16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rifleman Article - Browning Ammo
JPM98VMI
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:15 am  Reply with quote

Catching up on my reading last night, this article was on the agenda:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/9/21/editors-test-new-browning-ammo/

Found it some where on the disappointing side of interesting that such emphasis was placed upon the shot shells being "non-reloadable".

Granted, as much as I like my Brownings, I'm not such a fan-boy that the ammo is all that interesting to me.

Commentary from folks that shoot a box of it to see if they are a Cheddite or similar hulls would be appreciated.

1947 Browning Automatic-5 (stealth Sweet 16) - ventilated Poly-Choke
1937-42 Savage 430
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Bought a box of 20's-no other gauge in stock.Looks like a Cheditte primer,smooth hull resembles the cheap Winny promo hull.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:04 am  Reply with quote

When it comes to modern plastic shot shells, there is really no such thing as non-reloadable. All can be safely reloaded if we understand how it's done.

True, some hulls are designed with reloadability in mind. Typically these premium grade hulls are compression formed one piece types which usually last longer and are easier to re-crimp. But as many of us here already understand, even the lowly econo grade polyformed hulls like Cheddites and other closely similar polyformed hulls are reloadable. These el cheapos may require more knowledge and skill to get the best out of them and usually can't be reloaded more than a few times before the hull mouths split. But they are certainly better than none at all.

Best learn what's what and how to use what's available IMO. Either that or be at the mercy of the corporate wolves and their disinformation. Cool

PS: Polyformed plastic hulls pre-date compression formed hulls by a decade or more. They were reloadable back then, and they are now.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

I would not attempt to reload these hulls unless I could find data for them. Just because they may be similar to some other hull, similar is not the same. If there is no data, then don't take a chance. If there is data, then have at it.
xvigauge

JPM98VMI
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

@ hoashooter --- The resemblance of the win promo doesn't' surprise me. Seems like the author was drinking the promo Kool-Aid on the "it's not Winchester ammo". Just the same, glad to see more options / competition in the 16 gauge ammo market.

@ 16gaugeguy -- We're singing from the same hymnal.

@ XVIgauge -- Words of caution appreciated. The volume of RGLs in the inventory awaiting a first reload eliminates this problem for me at the moment.

happy shooting
jpm

1947 Browning Automatic-5 (stealth Sweet 16) - ventilated Poly-Choke
1937-42 Savage 430
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

XVIgauge wrote:
I would not attempt to reload these hulls unless I could find data for them. Just because they may be similar to some other hull, similar is not the same. If there is no data, then don't take a chance. If there is data, then have at it.
xvigauge

All Cheddite type polyformed hulls are straight walled, with a somewhat flat plastic base wads. When loaded w/ the same components, the combustion chamber formed between the plastic wad base and hull base wad will be identical for all practical purposes. Identical powder charges will burn just about the same if all else is equal including primer type, wad type, and crimp type. Minor differences in in height from the base wads to the hull mouths are not important as long as the hulls can be firmly crimped. The internal volume of each hull to the top of the shot column under the crimp will be nearly identical when identical load components are used.

Comparing these new Browning hulls to other existing Cheddite types is pretty easy. Slice one of each lengthwise down the middle and remove one side. Compare the type, and shape of the base wads plus the wall thickness of each split hull.

If the base wads and wall thicknesses are closely comparable, then measure the height of each hull from the mouth to the base wad. Weigh one of each uncut hull to get the tare weights and record them. Next, fill each hull to the same exact height w/ water, weigh them, subtract the tare weights, and compare the volume by the weight of the water. If both have an internal volume within 2%, than both can be safely loaded using the same data as long as any max average peak pressure loads are avoided.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:01 am  Reply with quote

All of the above written by 16gguy may be true, BUT, the fact remains that there is no published data on reloading the mentioned Browning hulls. If there was, he would have mentioned it instead of going through a detailed litany of measuring, weighing, comparing, cutting, etc. The golden rule in reloading is DO NOT substitute components. What is the point in taking a chance on questionable hulls when so many appropriate ones (with data) are available? We spend 100's and sometimes 1000's of dollars on nice shotguns and then want to save a few pennies on hulls? What he is suggesting is unsafe reloading practices. Steer clear of such advice and I personally would not want to be near anyone who is shooting potentially dangerous reloads.
xvigauge

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:44 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
XVIgauge wrote:
xvigauge

All Cheddite type polyformed hulls are straight walled, with a somewhat flat plastic base wads. When loaded w/ the same components, the combustion chamber formed between the plastic wad base and hull base wad will be identical for all practical purposes. Identical powder charges will burn just about the same if all else is equal including primer type, wad type, and crimp type. Minor differences in in height from the base wads to the hull mouths are not important as long as the hulls can be firmly crimped. The internal volume of each hull to the top of the shot column under the crimp will be nearly identical when identical load components are used.

Comparing these new Browning hulls to other existing Cheddite types is pretty easy. Slice one of each lengthwise down the middle and remove one side. Compare the type, and shape of the base wads plus the wall thickness of each split hull.

If the base wads and wall thicknesses are closely comparable, then measure the height of each hull from the mouth to the base wad. Weigh one of each uncut hull to get the tare weights and record them. Next, fill each hull to the same exact height w/ water, weigh them, subtract the tare weights, and compare the volume by the weight of the water. If both have an internal volume within 2%, than both can be safely loaded using the same data as long as any max average peak pressure loads are avoided.

What he said
If they are Cheddite hulls they are quite reloadable no matter who slaps their name on them.
Here's three flavors of 3" Cheddite hulls loaded with RSI #131 steel shot recipe, they say Hevi Shot, Kent and Hornady on the side but they are still Cheddite hulls and use the same load recipes. All of the hulls load similarly and chronograph between 1560 -1580 fps.
[URL=http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/Joe_Speroni/media/IMG_0113_zpsodmxxvze.jpg.html] [/URL]
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:49 am  Reply with quote

That's my point. "If they are..."
cottontop

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

I guess it's a good thing we ain't in Florida 16GAwaterfowler. We wouldn't want to scare the pants of him w/ our terrifyingly dangerous reloads. Laughing
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I guess it's a good thing we ain't in Florida 16GAwaterfowler. We wouldn't want to scare the pants of him w/ our terrifyingly dangerous reloads. Laughing

Yeah no Kidding, Hope you been doing OK, was taking inventory the other day I still have a couple of bags of AA16 wads you sold me years ago.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

XVIgauge wrote:
That's my point. "If they are..."
cottontop

Real simple ,Cheddite hulls have a unique primer size that's .002 larger than American made primers, your American made primers will bottom and not fit in Cheddite hull. RIO, Fiocchi Nobel Sport, and the other off Euro brand hulls usually have a Fiocchi style primer in them that's .003-.004 larger than American made primers and will usually be a tough fit in Cheddite hulls.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Now I know why I came back to this forum. It is such a pleasant and friendly place and lots of posters who never wrote the book but who know more than the guys who did write the books. I now feel so informed and enlightened. Still waiting to see the data.
xvigauge

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:14 am  Reply with quote

XVIgauge wrote:
Now I know why I came back to this forum. It is such a pleasant and friendly place and lots of posters who never wrote the book but who know more than the guys who did write the books. I now feel so informed and enlightened. Still waiting to see the data.
xvigauge

I don't understand what the confusion is all about. Browning does not make their own ammunition they just have their name put on it by Winchester. So your either getting Winchester hulls/ammunition made in the USA or Winchester Australia Ammunition which uses Cheddite hulls and is made in Australia.
The ammunition market has changed quite a bit and there's hundreds of brand names out there today, however there are very few manufacturers of ammunition that only use a few different kinds of hulls. RIO which is owned by Maxam outdoors and used to be part of UEE group manufactures quite few brand and house names of ammunition. It doesn't matter who's name is on the outside of the hulls they are all RIO hulls, same goes for Cheddite of France they manufacture hulls for hundreds of brand and house name ammunition companies.
Years ago Federal used to make ammunition for Montgomery-Wards, Western Auto, and Gambles . You looked in Lymans #2 manual and it stated that and also stated the hulls are all the same and load the same way no matter who's name was on the hulls.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:57 am  Reply with quote

...and my favorite old Federal..."Hiawatha." (sold by Gambles as noted)