16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Old shells
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Bought some Federal hulls from a fella on here a while back. In the batch (all in good shape as advertised) there were a few Wards,Sears ,and some Duck and Pheasant. Hows that for old. When did Sears and Wards quit selling shells?
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Old shells ya say … vintage 1960 Winchester Rangers. Surprised
RZ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:59 am  Reply with quote

I have 1000 of those Winchester Rangers and also paper Remington's. What would be a good low pressure recipe for them? I was saving them for a black powder load, but I don't have a Damascus 16, so I haven't used them yet.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:12 am  Reply with quote

RZ
What primer and wad will you use?
How much shot do you want to use?
Thanks
Mike

RZ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:36 am  Reply with quote

I have Cheddite 209, federal 209A, and Winchester primers on the bench, and SG 16 wads, and SR7625, Solo 1250, 800X, and Red Dot powders, 7/8 oz
SCGunNut
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
When did Sears and Wards quit selling shells?

Sears sold their own branded shotgun shells (clearly Winchester) here until at least the early '80s. Just a few years ago, I shot the last of the Sears 20ga Dove & Quail loads that I vividly remember buying with my Dad. They were on sale for less than $3 a box and we bought a case of them. I soon grew out of my Stevens 20ga single barrel and didn't get another 20ga bird gun until many years later, so those shells lasted me a long time...
wellshooter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

I had some WW 12 gauge 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz #6's that I just flat decided I wasn't going to shoot when I was a teenager. They sat in an old ammo can and got moved and stored in hot and cold for 40 years. My son came along looking for some ammo and I gave them to him. He shot them all at clays one afternoon and had a bruised shoulder for 2 weeks. He wasn't about to tell old Pop that they hurt. LOL

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

wellshooter wrote:
I had some WW 12 gauge 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz #6's that I just flat decided I wasn't going to shoot when I was a teenager. They sat in an old ammo can and got moved and stored in hot and cold for 40 years. My son came along looking for some ammo and I gave them to him. He shot them all at clays one afternoon and had a bruised shoulder for 2 weeks. He wasn't about to tell old Pop that they hurt. LOL

Geez!! Some of the things we do to our kids!! I remember Rodney Dangerfield saying how his parents would send him on an errand and then move. Talk about no respect!! Laughing

I guess I'm just lucky my dad wasn't into shooting (he'd seen his share of it in WWII and was no longer interested in anything that went bang). But if he had been, he'd have probably broken me in on a Garand. He didn't believe in gentle measures either. Laughing

I've regularly used 1-1/4 ounce heavy loads for late season hunting, but I've shot maybe four of five of them and no more over the course of the day. I've also been wearing heavier and more padded winter hunting gear at the time too. No bruised shoulders for me. Very Happy

Unless the shot is sort of dribbling out of the muzzle, a steady diet of 1-1/4 ounce loads out of a light or even medium weight 16 at a target range will bruise up anyone's shoulder. Laughing None for me, thanks. Momma raised no fools (and I didn't take up shotgunning until I was old enough not to be one). Very Happy
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:50 am  Reply with quote

as a kid , we had plenty of room for Backyard clays . Mom had a 20ga 37 Win with a homemade , really lightweight stock set . Dad would step her up to the line and hand her a mini mag . One boom and done !!! knew she wouldn't want to be out yakking while he was hunting !! they were OLD shells , but served their purpose well !

Benjo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:13 am  Reply with quote

I have used alot of Sears shells through the years. In 50's and 60's Ted Williams had a major sponsorship deal with Sears. They had a full line of sporting goods with his name on it. Not only baseball, but a full line of hunting gear including guns,ammo and clothing.

I still have some paper and plastic in 20 and 16ga. in my collection.

Like the Sears "Ted Williams" purple shell on the right in this picture.

Benjo