16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New hull crimps .
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:00 am  Reply with quote

I have been crimping my new hulls like this for awhile now . I use a Gaep crimp starter and a Gaep finish crimp in my drill press to close them . Once set they are all crimped to the same depth and AOL .

I can do this in a single stage or progressive press pull them out of the loader for final crimp in the drill press . Once the new hulls are done this way they are set to run through the loader as normal for the life of the hull .

These where loaded with 16grs GD ,dr16 wad and 7/8oz

Last edited by fn16ga on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:06 am  Reply with quote

Interesting, you do the precrimp and crimp in the drill press? Second can you explain the process? I assume you use it as a press.(not running)
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Yes running , the Gaep finish die needs to spin to work .
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Whatever you are doing they look fantastic.
JNW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:07 am  Reply with quote

fn,
Beautiful crimps. I applaud your effort and dedication. There's no way I'm going to pull shells out my 9000 and run them, one at a time, through a drill press. I'm willing to take the time to reload my ammo but, I want it done quickly and efficiently. I guess I've never understood the need for after market hull conditioning, crimp starters or other dies. (See exception below) I've reloaded once fired hulls of virtually every brand available today and several brands of new hulls. I gave up reloading Remingtons because mine needed the case mouths conditioned after one reload. My factory MEC dies have done everything I've ever needed. My hulls get loaded quickly, they are ballistically consistent and break targets well out to ridiculous distances. When I reload new factory fresh hulls they crimp just fine and even run through my Model 12. If you guys want to put extra steps into your reloading then have at it. If you think I should change what I do and will get better ammo please educate me.
Regards,
Jeff
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:53 am  Reply with quote

Well said JNW--X2
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:05 am  Reply with quote

I use a Lee Load All and it doesn't do new uncrimped hulls. I'm more then interested.Where to purchase and how much. The only site I could find wasn't that informative and the prices were pounds Question
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:09 am  Reply with quote

http://www.gaepreloading.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bJdCLJRX9g

AND for MORE money Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gG_cwX9HQI

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have never really had a big problem with Mec crimp dies either . The way I see it, for new hulls, this method gives 2 benefits (for me anyways ) . First when crimping new hulls with the Mec dies and storing them for a extended period of time ,say longer than a month, I always notice that the crimps seem to ( not open up ) but creep back a little , become less deep . In other words if originally crimped at .060 deep they will creep back to say .030 , they shot fine but I always wondered about the efficiency of the load as spect , loss of velocity and pressure . Where as when done with the Gaep dies not only are the folds tight with no gaps , unlike when done with any other pre-crimp die but the crimp will hold forever like a factory load.

The other benefit ( as I see it ) It sets the crimp better on the new hull like a factory once fired hull for future loadings . From then on I go back to the Mec dies for loading . Also I used this method for cut down hulls to set the crimp memory again.

When loading this way I have the drill press set up and ready to next my Mec loader and it goes pretty quick . I don't clamp the hull , I use the Gaep shell holder like they have on their machines , and it's as simple as setting the pre-crimped hulls in the drill press and pulling the handle down , done. For me it's worth the little extra time to get better factory like crimps on new hulls and make them easier to reload for the life of the hull.

Certainly not trying to sway anyone into doing anything different just simply showing the method I use for dealing with crimps on new hulls.

Mark

Thanks Mike, for the reference videos .

Last edited by fn16ga on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
JNW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for your explanation and reasoning. Sounds like this works well for you. I've never had any trouble with new hulls, but I'm certainly not stuffing them full. My 3/4 oz loads in Federal hulls are a tiny bit dished, but they work really well. Shot some today. Very Happy
Regards,
Jeff
gomerdog
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
I use a Lee Load All and it doesn't do new uncrimped hulls. I'm more then interested.Where to purchase and how much. The only site I could find wasn't that informative and the prices were pounds Question

I've done new uncrimped hulls with my Lee Load II. Maybe the crimps are not perfect, but the ammo seems to break clays all right. It is easier to crimp once-fired though.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, those are about the nicest crimps I've ever seen. Wow! I'm struggling with the Herter's Cheddites and not sure what's up with it. Mine are terrible! I've solved the problem by not loading them like Jeff and his RGL's. That said, I'm too stingy with hulls to not load them at some point in the future.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:23 am  Reply with quote

FN - those new hulls(almost all) can be a sticky wicket !! Yours look great . Mine come out OK on my MEC , but chedds and my old Activs are tough to get right the 1st time . Byrdogs starter helps , as does going SLOW on the starter / finisher , but still not totally wonderful . Still so much nicer to get once fireds !!

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:25 am  Reply with quote

Those look fantastic PP, FWIW; with new hulls or once fired trimmed down (w/byrdog's great trimmer) in my MEC's, both spindex and old school metal pre, I simply put a washer under the precrimp to set the creases a little bit deeper and it seems to work fine for me.

byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:18 am  Reply with quote

I get excellent results by skiving the case mouth. Doing that will close the center of the crimp. Some new hulls are skived but often the cut is to light.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/