16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 Ga. tapered hull
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Sometimes we use wad hull combos which are not ideal but still work well. It's more a matter of press adjustment to get the right wad seating pressure and excellent crimps.

One of the best published late season 16 ga heavy loads I've ever used is the 1-1/4 ounce load using the polyformed straight wall Federal hull and the Remington SP16 wad over 30 grains of Blue Dot (a medium size disc powder). This load has been continually published and/or reprinted for over 40 years. It's a good one, but wad seating pressure and the finished crimp must be perfect. If so, then these loads can be carried for several seasons w/o any powder migration or blooper problems. If not, bloopers are almost a certainty.

I've also seen data calling for ball powders, Remington R16 and SP16 wads, and some of the roomier polyformed hulls like Federals and Cheddite types. I'm not a fan here. In my own experience, ball powders tend to migrate badly if the wad doesn't tightly seal the powder in. Still, some folks swear by them. I won't argue with their success.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Like earlier stated, Longshot requires a pretty snug fitting wad and hull combo. I will sometimes hike for most of the day with shells in my pants pockets. Then put the same ones that didn't get fired in the pockets again. I have had problems. With 800-X I have had zero problems.