Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Does anybody make one?
JNW
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:34 am  Reply with quote

remington
Roadkill
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

The Remington is a bit thinner at the mouth than the base so you could say it is "tapered" but it is still a Reifenhauser hull with a separate basewad. No tapered base.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:24 am  Reply with quote

OK . So you are talking interior taper. WW compression formed 16ga hulls were manufactured. Why do you ask?

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

I was curious about wads.Apparently all 16 ga. wads are designed for straight walls and the only difference is stack height. Correct?
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

No, OH Wirehair, some have smaller diameter over-powder cups that make them unsuitable for thin-walled hulls. Though the RGL is the Reiffenhauser design, its walls are considerably thicker. Those wads that would be generally unsuitable for the thin-walled hulls are the Remington R16 and SP16, and the old original Winchester AA16. You may have trouble squeezing European-made wads made specifically for Cheddite, Fiocchi, and other thin-walled Rieffenhauser hulls, into RGL's for instance. Some folks have great results with Gualandi 20 gauge wads in those thick-walled RGL's. Those aforementioned Remington and Winchester wads work best with very coarse-grained powders, if used in thin-walled hulls. Otherwise, powder migration problems arise. If you are loading RGL's, use Remington wads, or the current Claybuster WAA16 clones, or the DR16. For the thin-walled hulls as mentioned above, including the current Winchester X-perts and Herter's (both are Cheddites, really), use the European wads -- Gualandi, B&P, Cheddite, etc. Get them from Precision Reloading, Inc. Ballistic Products, Inc. or Grafs, Gamaliel, etc.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Good information,what do you think of Federals? I'm currently using DR16's but will switch to ClayBusters when their gone do to cost.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:57 am  Reply with quote

IMO Federals are one the better hulls available to the 16ga loader . The Claybuster wad is not a good fit unless you are using a large flake powders to control migration . The 7/8oz wad needs filler to load 7/8oz of shot in the straight wad hulls .
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:19 am  Reply with quote

I'm currently loading 17.4 grains of Green Dot behind 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot with a DR16 wad. Switching to ClayBuster because I can buy them for half of DR's price. I don't mind the time it takes to add filler. And I really like the Federals,much better then Remington's. You have no concern with the paper base wad? I ran a test of 6 loadings to the same 25 shells with no adverse effects to the base wad and the crimps still look excellent. Besides, theres just something about a old gun and Purple shells made in the USA. Smile
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:12 am  Reply with quote

If you dont mind using a filler wad the Cheddite wad is a good fit in Fed hulls.

www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/2495

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, OH Wirehair, the Claybuster (CB)clones of the WAA16 should work pretty well in the thin-walled hulls. I think CB realized the justification for cloning the WAA16 could not rely on W-W compression formed hulls, because those hulls are not so plentiful anymore, so they increased the size of the over-powder seal on their clones to make it useful in the hulls typically available today -- Euro-hulls and Federals. CB's clones are not dead-ringers, dimensionally, for the original WAA16. Note in my earlier post I said "the old original Winchester AA16" when talking about thick-walled hulls, and then later mentioned the CB clones for thick-walls because original WAA16 wads are pretty hard to come by.

I have some CB 16's and the over-powder seal design is probably not as good as the Euro wads with their anti-migration rings, and maybe not quite as big a seal as the DR-16 has, but I doubt you'd have powder migration problems with it in Euro hulls if you had good, tight-fitting loads with solid crimps, and powders that aren't super-fine. Hell, you're probably going to wind up using Unique, Green-Dot, Blue-Dot or the like anyway -- even Universal, International, or PB are fairly big-flake powders. Longshot? -- better use a tight fitting wad.

The DR-16, by the way, has what appears to be an anti-powder-migration ring. It often seems a little incomplete, like the mold doesn't quite fill for that small feature, and it's ring isn't nearly as pronounced as on the Euro wads, but the DR-16 seems to do OK migration-wise because its powder seal is of sufficient diameter, even though it seems a little thick-edged to be very flexible on compression when loading -- and compression on loading is a bit of a problem because the DR-16's recoil section is long and flimsy -- it works, for people though, and many like it, but I digress. Of course some Euro wads do not have the anti-migration rings, and use the 'brute-force" solution to powder migration -- big diameter. The beauty of the CB 16 clones is that they have a flexible enough over-powder seal to expand and seal against thin-walled hulls if seated with force, yet still be usable in the thick-walled RGL's and taper-walled compression-formed W-W's. I like the Claybuster wads.

Of course, with care, you can actually make anything work, wad-and-hull-wise. Many folks here have posted simple solutions they use -- heating and expanding powder seals, auxiliary spacers, wads and sheets of plastic, etc, etc. I like to start with components that have the best chance of working without fiddling, but I will fiddle. To each his own -- the beauty of hand-loading.

Cheers!
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

One more thing . . . My post might have led some to believe folks should stay up at night worrying about powder migration. I think powder migration is over-emphasized, and seldom a problem. Having said that, I think it is obvious that certain combinations of hull, wad and powder should be avoided. I just hate holding shells up to the light and seeing a bunch of powder in the recoil section of the wad. Maybe I shouldn't look Laughing
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

I believe powder migration is minor to unimportant in target loads made and fired with little carry time.

For uplAnd loads long carried and bounced around it should be a consideration

fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:50 am  Reply with quote

"old colonel" I believe powder migration is minor to unimportant in target loads made and fired with little carry time.

With Flake powders yes with ball and fine grain powders , migration call happen by just transporting them to the range .
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:40 am  Reply with quote

I have a replay of a hard earned wild rooster pheasant from a marginal biome and a ruffed grouse ETCHED in my mine from bloopers caused by poor wad/hull compatability way back when I started reloading 16 gauge. More like reoccurring nightmares! Max Smoke is right, pick the best fitting wads for the hull.