16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Tense Situation
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

Today I was driving with the Mrs. down a local 2 lane rural road and there was a small traffic backup. As we drove past there were 2 police cars behind a vehicle with the lead officer facing a man standing by the vehicle. The support officer had his AR out. We hastened away. Kind of took a little joy out of a Sunday afternoon drive. LE has to be a difficult job, we don't appreciate what they have to deal with.
JT
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Amen
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

Most of their time is spent dealing with the lowest forms of humans--
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

According to a few LEOs I know, the problem is hours of boredom, punctuated by seconds of sheer terror.
It is very difficult to remain in condition yellow with hours or days of complete boredom. Not being in condition yellow makes the jump to condition red all that much tougher.
I couldn't be a cop. I'd kill the first guy I thought deserved it.
I'm at the point where I thank every LEO I cross paths with, and wish a safe shift for them.

Best,
Ted

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

Well I had a tense situation Sunday evening. It involved a rattlesnake. I did think it deserved to be shot...and it thusly received said treatment.
The crazy part is that two doves flushed out of range for seemingly no reason when I was still hidden from their little eyes. I guess that they were ready to head to the roost. This was fortunate. Had I shot one it would have likely fallen almost on the snake and my dog or I would have possibly been bitten.
God sure does protect us in ways that we seldom think of. Two minutes earlier I was disappointed with the dove's departure. My how my perspective changed.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:00 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:

the police officer's that I have known that quit the profession did so for just that reason. All they ever saw were the low-lifes, cheats, thieves, liars and murderers. It got to where that was their entire world and that behavior was what was expected from everyone. so rather than take on that point of view they went into another line of work. One fellow that I knew bought a florist shop and surrounded himself with beauty. I feel for those officers that have developed the "them" mindset but feel they have to continue as officers because they have obligations and can't "just quit".
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 I appreciate the fact that you wanted to get out of the area rather than video the event to share online to be seen by some criminal's lawyer! I have been working as a corrections offer for over 20 years and too often people want to get involved in things that are not what they seem to be.
Yes the majority of the time we are on duty things are boring but when something happens it can get real bad very quickly!

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Jakeismydog2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:

I assume you mean Raiders fans?
popplecop
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:04 am  Reply with quote

Spent 30 yrs. in LE, everything from traffic, dope, to wildlife enforcement. 95% of the folks you deal with are law abiding, decent upright folks, if they violate it is because of ignorance. The reaming 5% breaks down to 3& are occasional intentional violators and the remaining 2% are hardcore. Now to qualify my statement this was from my experience from 58 to 88, now have been retired for 28 years and things have changed, but I'm not sure the percentages have changed much. The statement Ted made about hours of boredom which included a lot of paper work by the way, but the seconds excitement are what made the job for me.

3crosses
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Last year on 9/1, a neighbor decided to get drunk and hit his wife. She called 911 and here come the LEOs. 5 cars showed up and all officers had out their arms. Except of course the two who approached the door. Of course the neighbor wouldn't open the door, so the neighborhood was in a difficult situation. No one leaving or returning for the whole afternoon.
I finally approached a LEO and explained the opening of dove season, and could I please leave. And yes there was a shotgun in the vehicle. He chuckled and said he wished he could go with me. Then he let me leave. Since then I have hunted with him twice.