16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Brass hulls...fired hulls...dos and donts
Dave Sheehan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

im still in the getting rolling phase of this Shot gun thing but have ordered Magtech shells and may load some black powder for fun but think that smokeless will be as much fun and it seems a few guys here load smokeless in the brass shells..ill have more questions for you!!
My biggest question is this...can i load once fired plastic hulls like loading brass hulls???...by that i mean can i load them with an over shot card glued in??...I have a bundle in reloading stuff now and dont want to add to it with a Shot shell reloader...and dont mind loading them the slow old way...has anyone done this?
thanks in advance

jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I suggest that you obtain a copy of Lyman's 5th addition of Shotshell Reloading.
Once fired plastic hulls are not generally sealed with OSC's, instead and using a press, a crimp is applied to the hull mouth.
I started reloading over 55 years ago using a Lee loader and still use the same set of tools when I load my RMC hunting loads.
Sorry, I have no experience loading Magtech hulls.
good Luck,
Jim
Dave Sheehan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
I suggest that you obtain a copy of Lyman's 5th addition of Shotshell Reloading.
Once fired plastic hulls are not generally sealed with OSC's, instead and using a press, a crimp is applied to the hull mouth.
good Luck,
Jim
Thanks Jim...just trying to see what i can cant do...just figured if it works on the brass it would work on the plastic ...like i said i dont want to add to my loading stuff...i have a Dillon 650XL that cost a pretty penny to feed!

old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Magtech brass are challenging in that their internal dimensions are meant for fibre wads and the data for them is black powder tyoe loads.

There are a few who have developed some smokeless data for fibre wads, and even some plastic hull smokeless loads, but they are to the best of my knowledge all down at home without the benefit of commercial verification

That does not mean you can't use their data, I have tested some loads, but it is not without risk.

The better course is to do plastic hulls and use tested data, as you gain experience and determine what works best for you then play with magtechs.

old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Further yes you can do plastic hulls with a roll crimper on a drill to seal them.

I use a cheap drill press from harbor freight, but you can use a hand drill to do the job

Dave Sheehan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:18 am  Reply with quote

old colonel wrote:
Magtech brass are challenging in that their internal dimensions are meant for fibre wads and the data for them is black powder tyoe loads.

There are a few who have developed some smokeless data for fibre wads, and even some plastic hull smokeless loads, but they are to the best of my knowledge all down at home without the benefit of commercial verification

That does not mean you can't use their data, I have tested some loads, but it is not without risk.

The better course is to do plastic hulls and use tested data, as you gain experience and determine what works best for you then play with magtechs.
Thank you for the info..I think i confused the issue some..let me try again...Using modern components in plastic hulls can i glue the over shot card in?...am i right to assume that the life of the hulls would be extended?...The brass stuff ill play with as time goes by and if i need to make tools to do all this all the better...but with the price of ammo and the fact i love to do stuff on my own and will only be killing paper...pumpkins and the odd clay here and there im not worried about making a zillion rounds in one sitting
and if i can't glue em ill have to crimp em i guess!!

Dave Sheehan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:24 am  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
I started reloading over 55 years ago using a Lee loader and still use the same set of tools when I load my RMC hunting loads.
good Luck,
Jim

Lyman #5 on its way!

byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:30 am  Reply with quote

Look Here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Load-All-II-/172289155189?hash=item281d3be075:g:9eQAAOSwtnpXnMPH

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
jschultz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:56 am  Reply with quote

Dave if you use the search function and search for MAGTEC SMOKELESS RELOADING, you will find some useful info.
Jim
goathoof
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:37 am  Reply with quote

As the Colonel stated, I would suggest working with the plastic hulls first and gain a level of expertise before working with the magtechs and smokeless powders. I do have at least six different loads in the magtechs with smokeless and payloads from 5/8 oz to 1 1/8 oz. Only one has been pressure tested. The others are based on assumptions of comparing tested plastic loads and placing them in a larger volume magtech hull. I have tried unwaxed wads and waxed wads. I lose velocity with the unwaxed due to poorer gas sealing. So I use only waxed fiber wads. I also use the reloading dies to size the brass, and also place a crimp on the mouth to retain the overshot card. I do not use glue for the overshot card. I believe Byrdog has used 12 ga plastic wads in the magtechs which I have tried but I have not been able to get decent results with that method. Byrdog may be able to offer more advice for you also.
Carlos
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:53 am  Reply with quote

I am back from holidays, and back on 16ga.com.

To answer the OP, yes you can use plastic hulls of almost any convenient length with an over shot card glued in. I have done it. Mostly with RXPs and Nitro 28s as they don't roll crimp

I still prefer the Hartin crimp over roll crimping as long as the crimp section of the hull remains unsplit. search this forum for the details. Roll crimping depends on just the right thickness and pliability of plastic for success.