16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herters 16ga PSI ?
wannagohunting
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:39 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone have any knowledge of or know of anyone sending any of the Herters 16 ga 1165 FPS Dove and Quail loads off to be pressure tested ?

Wondering what the PSI is on these loads.

Thank you.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:36 am  Reply with quote

They are right at max , not low pressure .
JNW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:00 am  Reply with quote

You can't just send factory loads in for testing and then trust that the pressures will be the same in future shells. Factories use bulk canister powder mixed to meet their performance specs and if they get a better deal on a powder that works the way they want it to, but at a different but SAAMMI safe pressure, then they may well use it. I assume all factory loads, except for loads sold as low pressure, are over 10,000 psi and possibly higher. They generally use the fastest powder they can so they can load the smallest amount of powder possible. I would too if I ran an ammo company.
Regards,
Jeff
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:58 am  Reply with quote

JNW wrote:
You can't just send factory loads in for testing and then trust that the pressures will be the same in future shells. Factories use bulk canister powder mixed to meet their performance specs and if they get a better deal on a powder that works the way they want it to, but at a different but SAAMMI safe pressure, then they may well use it. I assume all factory loads, except for loads sold as low pressure, are over 10,000 psi and possibly higher. They generally use the fastest powder they can so they can load the smallest amount of powder possible. I would too if I ran an ammo company.
Regards,
Jeff

Exactly !
wellshooter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:35 am  Reply with quote

and the reason they don't advertise or publish the pressure is because it doesn't matter. No ammunition manufacturer I know of publishes pressures, why is that? Mainly because it doesn't mean anything to them.

Now if you are handloading and want to go "all out" then you might want some comparative numbers. Otherwise methinks most protest to much.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
sneem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:41 am  Reply with quote

Lawyers. If you publish data and then some shells are different, you might meet some lawyers. SAAMI isn't even law. Compliance is voluntary. I'm sure Herters' and other commercial ammo meets SAMMI standards but that's alot of room to work in.

wellshooter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:04 am  Reply with quote

sneem wrote:
Lawyers. If you publish data and then some shells are different, you might meet some lawyers. SAAMI isn't even law. Compliance is voluntary. I'm sure Herters' and other commercial ammo meets SAMMI standards but that's alot of room to work in.

Agreed, and the manufacturers are constantly changing recipes when a cheaper powder or primer or wad comes available. It would be difficult to commit to a pressure "standard" when those changes happen so often.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
old colonel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

JNW wrote:
Regards,
Jeff

I second the exactly