16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  older Win powders/Wolf primers?
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:13 am  Reply with quote

I have a line on some NOS Win 452 & 473 powder. I see a few recipes for it on the spreadsheets and see some info on the web + couple old threads here, seems like it was a love/hate thing regarding them, some negatives; messy in the press, dirty burning, bloopers in cold.

Also any experience with Wolf 209 primers?

Any experienced opinions/remembrance of this stuff appreciated. Thanks in advance...

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:18 am  Reply with quote

hey Mikey - those old powders were designed for old AA cases primarily and worked pretty well in them . Should be the same in the STS etc of today . I've always had a problem with Ball powders being a little harder to lite up - the 28 ga Hevi load I'm messing with is still the same . If you were to load these powders in chedd cases , I'd expect to need hotter primers .... Wolf primers ... they've been around a while , but don't recall much mention as to how hot they are . Maybe larger diam also . I'd try them with the 452 in some chedd loads with maybe no less than 1oz , and use the 473 in STS with some Win / Chedd primers - same thing , at least 1 oz . As to 16ga , either one with 7/8 or 1oz . I'd treat them like 452/red dot , and 473/green dot .

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:33 am  Reply with quote

Hey hey, thanks for the input and the reference to known powders. At $12/lb I figured it might be worth picking up for targets but needed some idea of what I'm getting myself into.

thanks a bunch, Mike

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

I have some reloading brochures from Winchester that list loads for several gauges for 452AA & 473AA. If you want I can copy the loads and e-mail them to you.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

I checked the older Winchester brochures: With the 452 & 473 powder it's just a couple loads that they keep reprinting. They show the same date for the R16 and the SP16 (vel & psi) WW CF hull, W209, 17.5 gr 452AA, 1 oz, 1165 fps. ;*** WW CF, W209, 20.5 gr 473AA 1 oz, 1165 @8300; **** WWCF, W209, 21.5 gr 473AA, 1 oz, 1220 fps @ 8800. Appears Winchester didn't test the older 452 & 473 powders with the then new WAA16 wad, since all the data shows the newer 540, 571 and WSF powders.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:36 am  Reply with quote

Thanks AM, appreciate the info. From what I can tell there is enough info available that will help come up with a load that will work for targets. I'll grab the powder do some gonkulating for Ched style hulls and send to Tom for testing.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Putzie - my Lyman #2 has some side by side loads also . These are mostly 12ga but a couple 16's also . Holler if you can't get one and I'll send off the loads .