16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Kent Tungston Matrix - Non Toxic Loads
justchris
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Bad news boys, Kent has discontinued production of their Tungston Matrix loads for the 2006-2007 season.
They state the reason is the high cost of raw materials.
I've looked at every possible place I know of on the web that carried them for the 16 ga. and they're all sold out! (Macks Prairie Wings, Ballistic Products, Firearms Service and Auto Life Outdoors.)
Cabela's doesn't carry any for the 16 ga.
Looks like it's Bismuth if you use factory loads.
Chris
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

No sweat boys, I've used Bismuth exclusively in my Merkel 1620 since 2003 and it works fine---I admit it's a bit expensive but the load brings down the ducks. It too is getting hard to find. My source has been Gander Mountain....but Mack's Prairie Wings carries Bismuth too, I think.

87016ga
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

ooohhhh sh!t, here we go!!!!!
EVERYBODY THANK ALL THE A-HOLE BURECRATS WHO ARE AFRAID OF LEAD!
chopper
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

I called Kent today to express my disappointment with the ending of the TM line for 06-07. I found two things...

Kent can not get Tungsten right now and are line down with that product line. They purchase it form over seas and they don't have any moving at this point. When they do ship Tungsten it's going to be slow boat to the US.

Additionally, Kent advised that they retail price will likely double when the do have more due to the price increase in raw materials. More along the lines of the hevi/hi-density/extend loads by the big three.
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:39 am  Reply with quote

So whats wrong with the steel shot that Remington and Federal makes. I have a few boxes but must admit, I haven't shot any yet. I did notice that the Federal advertises about 50 fps more than Remington. I plan to use it in my Ithaca 37's. An open choke of course.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

87016ga,

Are you old enough to remember ducks dying of lead poisoning from ingested shot?

Are you old enough to remember that the change to non toxic steel shot was not an act of political correctness, it was for conservation of wild ducks.

Are you old enough to have learned that not all our problems can be blamed on "BURECRATS".

Jeff
dcat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:
87016ga,

Are you old enough to remember ducks dying of lead poisoning from ingested shot?

Are you old enough to remember that the change to non toxic steel shot was not an act of political correctness, it was for conservation of wild ducks.

Are you old enough to have learned that not all our problems can be blamed on "BURECRATS".

Jeff

Jeff,
I do not want to get in a lead vs. non-toxic argument, but I do have to take exception to much of what you have posted.

True, some ducks died from lead poisoning. How many die lingering deaths now because steel shot especially is not near as effective as lead shot?

I can see the requirement for non-toxic shot on the refuges and in the bays and estuaries with shallow water, but do not agree that eliminating all lead shot was necessary in all areas to prevent lead poisoning. Examples: peanut fields, rivers, and deepwater. There simply was not and is not any scientific evidence to support the prohibition of lead shot from those areas.

Regards,
dcat
87016ga
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

jeff mulliken:
yes sir i am old enough to remember all of the above you've posted.
thanks to dcat for saving me the trouble of typing out an answer almost verbatem.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Steel shot is positively the worst, most dubious "conservation measure" ever foisted on an unsuspecting public ! It has probably crippled as many ducks per year used as the lead loads presumably have. It is a joke, and I absolutely will not use it; I respect the waterfowl resource too much for that. The Bismuth, Tungsten and Hevi-shot are quite costly---but they do not cripple ducks nearly as readily as steel. I wait all year to shoot 3 or 4 dozen ducks per season, and it's sickening to see them limp away if they are fringe-hit with poor loads. I don't mind paying a few bucks more to keep that ugly sight to a bare minimum.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

Amen Wolfchief!

And if Billary gets back in, they can throw their weight behind banning lead for shot and bullets, and damn near near put us out of business. A very effective form of gun control (without actually banning guns), especially with today's weird science and culture of misinformation. Scary!!

87016ga
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:51 am  Reply with quote

you hit it on the head h/c:
burecrats come in all shapes and sizes.
poor farming practices, i.e. draining low grounds, herbicide and pesticide run-off etc........
mass-market hunting 100-120 years ago.
factory and manufacturing plant dumping waste into lakes and streams years ago......
all have done far more to degrade quality duck hunting and "poision" more ducks than "uncle roy shooting 1/2 a box of lead #4 high brass loads for woodies back in "72"

burecrats, mr. mulliken, come in all shapes and sizes.

seeing as how the price of ammo is sky-rocketing along with everything else, (ammo requires petroleum to produce and ship) thank a corporate burecrate at exxon.
the 10 BILLION dollar 3rd quarter profits sure help line the pockets of that corp's upper tier. (stock options, bonuses driven by profit etc.....)

know wonder our ammo is so damn expensive, in part.

burecrats, mr. mulliken, come in all different colors.

my original "outburst" stands tall. it hade nothing to do with "political correctness" as you seemed to think it ment.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:11 am  Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of ammunition. If things continue down the current path, hunting will be a rich man's game before too long anyway. In many places it already is.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
87016ga
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

yes fin, sadly, you are correct.