16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Single trigger doubles?
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Here is the BEST temporary fix that I have found,
Really Works
http://www.cvs.com/shop/personal-care/foot-care/footwear/cvs-hypoallergenic-gel-little-toe-sleeves-2ct-prodid-540650
Mike

p.s. you put one on your middle finger Smile

fred lauer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:31 am  Reply with quote

As another option, try a pair of Gripswell shooting gloves. The left glove has a double layered palm for hot barrels. The right has an extra layer of leather on the middle finger to remedy the hit finger problem that you are having. That said, as some one mentioned, stock fit is the root cause of your problem not double triggers. Try a gun with a better fit, you might be surprised at the results. Trying new stuff with guns is always fun, Good Luck. Fred

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Most O/U models come with but one trigger. Since you say you shoot better w/ a stack barrel, it seems you've answered your own question. I find single triggers are less confusin' w/ no bruisin' myself. Very Happy

I also suggest you look for a clean used 16 ga. Browning Citori O/U. I'm sure I'm not alone around here on this one. Good luck.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Here are a few single trigger/POW stocked 16 ga guns that I've found to work pretty well for bird hunting. The top two guns are Spanish, built by Zabala and are quite similar. The top one is a BSA Classic that came with fixed chokes, but I had Briley install screw-ins. The barrels are 26" in length. The next gun is a TriStar Brittany, and it came with screw in chokes. The Brittany came with 27" barrels. Both guns weigh right at 6 pounds 11 ounces, balance and handling are excellent. Both guns occasionally come up for sale on auction sites.

The next gun is a custom ordered Dickinson Estate that is built on a trigger plate action and has a nicely rounded action. the barrels are 28" with Teague style screw in chokes. The gun weighs in at 6 1/2 pounds and handles nicely. A custom order would be your best bet for this gun.

The last one is the CZ Ringneck 16 ga that is a solid gun, but quite heavy for my taste in bird guns at 7 pounds 8 ounces. It was my first 16 ga, so I occasionally take it to the preserve to shoot a few birds for old times sake, but never for hunting wild birds.

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Aren't the 60's era beretta 16 silver hawk sxs's mostly single trigger guns?

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Yes they are (mine is anyway). The 16 gauge Silver Hawks I've seen have had a single non-selective trigger which fires the more open barrel first. I've never seen a 16 ga. Silver Hawk w/ double triggers, but I've heard others claim they exist. So they might. Even so, a single non-selective trigger on a double gun is not the big problem some folks seem to think.

Typically, the Silver Hawks I've seen have 26 inch barrels and are choked IC and Mod. The chokes on my gun are very tight for their designations and are more like 1/4-3/4 choke. Knowing this and knowing how to select the right loads for each barrel and situation will overcome a seeming H-cap. Spreader and extra tight patterning loads solve the problem for me.

This is also where knowledgeable reloading skills come into play. If we know how to roll our own and how to use them, then we are one leg up on those who don't IMO. We can make almost any well made double work for us. At least, that has been my experience. Might work for anyone. Very Happy
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Yes they are (mine is anyway). The 16 gauge Silver Hawks I've seen have had a single non-selective trigger which fires the more open barrel first. I've never seen a 16 ga. Silver Hawk w/ double triggers, but I've heard others claim they exist. So they might. Even so, a single non-selective trigger on a double gun is not the big problem some folks seem to think.

Typically, the Silver Hawks I've seen have 26 inch barrels and are choked IC and Mod. The chokes on my gun are very tight for their designations and are more like 1/4-3/4 choke. Knowing this and knowing how to select the right loads for each barrel and situation will overcome a seeming H-cap. Spreader and extra tight patterning loads solve the problem for me.

This is also where knowledgeable reloading skills come into play. If we know how to roll our own and how to use them, then we are one leg up on those who don't IMO. We can make almost any well made double work for us. At least, that has been my experience. Might work for anyone. Very Happy

My 16 ga. Silver Hawk and the only other one I've handled both have 28" barrels with double triggers (front articulated).
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

It's a common problem. A straight grip English stock can cause middle finger bruising, moreso with double triggers. The straight grip slips backward in the right hand upon firing, causing the trigger guard to slam against the middle finger. Ouch!

A good pair of well fitted leather shooting gloves will prevent the grip from slipping in the hand, eliminating the problem. Or you could attach one of these little cushions: http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/gun_services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=4186&ST=Finger%20Cushion#.WA7hlyRriXA
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:00 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
It's a common problem. A straight grip English stock can cause middle finger bruising, moreso with double triggers. The straight grip slips backward in the right hand upon firing, causing the trigger guard to slam against the middle finger. Ouch!

A good pair of well fitted leather shooting gloves will prevent the grip from slipping in the hand, eliminating the problem. Or you could attach one of these little cushions: http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/gun_services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=4186&ST=Finger%20Cushion#.WA7hlyRriXA

Fortunately I've never had the finger pain problems with any of my shotguns. My straight grip shotguns never slip in my hands bare handed or gloved.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:

My 16 ga. Silver Hawk and the only other one I've handled both have 28" barrels with double triggers (front articulated).

Lucky you. Laughing I figured somebody would chime in. Thanks for sharing. BTW, what are the designated chokes on yours Dave? I'm betting they are also tighter than typical US standard unless they've been opened up some.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

This one had Briley Thinwalls installed by the prior owner, but I'm sure they were tight to begin with.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:06 am  Reply with quote

The single trigger 16 ga SXS's are out there in my preferred configuration, you just gotta keep looking. Dropped a bid on this one this morning and won the auction. Looks like a nice condition unmolested Uggie. Should make another nice quail gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/592446947

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
The single trigger 16 ga SXS's are out there in my preferred configuration, you just gotta keep looking. Dropped a bid on this one this morning and won the auction. Looks like a nice condition unmolested Uggie. Should make another nice quail gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/592446947

Looks like you got a good one. I have a Lion Country sxs Uggie in 28ga, w/single non selective trigger, that I really like.
You got one heck of a deal on that one, should be a real keeper. Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:03 am  Reply with quote

I have read with interest several mentions about finger bruising while shooting doubles over the years and I still can't get my head around how this happens. I have shot single and double triggered doubles for 45 years and never had this happen. My index finger finds the right front edge of the trigger guard as my anchor/benchmark and my other three fingers are wrapped around the grip. Pistol, POW, or English grip, 10 gauge down to 28, never happened. Maybe because I have large hands and gap between index and middle fingers? Do those who suffer this problem have small hands? Please enlighten as I'm curious. Reno

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:19 am  Reply with quote

The trigger guard hits the back of the middle finger. I've noticed it happening mostly in straight-grip guns with double triggers in lighter weight guns shooting heavier field loads- ie more recoil.