16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  trap load??
laplander0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't figured out how to search on this forum yet...any advice on some good trap loads 16's and handicaps
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

Go here

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/reloading16gauge/

Enroll and wait to be approves

Then review the "FILES"

MANY loads for TRAP

How much shot you wanting to throw at the clay birds?? I have been
using 7/8 ounce from the 16 yard line.

Mike

laplander0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

my mec throws 15/16 of 71/2's rather than 1 oz, I will just stick with that for load amount, I have been playing around with some different loads but nothing has impressed me as being a grinder load. I only shoot from the 22yrd line (for now) on handicap so its not really a big deal it is just I know I need to make a better shell.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:30 am  Reply with quote

I've been using the factory (or reloads that approximate the) RGL #7.5 1oz load with satisfactory results on Trap (all low gun) 16-27y.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

One of the first things trap shooters must figure out is that depending on the whole pattern to score well is a mistake. When it comes to trap loads, a consistent sweet spot in the center of the pattern and consistent load velocity are more important than all other considerations. Once we understand the importance here, then we will be well on our way to better scores.

Any 7/8 ounce load of #8 shot doing about 1150-1200 FPS will break both singles and shorter range H-cap targets very well if it produces consistent velocities and pattern centers with a sweet spot of about 10-12 inches in diameter. Then good practice techniques will help you learn to keep that sweet spot right on target for both 16 yard or 22 yard targets.

Change the load velocity and the pattern center will shift. Then it's a whole new game to relearn timing and swing to hit them all well.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Rather than thinking of center density sweet spots, a good Trap load, especially one geared towards the back fence, should first consider the 5" annular ring of the pattern and the distribution of pellets within it.
The center 20" will most always prove...enough, be it a 12 or a 16 gauge.
How high the pattern prints versus one's manner of shooting is also involved.
The shell itself is the smallest part of success.

Enjoy the game...it is an old one with a proud history of shooter inclusion.

Not too much into buying guns any longer but a 28" 16 gauge Model 97 Deluxe Trap might be one of the few to change that thinking and drag me back to Puuuuulll.
laplander0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:18 am  Reply with quote

your right about the 97 trap in a 16ga...currently I am shooting a Remington model 31 that I personally fitted a montecarlo stock onto...It started out away to tall and I would sit on the tail gate of my pickup and file down the comb...shoot on the pattern board...file down the comb, shoot on the pattern board and repeat until it is really pretty close. I do know a gentleman who has a 16ga model 31 with a solid rib @ 32"....if I could find only 1 more of those...I have looked several times even at the Tulsa gun show and haven't seen another one but I bet there is one somewhere.
laplander0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:22 am  Reply with quote

You are right (16guageguy)I never considered changing the load would change poi...I am always shooting different shells...I got to quit that. I put my gun on a pattern board, adjusted comb to correct poi and then change the load...great tip, thank you
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

tramroad28 wrote:
...The center 20" will most always prove...enough, be it a 12 or a 16 gauge. How high the pattern prints versus one's manner of shooting is also involved.

Exactly my point. Consider the 24 gram/7/8 ounce loads now manditory for all International trap. This rule change was enacted in an attempt to lower average scores and eliminate the seemingly endless shoot offs to determine the winners. Scores went up instead.

Anyone who has shot international trap or has witnessed it being shot understands that the targets are thrown at higher velocities and are typically broken at longer ranges than most american trap targets. So we might ask why these lighter loads have proven to be more effective.

7/8 ounce shot loads tend to produce patterns with rather weak annular rings, but the pattern centers tend to hold together longer as they travel down range. The reason is because less pellets in the center of the shot swarm tend to interact less (if we don't select more choke than we need--again, less is more here). More of the pellets in the center core remain in more parallel trajectories as the swarm travels down range. The end results are pattern cores which spread less rapidly and smash both singles and H-cap targets very well.

The key to using these lighter weight loads is to set the trap gun up to put the center of our patterns dead on the money at the ranges we expect to hit the targets and forget about the pattern fringes. Then it is a matter of practicing enough to be able to shoot consistantly accurate.

One more point here. These lighter weight shot loads produce considerably less recoil than 1-1/8 ounce loads. We can practice more and become fatigued less. The end result is better shooting.