shot size, or usage, listing only load weights, pressures and speeds. Being totally new to this I may not be reading the data correctly too.

As an example one load might be something like 1-1/8 ounce of shot at 1200 FPS and 10,000 PSI and the next one is the same weight and speed but it develops 8500 PSI what is the difference between those loads, or why would one be a better choice?

I'm totally lost and don't want to hurt myself or blow up a shot gun!

Thanks

Jon

16 GA Stevens 235
16 GA Stevens 107-B
16 GA Winchester 1200
16 GA Remington 11-48
DanLee
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:15 am  Reply with quote

Someone else will chime in with a lengthy treatise covering all your questions and more. Limiting myself to your query about the difference between target and field loads, generally the difference is set by the rules of trap and skeet. Target loads in the 12 gauge have a shot weight of 1-1/8 oz or less and a shot size no bigger than No. 7-1/2. Trap velocity is not supposed to exceed 3 drams equivalent, or 1200 fps, but some handicap shells wink at that rule by quite a bit. Skeet shells have no velocity limit, but the limits on weight and size of shot are the same as trap.

Small bore skeet shells have 7/8 oz, 3/4 oz, and 1/2 oz in the 20, 28, and .410 respectively. The 16 is not a registered skeet gauge.

Field loads are anything you want them to be, but game laws may dictate what's legal in terms of shot size and shot material.
jon math
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Thank you!

Thanks, that all makes sense. I guess in theory every load listed for 16’s in the guides are hunting loads, or informal target loads.

16 GA Stevens 235
16 GA Stevens 107-B
16 GA Winchester 1200
16 GA Remington 11-48