16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Anyone try this 1 1/8 oz. load?
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Good info all! Thank you!

I do have Unique on hand, Mark. A hotter primer might push that one over the edge.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

I think that load has enough pressure that it would work just fine in cold weather just the way it is .
John
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, this load gets about 1300 FPS if I remember correctly. There are some loads using the same components in the spreadsheets but with more powder. I did not have much luck with those as the patterns seemed spotty. I had to back off to 24 gr. to get the denser cores I was looking for. As I said, this load is a great squirrel load as those old fox squirrels can take some killing.

Good luck, John.
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
I think that load has enough pressure that it would work just fine in cold weather just the way it is .

Good point!
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

John wrote:
Dave, this load gets about 1300 FPS if I remember correctly. There are some loads using the same components in the spreadsheets but with more powder. I did not have much luck with those as the patterns seemed spotty. I had to back off to 24 gr. to get the denser cores I was looking for. As I said, this load is a great squirrel load as those old fox squirrels can take some killing.

Good luck, John.

That load would hammer a rooster! Backing of the velocity usually does good things for patterns if you want denser.

Just today I patterned my final product of a 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz. load of hard 6's @ 1200 fps in an iC barrel, and here's what i got at 40 yards.

The first one was high, so I didn't count pellets, but I noticed some core.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmUOzmuoj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pm6gTLMwj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pok4388xj] [/URL]

Mission accomplished!
Black Belt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

SWEET! Those are some lethal looking patterns at 40yds with an IC constriction! Very impressive!

PS: this board allows editing one's posts. I hate autocorrect!
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Jason! I just wanted to try to squeeze out 40 yards with this open-choked shotgun. The old principles of hard shot at a moderate velocity are at work here.
4setters
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

I've bought some Longshot, but haven't tried it yet. Probably because I've been so pleased with my current pheasant load for the last 40 or so years, that I'm reluctant to change. Essentially, the load is the old Winchester Mark V Hi-Velocity load that was on the market from the mid-60s till the late 90s. Since I hunt quite a bit where either quail or pheasants may get up in front of the dogs, I load some in 7.5s and others in #5s, with the first in my open barrel and the second in the tight barrel. Pheasants are dead meat at reasonable distances with this load. Period.

I started loading this in the mid-70s when Win 540 was on the market, and now load it in its equivalent HS-6:

Win CF; 1 1/8; HS-6; 27.5; Win 209 or Fed 209A (100 PSI difference); SP-16; 1240; 9300 or 9400 PSI.

Or you can drop the Powder load 1 grain to 26.5 and the velocity will be 1185 with 8500 or 8600 psi, more in line with the load you mentioned above.

The Yahoo group data set shows the above loads and a similar load in the Remington plastic hull:

Rem (SP I assume); 1 1/8; HS-6; 25.0; CCI209; SP-16; 1238; 10,200. I don't ever remember loading this load in Remington hulls, so no experience there.

The only complaint I have with this load is it leaves a dirty barrel (the old Winchester Ball Powder curse). However, the pheasants don't mind one bit.

I appreciate you guys that put together various loads, test them for vel/press, etc. but my main shooting is while hunting, so I just don't go through enough shells in a year to get fancy with reloads. Keep up the good work!

Very Happy Very Happy

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:11 am  Reply with quote

4setters, that's a dandy load, thanks! I put more stock in these "word of mouth" loads that have performed over time. I know a fellow with a stash of compression-formed Win's and i'm betting if i ask nicely he might sell me a couple hundred. Dirty barrels never bothered me. For years and years I shot Herco in a 20 gauge and that left some dirty barrels!

I have more than enough good factory hunting ammo on hand and enough that I doubt I'd ever need to buy another shell, but I just enjoy using a well conceived handload.

I can't say enough about this forum and the good natured collaboration we have here!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:36 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Remington hull
Hodgdon-Longshot 19.3 gr.
CCI 209M
Rem. SP16
1185 fps
9,200 PSI

My goal is to launch a load of 5's at rapidly departing roosters in my tight 2nd barrels on a couple of my two-barreled 16's.

Hi Dave. In my experience, 16 ga 1-1/8 ounce loads of #5 shot doing 1200-1300 FPS work very well on bigger birds like pheasant out to 40 yards. This seems to be especially true when I am shooting at the south end of a north bound bird where a head/neck shot is not an option.

Here's a tip regarding choke selection. I have found that heavier loads of bigger pellets tend to need less choke than equal shot loads of smaller pellets. It seems that the bigger, but fewer pellets in the shot swarm tend to interact less, so patterns don't seem to spread as quickly as the swarm travels down range.

Of course, each gun (and in fact, each barrel) is a law unto itself. Some time at the pattern board is time well spent IMO. Hope my input helps you out here. Good luck.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, 16GG. I used to shoot the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 5's out of my Merkel 1620 and they hammered at both ends! Just senselessly brutal recoil in such a light gun, but they were effective. Now I think differently and a 1200 fps push with 5's is great plenty. So what constriction do you like for your tight barrel and 5's?
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:44 am  Reply with quote

I've used 29 grains of Longshot in a Fiocchi hill 1 1/8 shot with a Win209 and Z16 wad for 1260 FPS.

Also Rem SP hull, W209 with 1 1/8 21.5 grains of Blue dot for an average of 1255 Rem SP 16 wad, was my go to small game & winter pigeon load in my Sweet 16 Auto 5 for years. Used to shoot ducks with it too when lead was legal. Still have a bunch loaded. I've been shooting lighter loads of late since I'm older and am more sensitive to recoil I imagine either would be fine for roosters.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:44 am  Reply with quote

I've used 29 grains of Longshot in a Fiocchi hill 1 1/8 shot with a Win209 and Z16 wad for 1260 FPS.

Also Rem SP hull, W209 with 1 1/8 21.5 grains of Blue dot for an average of 1255 Rem SP 16 wad, was my go to small game & winter pigeon load in my Sweet 16 Auto 5 for years. Used to shoot ducks with it too when lead was legal. Still have a bunch loaded. I've been shooting lighter loads of late since I'm older and am more sensitive to recoil I imagine either would be fine for roosters.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
...So what constriction do you like for your tight barrel and 5's?

Hi Dave,
In my Citori w/ it's .669-.670" diameter bores, I've found that 25 points of choke does very well for 1-1/8 ounce loads of #5 shot, and 21-22 points does well for 1-1/4 ounce loads of #4 shot. I had a couple of my surplus Invector full tubes bored out to suit. The original 16 ga Invector full tubes have about 40 points of choke which is actually way too much for any 16 ga barrel I've ever shot.

Please don't ask me why Browning did this. I've never gotten a satisfactory answer, so I think it was simply a plain old manufacturing screw up. I've heard that the new 16 ga Invector full tubes are a lot more open. If so, then the problem is solved.

I would recommend slightly less choke than 25 points for heavy loads of #5 shot in any 16 ga barrel with a bore diameter of .662" or less. I'm guessing that 22-23 points would be ideal. But each gun is a law unto itself, so it might be wise to go a little more tight than this and have the choke opened a few points at a time until pattern testing shows the right results.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts, 16GG. My recently acquired Merkel 200E has a .026 upper barrel and I haven't measured the bore diameter yet. It's pretty light and I might hold it to an ounce of hard 6's and see how the patterns look at 40 yards. I've got a .023 thinwall tube for my Silver Hawk, and that gun weighs a bit more than the 200E, so it might be the candidate for the 1 1/8 oz. 5's. More pattern work on the horizon...