16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca Model 37, 16 ga.
popplecop
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Besides that look at the beautiful wood, sure puts my plain jane 58 to shame.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:12 am  Reply with quote

popplecop wrote:
Besides that look at the beautiful wood, sure puts my plain jane 58 to shame.

I've seen just a few of your great guns at both Whispering Emerald Ridge and Wild Wings. And also the family you are blessed with many who also shoot and hunt because of you. You good sir are a blessed man in many ways and have done better than most could ever hope for.

I have a weakness for pretty wood in a shotgun. Of course I prefer guns that I shoot well and fit me, but am drawn toward fancy factory stocks. I know you favor many types and models of guns among them the 37 as I also do.

My hunting field grade 37 puts a smile on my face (thanks fourtarax!)

The 37T is the granddaddy of all the premier and higher end 37's IMO. 1940 prewar 37T restored by the head gunsmith at Ithaca, NY.

Even my Ohio made waterfowl 37 has AAA wood

Next is an Ithaca 37S in 16 ga. with SK factory choke, prewar of course. And a NID in 16 with modern dimensions and target configuration options. And then I'm done. Sure I am.... Embarassed
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:45 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:
Cold Iron wrote:
For choke tubes I had Briley do my 37RVD. They are bore matched and steel capable. If I was just going to open the choke I would send them to Mike and tell how much constriction I want. For my target 37 I am very happy with the job Briley did, and feel the gun was worth it.

Beautiful gun IMO. Could you tell us what year or era your gun was made in Cold Iron? Thanks.

1962 the 37RVD was made from 1961 until 1967 when the Supreme replaced it. You can spot them by the squared off checkering.

Thanks for the info. I take it your's one of the "Hammer Forged" era guns w/ the interchangeable barrel.

My DLXR 28" (originally full choke) vent rib model was made in 1970. It has the similarly shaped stock and forend. The wood is much plainer w/ impressed checkering but is still pleasing to look at and quite solid.

I had Mike Orlen install a set of Colonial choke tubes. I think it was a wise choice. The tubes just happen to fit the factory bore diameter (.662") perfectly. The barrel patterns beautifully with any of the tubes in place. I've used it for everything from skeet to hunting to informal trap shooting. It does it all very well.

My DLXR is very well balanced. it handles and points like like quick silver and swings through targets like a well oiled door hinge since it weighs just under 7 pounds. I trust your's handles great too. I believe we are two lucky dudes. Thanks again for sharing.
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

Me too, too. I've looking for a M37 16 ga. for a few years, after passing up a solid rib 37 in 16. Today, I walked into a gun shop I don't frequent often and on the rack was a 37 16 with a Poly Choke. It seemed to be in sound mechanical condition and cosmetically it was obviously used with slight wear from carrying. He quoted me "$350 out the door". So, out door we went.

After a quick cleaning, my opinion that it's in pretty good shape has not changed. It has a short crack in the butt close to the trigger guard that will bear watching. The trigger pull is pretty heavy. I'm hoping a field strip with cleaning and new lube will ease that some.

The Poly appears to have been aftermarket. The barrel is stamped "Mod." with the -2 stamp. With the Poly, it's 28".

Serial no. is in the 250K range, putting it in the 1949 range, a little older than a 20 ga. I have.

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:
Cold Iron wrote:
For choke tubes I had Briley do my 37RVD. They are bore matched and steel capable. If I was just going to open the choke I would send them to Mike and tell how much constriction I want. For my target 37 I am very happy with the job Briley did, and feel the gun was worth it.

Beautiful gun IMO. Could you tell us what year or era your gun was made in Cold Iron? Thanks.

1962 the 37RVD was made from 1961 until 1967 when the Supreme replaced it. You can spot them by the squared off checkering.

Thanks. I learned something. I had to replace the buttstock on my 20 ga. 37. I bought one off ebay and it has the squared checkering pattern. It does, indeed, have more figure than the original wood.

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

I have carried the new M-37 a couple of times this bird season. So far I've fired four rounds at quail and killed three birds. The last two were a double out of a covey rise. I haven't dropped a double in a few years. The Poly-choke was set on Mod and the last one was nearly 30 yards out, but fortunately, a straight away.