16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New hull crimps .
robp
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

do you have a contact for kevin
thanks
rp
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Rob, when I did this a while ago I put a regular capscrew in the GAEP crimper (either hex or allen head will do, get one from Jerry's Hardware or wherever -- the threads in GAEP tools are metric, of course), cut off the head and voila, you now have a stud to chuck in your drill press. You'll probably have to cut the threaded section of the screw/bolt down, so it bottoms out and tightens on the area where the thread ends, or I suppose you could use a lock nut. Do not try to chuck up the threaded stud GAEP provides, as the grip is not so solid in a regular Jacobs type drill chuck.

fn16ga -- You did really nice work. Sometimes I think folks don't realize just how well that was done. Anyway, thanks for showing us. For one reason or another I did not stick with it to get as good at it as you have. Now your work has inspired me to go back and try to crimp new hulls as well as you have.

Folks you can go onto YouTube and see a bunch of videos by a fellow who calls himself,or his company IDIOGOMOSI. He has a site also: idiogomosi.com. Everything seems to be in Greek or something I don't recognize -- some is written in Cyrillic alphabet. However, the videos clearly demonstrate what is going on. He shows various stuff from GAEP, MEC 9000's modified with GAEP tools and used in co-ordination with GAEP tools, his own tools similar to GAEP, etc. -- an innovative practical shop guy, for sure. Worth a look.

Cheers!
Tony
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:44 am  Reply with quote

Just a question.........is there an advantage (internal or external ballistics) to this extra crimping step or is it purely cosmetic?

I know that Federal does apply some sort of rotation to their crimps on Gold Medal target ammo. They also use a deeper crimp depth, at about .070".

What I see as an up side is, many times when ammo sits for a bit, the round shoulder tends to mushroom. I would think that this method might prevent that......just not sure that there is any real advantage to it.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:53 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
I have never really had a big problem with Mec crimp dies either . The way I see it, for new hulls, this method gives 2 benefits (for me anyways ) . First when crimping new hulls with the Mec dies and storing them for a extended period of time ,say longer than a month, I always notice that the crimps seem to ( not open up ) but creep back a little , become less deep . In other words if originally crimped at .060 deep they will creep back to say .030 , they shot fine but I always wondered about the efficiency of the load as spect , loss of velocity and pressure . Where as when done with the Gaep dies not only are the folds tight with no gaps , unlike when done with any other pre-crimp die but the crimp will hold forever like a factory load.

The other benefit ( as I see it ) It sets the crimp better on the new hull like a factory once fired hull for future loadings . From then on I go back to the Mec dies for loading . Also I used this method for cut down hulls to set the crimp memory again.

These are the benefits for me as I see them .

I thought ballistics always benefit from from good well formed crimps .

Last edited by fn16ga on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:50 am; edited 2 times in total
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:53 am  Reply with quote

DC37,

1) With new hulls it imposes a permanent "crimp memory", just like a factory load. Most factory loads are closed with a spinning finisher, I believe.

2) Yes, it is a cosmetic advantage.

3) The upside you mention is actually a functional advantage for those who load thin-walled Reiffenhauser hulls and store them long enough that they go out of round or flare enough to be a problem for them.

4) Do you need to do this? Certainly not, unless 1, 2 and 3 above are important to you. They are to me.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:54 am  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke, I got the Idea from something posted awhile back , Thanks ?