16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Internet Security
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Just a word of caution to our members. I received an email today, from an individual claiming to be trying to join the 16ga Society. And he can't get ahold of an "administrator".

I deleted the email with no action, I recently had a credit card of mine comprimised, and will not answer these types of emails.

If the sender was legitimate, they can go the PM route.

Be careful, they will screw your eyes out if they get your private info. Rolling Eyes

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:25 am  Reply with quote

Took a run down to Kansas last January for some Quail hunting. Filled up in a small town gas / c store operation in N.E. Kansas. It must have been "dirty" as way later this past May I get a heads up from the CC Company via phone call telling me that within 24 hrs. I had bought a 5-6$ breakfast "IN THE SAME TOWN" where we bought gas 4 mos. before, had a "social fee" in the Netherlands of a $175.00, bought a $975.00 airline ticket to go from pt. a to pt. b in Europe.
Credit card outfit explained the breakfast was a "test" purchase by probably the original thief before selling the info. online to pro-s in the id theft world. Someone must have had fun with the "social fee"............

Needles to say the card was shutdown immediately. Wasn't stuck for any of it. The most surprising part was that it was 4 + mos. before it got used.

den
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

To be fair I tried joining this site wayyy back in 2009 and it just wouldn't work for me. It was pending for approval. If I recall correctly I ran into the same issue when I registered a couple months ago. You can't private message anyone if you aren't registered. As long as you don't give any personal info you're safe, just use common sense.