16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Favorite 1 oz. hunting loads
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

1) Thanks for the info, Jack
2) Sorry for the slight Hi-Jack of the thread, Dave et al.

To get back on track, my 1 oz. hunting loads (both loaded with #7's) are:

a) RGL trimmed to 2 9/16", Fiocchi 616, 28 grains 4756, Z-16 Field Commander Wad (BPI designation), Hartin Crimp. Supposedly 1240 fps and 8500 psi, but not tested.

b) Same as a) except Hartin crimp closed over the yellow 16 ga. Polywad Spred-R device.

Oddly enough, even to me, these are my only 1 ounce loads other than one ounce target loads in RGL's! Though these seem to work fine (in short chambered Model 12's and Auto 5's) I could learn a few things, I guess. So thanks to you other fellows for your load info. One ounce sounds perfect to me for the 16 at upland birds, but I seem to have loaded more 7/8 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce loads for hunting. Still using up my Gamebore 1 ounce factory loads, which I don't really like.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke, just curious, what is it that you don't like about the 1 oz Gamebore loads? I've patterned the 12 gauge 1 oz. Pure Gold version and they throw really nice patterns, but I haven't used them in the field.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:14 am  Reply with quote

B4 I found this forum , my go to was a copy of that Unique load already posted . 19grns Unique , an SP wad and chedd primer and 1oz in a 25/8 fed case . Now we've got a million loads and I'm always chasing them , but wouldn't hesitate to go back to that load .

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:31 am  Reply with quote

Dave,
First, I do generally like Gamebore brand ammo. The load I mentioned above is the 65mm Gamebore Traditional Game load. I've neither patterned nor chronographed it, so my impression could be just pure unscientific prejudice because I have never shot well with this particular load. That is probably due to the shooter (me) and a gun-fit issue. This load has conventional wadding. Nothing wrong with that, but I seem to get more than the usual amount of chaff out the barrel. The performance problem is probably somewhere between my ears. I should really pattern and chronongraph this load before any opinion I may proffer should be taken with any degree of credibility.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:32 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
B4 I found this forum , my go to was a copy of that Unique load already posted . 19grns Unique , an SP wad and chedd primer and 1oz in a 25/8 fed case . Now we've got a million loads and I'm always chasing them , but wouldn't hesitate to go back to that load .

I'm going to load that load today and, and also Dogchaser's and see how my 200E likes them at the pattern board tomorrow.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:41 am  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
Dave,
First, I do generally like Gamebore brand ammo. The load I mentioned above is the 65mm Gamebore Traditional Game load. I've neither patterned nor chronographed it, so my impression could be just pure unscientific prejudice because I have never shot well with this particular load. That is probably due to the shooter (me) and a gun-fit issue. This load has conventional wadding. Nothing wrong with that, but I seem to get more than the usual amount of chaff out the barrel. The performance problem is probably somewhere between my ears. I should really pattern and chronongraph this load before any opinion I may proffer should be taken with any degree of credibility.

The 12 gauge 1 oz. Gamebore Pure Gold load really breaks the fiber-wad rules based on some recent patterning. I've been working with these two older Merkel 200E's and in the case of the 12 I wanted a light load that would fill the Cyl-choked lower barrel and I found can't reload anything tighter-patterning than these Pure Gold 6's. I tried them in the upper IC barrel and they are literally too tight and would shred birds within 30 yards. They are Brit 6's, so they are about 6 2/3 in American shot terms. I ended up loading a moderate velocity (1200 fps) 1 1/8 oz. Green Dot load of American 6's for the top IC barrel.

I'm not going to mess with the 16 gauge Gamebores only because this 16 ga. 200E has some choke, and the fellow I bought it from cautioned me not to use 7's because they "shredded the birds" when he used them. He's an astute shotgunner and experience hunter, so I believe him. Smile
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:58 am  Reply with quote

I loaded up a couple 16 gauge 1 oz recipes to test out tomorrow. The goal is to tailor a couple loads for a specific OU choked LM & Full

The first load is:

RGL hull
SP-16 wad
19 grs. Unique
W209 primer
1 oz. Nickel 6"s

I loaded the first very round with an R16 wad thinking it should be an ideal fit, but the stack height is just a bit to much. It crimped and I'll run it through the Chrony, but the SP-16 was a perfect fit. I'm just curious to see if the velocities are roughly the same, but no doubt the SP-16 is the way to go here.

2nd load:

Fed Hull
B&P wad
20 grs. Universal Clays
Fed 209A primer
1 oz. Nickel 5's

(I dropped Dogchaser's powder half a grain.)

Hoping for enough density in the full choke barrel for this 2nd load to work at 40 yards.

We shall see!
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Dave , I am interested to see what that Rem Unique load does . My Guess is 1260- 1280
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, I'm curious about that one, too. 1250 fps is great plenty, so I might be tweaking it.

I've been having this little country range all to myself, so I hope it holds tomorrow morning because I have other things to check out!

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pltlChbWj] [/URL]
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Good luck with your 71 Smile
Here I was trying to see if I could make an 86 into a 28 gauge gun Rolling Eyes
The 87 is a 12 gauge

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Skeetx now that's something! Must be a Texas thing! Smile

I'm working up a load with a 200 gr. Hornady FTX bullet and Varget. There's no great data out there for the combo, so I'm going with the 200 flat point starting data and working up. The 200 gr. flat point has never let me down, but as an endless tinkerer I just have to try the FTX!
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

WOW, pointed bullets in lever guns ----- who would have thought????
http://www.hornady.com/store/348-CAL-.348-200-GR-FTX

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, from what I've read they are not head and shoulders better than the 200 gr. flat points in a .348. Pretty similar drop, but a little flatter. That said, with a top of the back hold you can squeeze out 300 yards on a deer. I've ditched scoped rifles for the foreseeable future, so I'll take a little edge if I can get it. I had my Amish gunsmith remove my doevtailed sight (easily reversible) and put on a tiny Fire Sight, and he fashioned a cutaway hood from an extra hood I picked up. Hard to see those brass front sights in the early morning.

Talk about thread drift! Embarassed
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

So anyway, back to the topic, sort of...I'll report how these 1 oz. 16 gauge loads do with the understanding that my sample size is woefully inadequate.
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Now let me ask an interesting question
The Cabela's Herters 16 gauge one ounce ammo in #6 shot
About as cheap as reloading, $5.99 a box
Hits hard, kills birds
Why not them??

http://www.cabelas.com/product/herter-s-reg-select-field-dove-and-quail-shotshells/1601971.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dherters%252Bshotshells%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=herters+shotshells