16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  OverShot Card Problems
JPearcy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

I recently reloaded some Cheddite (Herters) hulls and some Win polly-formed hulls. Both crimped down nice with these recipe's:

Win
15/16 oz 7.5 Shot
25 Grns Longshot
Z16 Wad
Win 209 Primer
BPI OverShot Card
1425 FPS
10,650 PSI

Ched
1 oz 7.5 Shot
23 grns Universal
Z16 Wad
Fed 209a Primer
BPI OverShot Card
1300 FPS
10,500 PSI

The problem emerged when I fired them shooting skeet over the 4th. The shot cards were seeming to disintegrate 10-15 yards downrange is a spray of white paper flakes. Furthermore I wasn't hitting with them like the other reloads I was shooting (Rem RGL's). I patterned these loads and 30 yards and they seemed to be ok but I'm left in a quandary. Any advice?
number1wrench
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

Are payload and velocity the same with the Rem?
JPearcy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:54 am  Reply with quote

number1wrench wrote:
Are payload and velocity the same with the Rem?

No. Slightly less. But the RGL's didn't have room for a shot card so I didn't put one in them.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:23 am  Reply with quote

Order some Downrange DR-16's for the Cheddite and Win poly hulls and you can load beautiful skeet loads with no filler or overshot cards needed.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:44 am  Reply with quote

I use the BPI overshot cards often to help produce a good crimp and especially when the hulls are well worn. The confetti from the card does attract attention but the targets break just as hard. Wink

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
sneem
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Nothing unusual in that. Happens when you put the cardboard in front of the shot. It disintegrates and and blows out the front. Its an attention getter for sure. When I load Chedittes I need the extra card space. Instead of putting a 12 ga card over the shot, I just put a 20 ga card in the bottom of the wad. Of course, you can just put in a cheerio if you wish.

jschultz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:18 am  Reply with quote

I must not be observant, because I load OSC's in my brass hulls and have never noticed confetti. Doesn't matter much as the loads pattern beautifully and hit birds hard. Very Happy
old colonel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

I have loaded fibre wads without shot card and had a similar experience, but the birds kept falling so I did not worry about. Consider it a green
load with rapid decomposition

number1wrench
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:47 am  Reply with quote

JPearcy wrote:
I recently reloaded some Cheddite (Herters) hulls and some Win polly-formed hulls. Both crimped down nice with these recipe's:

Win
15/16 oz 7.5 Shot
25 Grns Longshot
Z16 Wad
Win 209 Primer
BPI OverShot Card
1425 FPS
10,650 PSI

Ched
1 oz 7.5 Shot
23 grns Universal
Z16 Wad
Fed 209a Primer
BPI OverShot Card
1300 FPS
10,500 PSI

The problem emerged when I fired them shooting skeet over the 4th. The shot cards were seeming to disintegrate 10-15 yards downrange is a spray of white paper flakes. Furthermore I wasn't hitting with them like the other reloads I was shooting (Rem RGL's). I patterned these loads and 30 yards and they seemed to be ok but I'm left in a quandary. Any advice?
. I read the other responses and I am puzzled. Is the quandary the missed birds or the confetti? If it is missed birds think velocity, wad, choke. Z16 holds a tight pattern even from an open choke. Further comments or clarification would be helpful.
JNW
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:06 am  Reply with quote

I burned up a bag of Z16s by putting a 28 gauge felt wad in the bottom of the shot cup and loading 7/8 oz in them. Fed hull/Win 209 and PB powder running about 1200fps. Broke targets just fine. I really think your load is okay - just some distracting confetti. Shoot some paper if you're worried.
Regards,
Jeff
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:56 am  Reply with quote

It isn't the loads it is how you match up to the loads. Some loads we like, some we don't, and many times loads I think are great my shooting partners don't like and vice versa.

If the RGL loads work for you stick with them.

OSC in my opinion, are useless and a complete waste of perfectly good wads in a fold crimped shell.

How many OSC do you find in factory loads?

If you insist on loads using OSC you will see confetti, it is the nature of the beast.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Mark Says:
Quote:
OSC in my opinion, are useless and a complete waste of perfectly good wads in a fold crimped shell

Agree 100%. If you want to make a better crimp, raise the shot by putting something good under it. First, if you can, use a more suitable wad (longer, no extra filler required), or second best, use a reasonable card, fiber, cork or felt wad inside the shot cup if there is one, but under the shot in any case.

In all my 50+ years of shotshell reloading I never heard of using of overshot cards in star crimped shells until I read some of BPI's manuals. Many things I see in their load formulations seem to be to create a demand for items they sell. I can't recall another load manual that recommends anything, filler or "crimp-improver", over the shot in a star/fold/pie crimped load. The closest I can come to justifying anything over the shot in star crimped loads is a piece of Tyvek to retain buffer. However, even that doesn't do the best job. With buffer it is best to have a tight crimp and seal it with a bit of wax or something of that ilk.