16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Single trigger doubles?
old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

I have experienced finger pinch as I call it from a double trigger gun. In every case it was either a poor mounting of the gun and or loose grip. Better technique resulted in zero reoccurrence.

Almost all my double trigger side by side have an articulated front triger that also helps prevent or reduce getting pinched

I am a double trigger guy through and through and rarely shoot a single trigger save on my father's supperposed once in a great while

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

+1 my brother; two triggers, four options. Reno

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Two Pipe Shoot wrote:

On single triggers it's a lot simpler on the decision making. Basically it goes shoot or don't shoot. Works for me.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:40 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
Two Pipe Shoot wrote:

On single triggers it's a lot simpler on the decision making. Basically it goes shoot or don't shoot. Works for me.
I get that and understand that works great for many. I'm a bit spoiled by my early experiences of carrying a two trigger double with which I learned to load with a slug in the right/modified barrel and a XX load of #1 buck in the left, full choke pipe. When I stalked deer down South as a teen, I didn't have to open my gun to change loads for a running deer (buckshot) and a standing deer (slug). This versatility would have been there with a single trigger, but I didn't own a double considered superior at the time (single trigger due to the simplicity).

The utility of two different choke constructions was never lost for me having learned the trick in my early years and when you add the utility of using two different shell loads you come up with four combinations of application. I have learned and shared that I grew up with two triggers so there never was a learning curve for me for which I am grateful. What that allows me to do is be a more efficient gunner when it's time to shoot.

As a shotgun instructor, I support the school of thought that states "one careful shot is better than two quick ones." When I apply this in the field, I draw the line at twenty yards and shoot small shot in an open choke for targets closer than twenty and larger shot in a tighter choke for targets past twenty yards. Screw in chokes make modern double guns very versatile and spreader loads can add the same versatility for fixed choked doubles.

When is this versatility desirable?, when I hunt flushing birds such as ruffed grouse I often use #9 shot in a cylinder bore and 7.5's in a modified choke. A dense pattern of nines under twenty yards on the leading edge of a moving target is a head shot and the larger shot and tighter choke is great for follow up as a body shot. I use fives in my modified choke for body shots on pheasant, but have killed many roosters with the nines under twenty yards. I have exploited this shortcut in the turkey woods too, where I commonly use 7.5's in a modified barrel for sub twenty five yard shots and sixes in the full choke pipe next door for longer shots. It's easy to miss a turkey head with a full choke at close range so a wider and denser (more shot in the pattern than the sixes in the left barrel) pattern is desirable. I have used this strategy effectively with 28, 20, 16 and 12 gauge doubles, and I usually use a double trigger 28 gauge double with choke tubes for most of my field work, pheasants included.

I have also told the story about killing a grouse at 40 yards in a small window because I didn't have time to cycle through a broad pattern choke to get to my tight choke with heavier shot and better downrange energy, I simply pulled the rear trigger instead of the front. Had I been using a single trigger gun I would have most likely set the barrels for a going away target, and I would have had one shot in that small window with a cylinder choked load of nines which is a poor choice for a forty yard target. My faculties are too feeble to change barrels with a selector switch on a fast flush so I cannot apply the versatility factor with a single triggered double.

Not to besmirch the choice of many to use one trigger on a double, to each his own. However, based upon my experience and my love for options, I intend to teach my daughter, my last hope of a child to be my hunting buddy, two triggers so that she may be a more versitile gunner. Thanks for listening.

Reno

S Hillis
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Two Pipe Shoot wrote:
I have read with interest several mentions about finger bruising while shooting doubles over the years and I still can't get my head around how this happens. I have shot single and double triggered doubles for 45 years and never had this happen. My index finger finds the right front edge of the trigger guard as my anchor/benchmark and my other three fingers are wrapped around the grip. Pistol, POW, or English grip, 10 gauge down to 28, never happened. Maybe because I have large hands and gap between index and middle fingers? Do those who suffer this problem have small hands? Please enlighten as I'm curious. Reno

TPS, It's got nothing to do with the size of the hands. Your experience mirrors mine perfectly ...... never had it happen to me in 57 years of shooting single and double trigger S x S guns .............. pistol grip, POW grip, and straight grip. And, I have small hands for a 6'2" man.

SRH
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:08 pm  Reply with quote

S. Davis -- Finger bashing is almost always a mount/grip problem. A lot of fellows who started out shooting rifles from rests or prone positions seem to like to hold the elbow of their trigger hand (that's the master hand, but not the pointing hand!) high, positioning the arm approximately parallel to the ground. Some get really carried away, and hold the elbow above the level of their ear!! It's not impossible to shoot that way, but it is a mistake for a few reasons, one of which is that it pivots the grip/trigger hand up so that there is more likelihood of middle-finger interference with the trigger guard on recoil, and another is that it offers poor restraint and control of the gun in the vertical direction. It is also a "slow" and overly complicated mount that compromises visual acquisition of the target, thus serving the shooter poorly in the field. It also promotes gun "canting".

Difficulties with the "high elbow" mount have nothing to do per se with whether the gun has a pistol grip or straight grip, but problems will probably be exacerbated with a straight grip stock as the absence of the pistol grip makes for a weaker grasp when the elbow is high. A proper mount places both arms and elbows at about 45 degrees down from horizontal. The change from horizontal arm positioning to 45 degrees down is often difficult for shooters because, as with any ingrained habit, a change initially feels awkward. However, making the change is worth it. It's easier when you understand why it works.
S.davis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:01 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll certainly pay more attention to my elbow height. I did take lessons from a shotgun instructor who did not note anything askew with my mount, but perhaps it got missed. I'll spend some time at the course and see if my elbow rides up past 45 though, just in case.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:41 am  Reply with quote

If your gun fits you properly, then I'm betting gun shift upon recoil is the problem. There is a simple solution-- a firm mount. First make certain your gun fits you. If not, then have it fitted until it does. A firm smooth gun mount won't be possible until the gun fits you--period, so don't even bother to try until the gun fits. I can't stress this enough.

I'd not spend a lot of time thinking about where your elbows (or anything else) are unless you purposefully cant them up. That's a bit unnatural. The best, most firm gun mount should be done w/o deliberate thought. I feels natural and easy when you do and provides a firm platform against recoil and gun shift during a shot.

The best way to mount a shotgun is to start by placing your feet in a position which lets you simultaneously move the gun and your upper body from the waist from side to side and up and down w/o binding yourself. Now gently but firmly gripping the gun with both hands in the same natural position you normally do. You should be able to reach the front trigger w/ the first pad of your finger w/o trying to stretch your hand forward after it is placed on the grip. Simply move the hand forward until you can and start from there. Then start your mount w/your eye focused firmly on the mark (most important) and the gun parallel to the ground at about waist height.

Now simply raise the gun to your face simultaneously with both hands w/ your eye dead on the mark w/o thinking. The comb will contact your cheek and the barrel will be aligned w/ the mark (w/o looking at the barrel) at the same time you place your shoulder pocket slightly forward and firmly against the butt. The butt should not be resting out anywhere on your upper arm. It should be snuggled naturally into your shoulder pocket--again w/o thought. Simply repeat the process until it's a smooth as butter and as natural as scratching your head.

I'm betting your finger pinching will disappear once you master a firm mount in one smooth move w/o thought. Good luck.
drbob
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

The only double that got my middle finger, and it got it REALLY bad was a Sabatti 500 nitro Express that I took to Zimbabwe years ago. Hurt me so bad I gave it to my PH never to fire it again. My 16 gauge guns do not bite me, either single selective triggers or double triggers. I attribute it to having a good solid grip with the trigger hand.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:13 am  Reply with quote

Reno , you've seen the Davis - gets me every time from the front trigger ... so does the reg LC . The Damascus old timer is built stouter , and use less shelling - no worries !!

Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:27 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
I'm a single trigger, POW stock guy and have the same trouble with English stocks and double triggers that you refer to. I'm getting ready to load up the dogs and go hunt quail, but when I get in this evening, I'll post some pictures and descriptions of some nice single trigger guns with POW or open pistol grip stocks that may just be your cup of tea. They're out there, you just have to look a little harder.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is POW stand for as it relates to stocks? I guess the P is pistol, but am not sure about the OW...

JNW
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:35 am  Reply with quote

Prince Of Wales. One of them supposedly used a gun with a very relaxed pistol grip. It should have a flat knob, but round knob grips like Brownings are often referred to as POW. Here's what they're supposed to look like.

Same stock dimensions, but with a round knob.

[/URL]

Regards,
Jeff
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:55 am  Reply with quote

At one point not long ago, all I ever knew was pistol grip stocks, because the types of guns I was buying (pump, semi-auto) didn't even offer an option for a straight stock. When I bought a browning superlite feather, it was my first exposure to the straight stock. I love it! It seems to carry easier and makes mounting the gun quick and fluid.

Additionally, I have a sporting clay shooting tips DVD that discusses hand position on the trigger/pistol grip. When your hand is grasping lower on the pistol grip (your hand is rotating to where your thumb is pointing up vertically), it engages muscles in your arm that limit your range of motion. When your hand is grasping the stock above the pistol grip (your hand is positioned more naturally, with your thumb pointing generally forward), these arm muscles are not engaged and do not limit your range of motion. While they stopped short of discussing straight vs pistol grip stocks , but I think it may be applicable. That being said, there must be an inherent benefit for the pistol grip, or competitive shooters would most certainly use straight stocks.

My preference now is to have English/straight stocks for my upland hunting guns, but shoot sporting clays with a pistol grip stock.

Although I own two SxS guns with double triggers, I don't like them at all. I am looking for a good double gun that has a straight stock and single trigger. Baaed on the number of fine double guns out there with single triggers, it seems that this was more of an alternate option or special order. I would love to have a list that showed various manufacturers/models and whether they produced any (how many?) in straight vs pistol grip, single vs double trigger, and various gauge offerings. I guess I'll just have to rely on the collective knowledge of forums like this and whatever I can find on google searches. I just wish there was a setting where google wouldn't show guns that have already been sold!

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Most of the stocks I lump under the heading of POW would more properly be called "rounded knob" or "semi-pistol grip" as Jeff so aptly showed with his post above. At least I don't refer to them as "Prince of Whales" as some websites are fond of doing. I've purchased a few prince of whales guns off auction sites and sometimes jokingly refer to them as my "Moby Dick" guns.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

I think some folks like to use POW or Prince of Wales, because it adds a sense of royalty to their guns. That's fine with me. Why should I care. I put my pants on the same way the royals do. At least I think I do not having a valet and all. Maybe their valets hold up the Prince's pants by the waist and he pole vaults into them. I can't say having never been there to see just how it's done.

But others over on this side of the pond might find calling their shot gun grips POW a bit too LA-DEE-DA. Rolling Eyes I guess one man's handsome prince is another's pransome hince (Rindacella, Archie Campbell on Hee Haw) Very Happy

As for me, the closest I ever got to British royalty was when as kids we'd call up smoke shops and ask if they had Prince Albert in a can. I'm sure you all know the rest of the gag. If you don't, then LA-DEE-DA to you. Laughing

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:33 am; edited 3 times in total