16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Single trigger doubles?
S.davis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking for a double gun, I think I would prefer an O/U because I shoot "better" with them, but would be willing to put in some time with a SxS to get my shooting up to par if that's the best option. However, I had a miserable time with middle finger busting on the only double gun I ever owned. It had an English stock, and double triggers. I don't know which was the culprit, but try as I might, I never learned to shoot it without busting my middle finger.

So my question is, what are my potential options for a 16 ga. double with single triggers, either selective or sequential?
kennedy756
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

or you could use the same finger for both triggers unless you want to shoot both barrels at the same time

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

S.davis
Welcome on your first posting
Maybe here
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/592538568

What gun was hurting your middle finger?
I had a Marlin 90 do that to me.

Mike

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the site.

What part of the gun was hitting your finger? I'm guessing it was the back of the trigger guard when you had your hand forward on the grip to reach the front trigger- but...?
S.davis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

kennedy756 wrote:
or you could use the same finger for both triggers unless you want to shoot both barrels at the same time

Perhaps I was unclear, the trigger guard would smack my middle finger when I pulled one of the triggers (I think the front) with my index finger.

I tried various suggestions (grip, repositioning hand, ensuring proper trigger finger placement, etc.) but couldn't beat it.
S.davis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
S.davis
Welcome on your first posting
Maybe here
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/592538568

What gun was hurting your middle finger?
I had a Marlin 90 do that to me.

Mike

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'd also love to get some vintage gun suggestions.

The offender was a 12 ga. CZ Ringneck.
S.davis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
Welcome to the site.

What part of the gun was hitting your finger? I'm guessing it was the back of the trigger guard when you had your hand forward on the grip to reach the front trigger- but...?

Exactly. I know it is a fairly common problem. Lacking the access or means to try various guns to see if it was just the model, or the trigger guard design, I feel like the most certain way to correct the problem is just not buy a double triggered gun...

Last edited by S.davis on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

How about: When reaching for the front trigger have your hand in a comfortable grip but instead of wrapping your lower three fingers around the grip just use the bottom two. Place your middle finger on the side of the trigger guard, next to your index finger.
S.davis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
How about: When reaching for the front trigger have your hand in a comfortable grip but instead of wrapping your lower three fingers around the grip just use the bottom two. Place your middle finger on the side of the trigger guard, next to your index finger.

Thanks. Next time I get the chance, I'll try that. Is the problem usually worse with English stocks as opposed to a pistol grip?
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:54 am  Reply with quote

I'm a single trigger, POW stock guy and have the same trouble with English stocks and double triggers that you refer to. I'm getting ready to load up the dogs and go hunt quail, but when I get in this evening, I'll post some pictures and descriptions of some nice single trigger guns with POW or open pistol grip stocks that may just be your cup of tea. They're out there, you just have to look a little harder.

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:42 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard...

Curious; are you sure the gun fits you correctly? If LOP is too short could it be the finger smashing culprit?

I prefer double triggers (including my 10ga O/U's w/max'ed out ammo) and have a 16ga Merkel 200 English w/DT's and none of my DT guns hurt my other fingers and I know my LOP's fit me very well.

rkittine
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:48 am  Reply with quote

I shot clays with all kinds of guns and those with Auto Safeties get modified, those with double triggers got sold and my squad mates yell "PUMP" for me when shooting any one of my pumps.

You can get a Dickenson from their custom shop with a single trigger. I found a new in the box CZ 16 gauge Ringneck with a single trigger at Buds Gun Shop for a super price and bought it. The trigger was terrible (corrected as far as my opinion in the SharpeTail but not available in 16) so I had the trigger worked by a guy who has done a number of Ringnecks. Now except for the POW grip, which I am not a fan of, I like the gun.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
S.davis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:17 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
I'm a single trigger, POW stock guy and have the same trouble with English stocks and double triggers that you refer to. I'm getting ready to load up the dogs and go hunt quail, but when I get in this evening, I'll post some pictures and descriptions of some nice single trigger guns with POW or open pistol grip stocks that may just be your cup of tea. They're out there, you just have to look a little harder.

Thanks. That would be very helpful
S.davis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:20 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Welcome aboard...

Curious; are you sure the gun fits you correctly? If LOP is too short could it be the finger smashing culprit?

I prefer double triggers (including my 10ga O/U's w/max'ed out ammo) and have a 16ga Merkel 200 English w/DT's and none of my DT guns hurt my other fingers and I know my LOP's fit me very well.

I'm not 100%. I no longer own the gun, and when I did, I was considerably less informed about proper fit and mechanics, but I will certainly look into it to make sure the next double gun I purchase is.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:34 am  Reply with quote

I get the bust all the time ... Char usually has a band aid waiting for me when I gwt to MOO- makes a nice pad - no bust !!