16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington No.209 primers
Oldminer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:14 am  Reply with quote

I started reloading shotgun shells about 50 years ago, 12 and 20 gauge. I have shot 16 gauge guns off and on for over 50 years but have just started to reload 16 gauge after purchasing three 16 gauge guns over the past few years.
I have a thousand primers from many years ago marked Remington No.209 Primer in green and orange boxes. I must have bought them to reload 12 and 20 back in the day. I see load data listed on this site and the spreadsheets from the Low Pressure Group calling for Remington 209P and R209. Are my old primers what is referred to as R209.
I am specifically interested in load data from Mike Campbell posted August 13, 2010 for RGL hull, DR16 wad, 15.5 grains green dot with R209 primer. Do I have the correct primer?
Oldminer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:50 am  Reply with quote

Wow, 24 views and no replies. How about this way;
Are Remington No. 209 Primers in green and orange box referred to as R209 primers in credible reloading data?
jsorvik
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:13 am  Reply with quote

From DL Marcum on the Shotgunworld reloading forum. . . I am just quoting as I don't know the answer myself:

"The Rem 209P and the 209 STS are the same primer, biggest change is in the box they come in.

The plain 209, (long since discontinued), was a much hotter primer than the current primers, and must be loaded differently. The good thing is that these older primers are now mostly gone, used up, and don't present a problem for most of the reloaders today."
Oldminer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I am assuming now that these are the older 209 primers. I see load data listed for R209, 209P and 209 STS so I am still confused.
jsorvik
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

The 209P and 209 STS are interchangeable. When they just say R209, I am not so sure. I am guessing those are the older, hotter primers, but that could be wrong . . . Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldminer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you Mike. Would you agree that the old box of primers I have are likely the older Remington 209 primer that are no longer made?
I will likely make a substitution with a Win 209 or Fed 209A.
Woody402
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I would call Remington. They should know.
Oldminer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies. I will contact Remington about the primers. I would like to use them in reloads with sound data. I will always consider your disclaimers before asking more questions.
I really appreciate this site and the members that contribute their knowledge, free of charge and I do understand the concern you all have with sharing load data and information. The 16 GA Society and all the members that share the knowledge is why I am shooting 16 gauge shotguns again.
Thanks again.
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:41 am  Reply with quote

I would consider them the "hot" R-P primer and use them. I would use them in the old data. That way, if they are equivalent to the 209P/STS, you'll have a little less velocity and pressure.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Oldminer"]"...I see load data listed on this site and the spreadsheets from the Low Pressure Group calling for Remington 209P and R209. Are my old primers what is referred to as R209. I am specifically interested in load data from Mike Campbell posted August 13, 2010 for RGL hull, DR16 wad, 15.5 grains green dot with R209 primer. Do I have the correct primer?"

Please be advised. I have a few 1000 count bricks of Remington 209P primers still packed in their original orange and green tagboard cartons and sleeves. They are clearly marked 209P on the sides of the cartons and sleeves. They were first offered by Dupont in the early 1990's for use in the then new Premier target hulls. Best not go by the sleeve colors to identify your primers. Best go by the designation printed on the sides of the sleeves.

To the best of my memory, the Remington R209 primers you refer to were manufactured in the 1980's and were the first 209 size primers offered by Dupont as a reloading component after the smaller diameter 57 size primers were discontinued. They are a bit hotter than the present 209 STS primers but are not considered to be a magnum strength primer. They are probably similar to older WW209 primers in strength but not an exact match.

15.5 grains of Green Dot is a fairly mild powder charge for 3/4 and 7/8 once loads in an RGL hull w/ the DR16 wad. I think Mike Campbell uses a Federal 209A primer in his loads which is a very robust one. I think it is safe to assume the old R209 primers will work just fine here and for any mild to moderate pressure recreational and practice load.

I'd be more concerned about the condition of these old primers. They should be okay as long as they have been continually stored in a cool dry area. I have used well stored primers which have been over 30 years old w/o any problems. But exposure to moisture and heat ruin primers. If so, then expect failures to fire and squib loads.

I suggest you seat and test fire a 1/2 dozen or more of these old primers in some of your empty RGL hulls to see how well they fit the primer pockets and how reliable they are before you use them to reload a batch of shells. Doing so will kill two birds with one stone. Good luck.